Julian Leslie's Birth Story--EXTREMELY LONG!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2011, 09:14 PM
mrsgranchango's Avatar Resident Thread Killer
If nobody reads it, I understand, because it's quite long! Just letting you know!!

Saturday May 14 was a fairly uneventful day for us. We slept in pretty late and went to lunch with some friends from church at the most awesome Italian restaurant in town. After getting tons of suggestions on how to start labor, I came home and took a nap. We goofed off and cleaned the house a bit. At 7:00 I noticed what I thought was a contraction and again about twenty minutes later. I didnít say anything to Adam immediately and nothing happened again till 8:00, when I had two about the same duration and length apart. I told him about them and we kept an eye on them, but it seemed to stop. At 10:00 it happened again, so we started to think this might really be it. We decided to go to the grocery store just in case and somehow in there we decided to go to Dairy Queen as well. The cramps were definitely contractions and they were about 10-15 minutes apart. While at the grocery store, I had three of them and they were strong enough I couldnít walk until each was over. We were pretty excited that this was it, but tried to stay calm, since it was pretty late at night and we wanted some sleep.
We tried to sleep, but overnight they progressed to every 10 minutes. I got as much sleep as I could in between contractions, but I really didnít sleep much at all. About 5:00am contractions got really intense and they were closer to every five minutes apart. I wanted to call the midwife right away, but I worked my way through them until 6:30 when I couldnít wait any more. We agreed that the apprentice midwife (who lives about an hour away) would get ready right away; she got to our house about 9:00. We talked over everything that had happened until then. She checked me about 10:00 and I was about three centimeters dilated. She hung out and I did my thing for a few hours. She checked me in the afternoon and I progressed to about four centimeters, so I was excited. Everything was going well, so my husband and I lay down and took a nap. I felt like I was handling everything just great, which was so exciting!
The apprentice midwife left just after checking me; everything was in great shape, so she went to the main midwifeís house to pick up a few extra supplies. Both midwives came back about 6:00. My mother and in-laws were here. The midwives were worried the company was distracting me and keeping me from dilating as fast I could be, so at some point in there we decided to lie down and take another nap while the family went out for dinner. After we woke up, I worked through some more contractions until we decided to check my progress again at about 8:00. The apprentice midwife checked first, but was unsure of what she was feeling compared to earlier, so the main midwife checked me. She had trouble finding my cervix, which I thought was weird. They thought they could feel the bag of waters, but were surprised when I said I could feel them touching it. That check easily took fifteen or twenty minutes, because they were feeling around trying to figure out why things werenít adding up right. This is where everything started to change. They told me I was a champ for letting me check them for that long!
The official decision was that my cervix closed from four centimeters to barely a fingertip dilated. The contractions themselves started to change. It sounds horrible, but the best way to describe it is ďbutt labor;Ē it wasnít in my back, it was way down low, and it was masquerading as constipation. Our moms were back by this point, so they and the apprentice midwife went to buy out the laxative section at Walgreenís. They loaded me up with every laxative known to man, thinking that clearing my system would jumpstart labor and I would start progressing again. We started the laxatives about 9:00 that night and at 10:00, after nothing was happening, the midwives decided to go home and get a little bit of sleep, so they told us to do the same. We tried, but the ďcontractionsĒ were becoming excruciating at this point, so sleep didnít happen for anyone. We worked this out until 3:00, when they decided to try the enemas. I tried the first one, and nothing happened, so we tried the second one about half an hour later (I think? My sense of time at this point is fairly skewed.) Around 4:00, I told them all that I was done and I couldnít do this anymore, so I called the main midwife and told her I couldnít keep going. They were back over to our house within the hour and they scrambled around gathering stuff to transfer to the hospital. I didnít think I could make it to Baptist, even though thatís where my OB backup works, but they talked me into it (for which I am now grateful!), so we left around 6:00 and got there about half an hour later. I thought I was going for good, but I think initially the midwivesí plan was to get me the super, heavy duty laxative they give colonoscopy patients, thinking that would get everything cleared out and I could return home to keep laboring. After checking in and getting a room, they gave me the laxative and sent the ultrasound tech in to do an NST and BPP. The ultrasound guy was pretty nice, but strictly business. I tried going to the bathroom, but not even the heavy duty laxatives worked, which was extremely discouraging. I kept begging them to knock me out completely and just take the baby; I was probably delusional at this point. Around 10:30 or 11:00 the OB came in to check me and see what was happening; he did another cervical check and said that I was almost completely dilated. He said he was somewhat worried about my pelvic opening being too small for the babyís head to fit through, but that I could still try for a vaginal birth. He thought the best plan would be to get the epidural, break my water, let my cervix finish dilating and go from there. I had the epidural in by noon (itís not the liquid heaven my friend described it as, but it was definitely a huge relief!) and they broke my water. There was light meconium staining, which was worrisome, but they said it wasnít serious. I dozed off and on for a few hours, since I hadnít slept at all since Friday night.
The apprentice midwife was with me this entire time. While I was napping, she brought along some reading material, and just so happened to stumble across an article about rolling a towel or blanket and placing it right under the hips to widen the top of the pelvic opening, so when it was time to push, she asked the nurse if we could try this first. At 5:00, the OB came back and told me I was ready to push. While they got everything set up, the nurse let us try the towel maneuver. She was so flexible about everything and interested that I had planned a home birth, so I was really lucky to get her.
I tried a few practice pushes without holding my breath. I didnít want to do the directed pushing, since I was beyond terrified of hemorrhoids, but the nurse with me told me it would be more effective. They let me hold my breath in six to ten second increments three times during each contraction, so in the end I did the directed pushing, but I think it worked out for the best. Everything seemed to be progressing well enough. They told me when they could start seeing his head during each contraction and that was SO awesome! He was right there (I later learned I made it as far as a +2 station!) and it seemed like I would at least get the vaginal birth! After an hour and a half of pushing, the OB came back in to check for progress. There was enough that he let me keep pushing for another half an hour, but he seemed kind of disappointed that there wasnít more. He came back at 7:15 and looked over the tracings from the monitors. He explained everything to us, which I really appreciated. The baby wasnít as far down as he should be after pushing that long. His base heart rate was now above the normal range and he was losing variability during each contraction. Combined with the meconium in the water, the OB gave me the option of pushing for just a little longer, but said the more we waited the more likely he was to end up in distress. He said that with an epidural pushing really shouldnít take more than two hours, preferably closer to one. He left the decision up to us, but felt quite strongly about the cesarean. I had been pushing as hard as I possibly could at this point, so by the two hour mark, I was starting to feel tired. Adam and I talked it over and decided he was probably right about everything. We had tried everything possible to prevent the cesarean, but at that point, it felt necessary.
After we agreed, a flood of nurses came in to start prepping everything. They put the oxygen on my face and started loading drugs into the epidural. Our family was still with us and they were all reassuring me that everything was going to be okay. The nurses wheeled me into the operating room about 7:45 and made Adam wait outside for a few minutes, while the anesthesiologist placed more drugs into the epidural. While they made him wait outside, I started to get really anxious; this was as close as I got to panicking. After Adam came in, I calmed down some, but that was about the time the surgery started. It seemed like forever before my belly felt numb enough for them to start cutting; then suddenly, I felt the strange tugging and pulling sensation the OB warned me about. Adam said it didnít take more than ten minutes before Julian was out and being suctioned. It took a minute or two for them to suction everything out before I heard his first cries, which sound is quite possibly the most beautiful sound on Earth. I didnít think Iíd ever get to see him, and for some reason I kept asking how much he weighed. Nobody could hear or understand me with the oxygen mask on my face, so I finally stopped asking. Eventually, the OB brought him over for me to see and Adam snapped the first picture of the two of us on his phone. I barely got to touch him before they took him away again. Adam told me they were already sewing me back up; even that didnít take as long as I thought it would. The whole surgery was probably about thirty minutes long. They wheeled me back to the labor room that Iíd been in before and a few minutes later, brought Julian and the rest of the family in. It was actually in this room where they weighed and measured him. I donít know who got to hold him first, but I know he was passed around to the family and I could hear them all cooing over him. Though I was flat on my back and drugged beyond all measure, they let me hold him and even let me try to breastfeed him (I later learned this was a bad idea, since I couldnít see what I was doing and I was out of it anyway.) I donít know how long everyone stayed, but eventually they all left. Adam was the last to leaveóhe said he wanted to go home and get some sleep. After everyone left, I was still trying to breastfeed Julian and holding him by myself. I was terrified of dropping him, since I was so groggy and already dozing off, but I didnít know how to page a nurse for help. Eventually one showed up and told me they were taking me to my room and that he would have to go to the nursery for the night since Adam didnít stay with me.
I know nothing goes exactly according to plan, but Julianís birth was much more exciting than I ever could have imagined. The midwives and I have talked about all the strange things that happened in his birth. They still donít know when or how I dilated in the end. They donít know why the labor felt like it was in my butt instead of my belly or my back. Both midwives have said they learned an awful lot from my birth. I am at peace with having the Cesarean; I know everyone tried everything to prevent it, so I know it was really necessary in the end. While the recovery is hard, Julian is an angel and I am incredibly grateful for the whole experience!

May 31st, 2011, 09:25 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awesome story. I am so baffled by your regression/progression!! you are a birthing goddess, and I am so proud of you!!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Wow, what a story! Congrats on your wonderful man!

June 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! That is crazy how you seemed to regress in labor. I've never heard of that! I am happy that he made it here safely though and that you are content with the whole experience!

BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

June 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
oh man....hugs to you...what a crazy birth story....so glad that YOU are at peace with it and that you had a great team of supportive people with you....HUGS

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
June 4th, 2011, 11:32 PM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lurking from july ddc..! ur birth story is mazing..!! congrats..!!! i cant believe the ur cervix closed and opened up after that..!!! its really an amazing thing to read..!!! enjoy ur lil one..!!!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

June 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM
eva_luvs_dave's Avatar team green!
That is a great story and you are a trooper!!! I'm so glad he is here and healthy and you both are ok!!! Can't wait to see pics

Tags
may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search