Log In Sign Up

Rogan's Birth Story.....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,490
Hmmm...where to start...where to start....

Friday I had contractions all day long but they were only 15 minutes apart. We thought for sure it was a sign things were coming. That night I couldn't sleep much...but I did sleep...then I woke up early on Saturday with contractions that were 7-10 minutes apart. This is how Olive's labor started out so I was SURE it was going to be Saturday. So sure in fact that I had Josh stay home from work and I lined up our babysitter for the kids. I labored all day long...still 7-10 minutes apart. They were getting stronger but still no closer....By evening I was sure it WASN'T going to happen...so we had the kids come home for the night...no sense in having htem spend the night away from home with no reason. Besides...if I had him overnight they'd be sleeping. So no worries. I went to sleep that evening....slept for two hours...got up and contracted a while....and then laid back down and slept for two more hours. I woke up EXTREMELY frustrated.

I was so frustrated. I only wanted to get on with it. The contractions weren't more than I could deal with by any means but they were getting annoying. I just wanted it to either start up...or stop completely....the constant contractions were getting O-L-D!!!!!

So at about....oh 8am...I started texting my midwife asking for ideas on things that would speed things up. First she said Sex...I said "tried that...didn't work" LOL (that was on Saturday we tried that).....she said walking....MY GOSH did I try walking and my GOSH did it just make me contract better on the walk....I would have just kept walking and walking but...um...yeah...only made the hemorrhoids worse and so it was painful to walk, sit, stand, lay down, go to the bathroom.....um yeah...I'd really rather have been pregnant for another week than deal with those suckers!

So walking wasn't a suggestion I could keep doing....what else....she texted back Castor Oil....OR she could come out..check me and strip my membranes. I wasn't really comfortable stripping membranes....but didn't want to do castor oil either.

After lots of talking and thinking and calling a friend about it (that has been there done that)....I decided to give the Castor Oil a go. I took that at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30....And originally about 3 hours later it did only what it was created for! LOL....but that wasn't so bad cause I didn't mind having my insides clean for the big event! LOL....I just kept thinking it'd happen ANY time now any time now any time now.....

At around 1:00 pm the kids left to go to the next friends house. They were willing to watch the kids all day and if needed overnight...which made me nervous Olive has never been away from home that long...that much..and definitely not overnight.....*sigh*....I tried to push that out of my mind and at around 1:30...my contractions started pickign up again. They were 7 minutes apart and then 5-7 minutes apart....for about an hour...then we called the midwives....they decided to come on out. THey came out and watched me labor for a bit....I was contracting regularly and I did have to breath thru them but they weren't awful ones. They asked me to go on a walk to see if that picked things up....I did...they were more frequent but not really too hard...>I had to stop walking thru them but when we got back home it still hadn't made much difference.

So then my midwife asked if she could check me. I agreed wanting to know how far along I was. I was anxious for the answer. Being a week overdue and having had contractions for all of Friday, Saturday, and so far half the day on Sunday. I was VERY disappointed to find out I was still thick and only at 3. *sigh*.....so the midwives left with instructions to call them as soon as they were closer together and I could no longer walk or talk thru them.

I kept contracting all that evening and decided that the kids should stay where they were....I was SURE he'd be born in the early hours of the morning. (ha ha ha ha).....things kept up and then that night I decided I should try to lay down and get some sleep...that was at around midnight....my friend Jen was there at this time she slept on the kid's bed and my mom had gone home to get some good sleep and to let her dogs out...my dad had been bummed all weekend cause he couldn't get out of working and he's never missed a birth. He was working. I laid down and slept until 4am when the contractions were waking me up again.

I came to the living room and sat down and just doodled around on the computer...using contractionmaster.com to time contractions and just seeing if they were regular. THey were now 4-5 minutes apart and I was having to hum thru them....So I did this for a while...called my mom at I think around 7am to let her know what was going on...she said she's be over as soon as she could...I let my friend sleep for a while since we'd had a late night....and I let Josh sleep until 7:30....We kept timing them all morning....and finally Josh wanted to get the midwives there....once they were consistently at 4-6 minutes apart and I was not walking and talking thru them he was in panic mode. LOL...Josh was cleaning our house and NOT sitting still the whole time I was in labor....he didn't do much hanging around me (which was fine) but he was totally not relaxed. LOL....So anyway...they got here and watched me labor for a bit....however the minute they walked in the contractions went from 4-5 minutes apart to 7-10 minutes apart....I was SO FRUSTRATED!!!! THey decided to go on a walk...while they were gone they picked back up....they came back...they slowed back down....


So anyway...my midwife finally said "let's see how much progress you've made to know where we stand if that is ok with you"....I agreed....we checked and I was at 7 almost 8 and thin. THANK THE LORD I had made a ton of progress! LOL....I was so relieved she didn't say 4 almost 5 or something! LOL....Ok so in past labors when I've been that far along....I usually am finished and have baby in my arms in a couple hours. I think it was like 10 am at this point. I was thinking "by noon we'll have a baby" in my head. I labored and they kept stalling....4 minutes, 4 minutes, 8 minutes, 5 minutes, 7 minutes, 2 minutes, 7 minutes....etc....those were how contractions were ALL.STINKIN.DAY.LONG! They weren't consistent at all. I decided after being checked to finally get in the pool. It was nice....but...you guessed it...labor stalled.

The midwives decided that some nipple stimulation via breastpump or rolling them would help. So all those present left...I was in the pool and I used the pump on one side and Josh rolled the other side LOL...NOT quite what I pictured labor going like! LOL....so they were back to 4-5 minutes apart. We decided that we thought it was all the "eyes" and all the talking not helping things progress....the midwives came and checked in and asked how things were going...we said they were going....they decided to give us some more privacy and just labor things out for a while....they then all quietly came back in and things kept going for a bit.....Things were intense at this point...

The midwives decided to go get lunch....I ate some apples and labored while they were gone. Still SLOW going and still intense...I was beginning to get really frustrated but just kept calm and kept thinking it was bound to be soon.

I'm not really sure on time lines on this story cause I wasn't really watching the clock...to my benefit I think...if I'd have known times I'd probably have been more upset.

When they got back from lunch they wanted me to get out of the pool and labor for a while. She asked if it'd help to know where I was...I said no. I said that I thought I'd know when it was time to push and it'd really not help at this point. She agreed and was reassuring that it was fine she only wanted to make sure that I didn't want that...some people find it helpful others dont. The midwives kept laughing that in between contractions I was totally normal and totally conversational still. Laughing and joking and bossing still even in labor! LOL....

I finally got back in the water after some time. The contractions slowed AGAIN....any time the midwives were near me they slowed, really. LOL....

I started having pressure and wanted to push at some points in the contractions but at this point it was painful both to push and to not push....I've never had transition take so long to get there or LAST SO LONG....seriously this part of my labor was the hardest of any of them.

I was in the water...contractions still irregular...2, 2, 4, 7, 10, 2, 4, 1, 6...etc....TOTALLY not typical....I'm sure it was God's way of making sure I kept my sanity! Anyway....I started pushing thru the contractions....at first I was in a hands and knees type position...then leaned up against the side of the pool....and then squatting....and then hands and knees again....this baby wasn't moving down very fast at all. Then after one more contraction the midwife asked I try on my side....that did seem to help though I would have rather have been in a different position. After over an hour of pushing...which again is NOT my normal....I usually push thru two contractions at MOST and boom....baby is here!!!....but after an hour he was SO close...I could have felt his head if I wanted to but at this point it was so intense and I was in such a place I couldn't concentrate on anything.....the bag of water was STILL intact and he was not coming down very fast. I was asked by my midwife if I wanted her to rupture the bag to see if it would help....I said I didn't care....she ruptured the water...which did help him come on out. I pushed harder than I thought possible and finally finally finally his head was being born. Then I had to do the same thing again for his chest....LOL...usually my babies slither on out once their big noggins are out but not this time...he has a big chest too and so I had to push hard again to get the rest of him out.

I finally finally at 3:00 pm on Monday had my sweet baby boy.....He had dark hair, lots of it....and he has SUCH a squishy face lol....so chubby....he ended up weighing 8lb 4oz, 21 inches long...and a 14.5 inch head! STINKIN BIG NOGGIN! LOL......

Anyway...that is the story of his birth....I'm sure I'll read over this later and find some things I need to alter. I have tons of pics that I need to look thru and edit and I'll share them when I get a chance to.....but anwyay....that's it
Momma to Emma, Elzie, Gretchen, Olive, and Rogan

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
Reply With Quote
June 1st, 2011, 04:05 PM
Beth04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,056
Wow, what a great story! Congrats!

thank you gypsystar for my wonderful siggy!
Reply With Quote
June 1st, 2011, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,587
great story!! Congrats on your big boy!!
DS: 4
DD3: 9/19/14-10/19/14DS: 17months!

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
Reply With Quote
June 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,337
That is a long time to be in labor!!! I'm so incredibly happy that you got your home birth though!

BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
June 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
mrsgranchango's Avatar Resident Thread Killer
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: down the road a'piece
Posts: 3,183
WOW! You had a crazy long labor too! So glad you still got the home birth though!

Reply With Quote
June 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,354
Wow that's quite a birth! Good for you for sticking with it! Transition with Julianna for me was one pretty much constant intense contraction...it was AWFUL! I wish I'd had breaks like I did with Lexy. Congrats again!

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
Reply With Quote
June 2nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,756
I loved reading your birth story, Martha! Sounds a lot like my labor with Maddie. I can't wait to see you guys again!

Reply With Quote
June 3rd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 9,118
Wow, that kid made you wait it out didnt he?! Goodness what a stubborn little booger! Congrats and way to go on the home birth momma!

Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulare, CA
Posts: 13,686
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Congrats on your homebirth! Amazing story

Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Mommy to girls
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,014
So glad you got your home birth Martha!! Great story!!
Kim- Mommy to 5 girls
Reply With Quote

may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0