Sawyer's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been very excited about Sawyer's birth for a long time. I knew I wanted to use a birth center/midwife and Hypnobabies before I was even pregnant. I have been going to my birth center since my second trimester and practicing hypnobabies since week 34. At first I was bad about doing it but by the end of my pregnancy I was going hypnosis MP3s twice a day.

Tuesday, May 31st was my first official day of leave. It was the day I was 37 weeks pregnant. It was a day I slept pretty much all day. Around 5 pm I started notice I was dripping. I thought it might be amniotic fluid or urine or discharge so I continued on with my evening. Then it became more and I started to think it really was amniotic fluid. I called my DH at the fire station and told him and then called the midwife. She told me to montior it for a few hours. About 30 minutes later, I was standing in the kitchen when water started gushing out of me. I was so excited. I called the midwife, she said wait a while for contractions, I call DH and told him to come home. I ran around doing manic nesting until DH got home. 2 hours later I still had no contractions and the midwife wanted me to come in so she could listen to the baby.

We got to the center around midnight. The midwife did an exam and said my water was broken, that I was 1 cm dilated, 50% effaced and she put me on the breast pump to get my contractions going. That didn't do much so she left the building for a few hours so we could have sex. lol, DH really pulled through since I don't think sex was on either or our minds at the time. She check me again at about 4 am and I was another cm dilated, more effaced but still no contractions. She put me back on the breast pump and then at 6 am she stripped my membranes and had me drink castor oil. I did not think it was so bad, we mixed it with the only thing we could find, Capri Sun.

After that we started walking walking walking. I still had no contractions and the head midwife came in to take over. She wanted me to walk for an hour, do the breast pump for an hour, back and forth until something started happening. She also told me that she felt like I was having contractions and she didn't understand why I did not feel them. (Um, maybe because I have been doing hypnosis for two months that told me that my pressure waves were calming and soothing, lol) So at about noon I started to feel some tightening. I was so happy but I knew I was on a time crunch at the center. You can only be there for 24 hours before they have to transfer you to a hospital.

When I started to feel contractions I was 5cm. I got in the tub and did my hypnosis thing and within an hour or two I was complete. I did not feel like pushing though. The midwife let me just rest but after a while she wanted to me try pushing through a contraction to see how it felt. So, I started pushing and it did not feel very productive. I pushed standing, squatting, in the tub, on the bed, on my side.... Nothing was really happening. The midwife said the baby was sunny side up and he needed to turn, she made me not push through a half hour worth on contractions and had me positioned my body so he would turn. It was absolute tourcher. I have never felt such pain in my life.

Eventually, after 3 hours of pushing, the midwife said I needed to go to the hospital. The baby was fine. I was fine. She wanted me to get some help though. She wanted to me to go a certain hospital because she knew they would not do an automatic c section and I agreed. So, we got in my dad's car and he drove us to the hospital (40 minutes away). I was pushing in the back the whole ride.

We got to the hospital and they took me to the labor and delivery floor. They were slammed. They we delivering babies in the ER because they did not have room in labor and delivery. They did find me a room though after about 15-20 minutes. My cousin works there and my dad had called her on our way. She was at home but she flew to the hospital and made sure they took care of me. Thank god!

The nurses started talking pitocin and epidural right away. DH was livid. He told them no, they told him the doctor would not do anything for me without the drugs. Then he fought with the doctor over the phone. The whole time I am having almost constant contractions. Finally someone came in an explained to us that were were either going to have a forcep delivery or a c section and I HAD to have the epidural. After 4 hours of pushing I was defeated and I just said do whatever you can to get him out. They gave me all the drugs and the doctor got there at about 10:15 pm. He was a total jerk but he is a doctor who is known for doing everything he can to prevent a c section so I am thankful for what he did. He had me "push" a few times, I could not feel a thing. He pulled Sawyer out with forceps at 10:40 pm. They took him away and did not let me see him but I could hear him crying. Dh went to the corner where they were cleaning him. He peed on the nurse right away. The doctor delivery the placenta and started stitching me up. It's really bad. Right now the episiotomy, tear, hemorrhoids have me upset. I have not yet been able to sit down, I am having trouble walking. I feel like it's never going to get better and I keep crying about it. I didn't know it would feel like this afterwards.

They finally let me hold him and it was wonderful. He was 7 pounds 2 oz and 20 inches long. He has just a tiny bit of peach fuzz hair. He has some pretty big cuts and bruises from the forceps but they are starting to fade. They took him to the nursery because it's the stupid hospital's policy. Dh went along. I waiting in the room for the next 5 hours. I could not stop shaking and throwing up. I don't know if that was from the meds or not. They tried to move me in the wheel chair to a recovery room but I passed out in the wheel chair twice. Finally at 4 am I got to my room! YAY! They brought Sawyer a few minutes later. DH had to leave because they do not allow you husband to stay with out if you are not in a private room. Because the hospital was so busy there were not private rooms left. I just put Sawyer in bed with me and waited for morning when DH was allowed back.

Sawyer is really sweet. He had some trouble nursing but he's getting there. He's sleeps all the time. Also, last night I I woke him up to nurse 4 times but he never woke up on his own. He hated having his clothes or diaper changed and he really wants his dad to hold him when he is not nursing. I am completely in love!

His first photos. There were all taken in the morning about 9 hours after he was born.

Last edited by Laurenj915; June 5th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
June 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cant wait to read the rest!! And see pics

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

June 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey, where's the rest ?

June 4th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't keep us waiting too long!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

June 5th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you got at least part of your experience! He's a cutie!
June 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh hun, I wish we could talk in person. My first experience was extremely similar, from the joyful, birth-center beginning to the difficult 4+ hours of pushing to the nightmare in the hospital (though mine did result in a CS). You are now not only recovering physically, but very much emotionally. Give yourself LOTS of time to mourn and heal. I honestly think it took me a year to mourn my first birth experience. The hemmoroids are awful and may last several months, but hang in there, there WILL be a day when you feel not only normal, but BETTER than normal because you know what you are capable of.

Your baby boy is beautiful! What a blessing.

June 7th, 2011, 06:46 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw I am so sorry that your birth story didn't end the way you wanted it to. It really ticks me off how the hospital pushed the meds on you, took the baby and wouldn't let your husband stay. I am just glad that you have a healthy baby boy to show for it. My delivery with DD was everything I didn't want too and it was a bitter pill to swallow.

((HUGS))

June 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showbiz View Post
Oh hun, I wish we could talk in person. My first experience was extremely similar, from the joyful, birth-center beginning to the difficult 4+ hours of pushing to the nightmare in the hospital (though mine did result in a CS). You are now not only recovering physically, but very much emotionally. Give yourself LOTS of time to mourn and heal. I honestly think it took me a year to mourn my first birth experience. The hemmoroids are awful and may last several months, but hang in there, there WILL be a day when you feel not only normal, but BETTER than normal because you know what you are capable of.
Thank you Jennifer. It's weird, I can tell people about it with no problem but I can't be alone thinking about it. That's when it gets to me. I am trying to just work on taking care of this silly little baby boy and I will have to deal with my feeling on the birth a little later. I never knew that he would occupy like 80% of my thought process after he was born. I can't find where I put anything! I can't remember to do stuff I am supposed to do. This is worse than pregnant brain, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRN View Post
Aw I am so sorry that your birth story didn't end the way you wanted it to. It really ticks me off how the hospital pushed the meds on you, took the baby and wouldn't let your husband stay. I am just glad that you have a healthy baby boy to show for it. My delivery with DD was everything I didn't want too and it was a bitter pill to swallow.

((HUGS))
I think that this hospital's policies are awful. I maybe should have done a little research on different hospitals in case I was transfered. I just did not expect it at all. Hope your second birth was wonderful!

June 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Julie
He is such a little cutie!
June 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM
LuvMyFurbabies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvMyFurbabies
Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry that you didn't get the natural birth experience you were hoping for but at least you and Sawyer are healthy and ok.

*Mommy to Brendan with Two Angels Above*
~Momma to 8 Furbabies (4 cats & 4 dogs)~

June 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww I'm sorry about your hospital experience but Sawyer is just beautiful and thats all in the past now. You did good!

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

June 11th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Petuniababoon's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm so sorry things went awry with your labor and ended up so terrible, but I'm happy for you that Sawyer is such a healthy, sweet little guy!

Sara

June 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Formerly LyndaSLP
Wow, sorry your birth didn't turn out as planned. Glad to hear that your little man is here and healthy. He is beautiful!

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
June 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry to read about the experience taking a turn for the ugly. I think it's awesome that hypnobabies did work for you while it was allowed to... I'm glad DH stuck up for you and argued with the doctor over the stupid policies. It is great you didn't have to get a c/s but the recovery sounds just as hard. I'm wishing you comfort and ease!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search