My birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I thought we had a place for these but I guess not so here goes

I'm still in a little shock. Everything happened so fast and I was so sure I was going to make it to at least 34wks that I wasn't prepared.

Thursday I had to go talk to someone about my 25wkr so I went out. I came home, nothing unusual, went to bed early because I had to get up early. Friday morning I woke up with a headache but got up and went to an ophthalmology appointment. The doctor saw a couple tiny hemorrhages in one eye but said everything looks good and he wouldn't need to see me for 6 months. When I got home my head was really hurting so I checked my bp (135/83) took some Tylenol and went to sleep for awhile. I had an nst at 2pm so I talked my husband into driving me down since it's almost an hour away and my head still hurt.

It took an hour to get in for the nst so I ended up being one of the last patients of the day. At the nst, they checked the baby's position first and said she was transverse. I panicked for a moment and asked the tech where her feet were. They were on my side but higher than her head so I relaxed a bit knowing she would go back to head down if I moved around. They checked my fluid levels and it had dropped to 9.5 (from 16 at 21wks) but the tech said it still looked good. She started the nst then took my blood pressure. 165/104. I figured after I laid down for a bit, it would be better. Finished the nst, retook bp (175/104). They then called my doctor who came in and said he would have to admit me because I still had that headache and anything over 100 bottom number, they admit you.

Downstairs they immediately started an I.V. and gave me I.V. bp meds. They sent blood to the lab and then, to my surprise, put in a catheter so I couldn't get out of bed and started a 24hr urine. At this point, the dip sticks were showing +4 for protein but my labs came back good. It was now 6pm and my doctor wanted to start me on magnesium because my pressures weren't coming down. I remember telling the nurse I wanted to talk to my doctor before they started any other meds and as she was relaying the message to another nurse, the other nurse said "are you serious?" as if me talking to the doctor was such a horrible thing. I knew he would be leaving for the weekend though so it was my last chance to see him before being locked up. They wanted to put me on an insulin drip so I begged him to let me take care of my diabetes and he said I could as long as my blood sugar stayed below 140. So here I am, thinking they will keep me for at least 24 hours but I'll still be pregnant for awhile.

At 7pm my doctor comes back in, asks when I had the steroid shots, then tells me they're going to induce me. Just like that. No waiting to see how things go or waiting for the 24hr urine to finish. Next thing I know, they are checking my cervix which was 1cm 50% effaced, and the resident doctor is cracking jokes about me not being locked up like fort Knox. They did another quick u/s and she must have known because she was head down again. At 8pm they started pitocin. The anesthesiologist came in and talked to me and given my history of bad epidurals, he wanted to do one sooner rather than later. At 9pm, they broke my water, which I didn't know they could do until further dilated, but I guess they can. I didn't really feel any contractions. They put the epidural in after that to make sure there were no problems with it before I started to have real contractions.

At 12am, I was only 1+ 75% effaced. I started to worry then because nothing much was happening and they had already broken my water but by 2am I was 3cm. I then started feeling the contractions. I pushed the button for a bolus through the epidural, but nothing happened. Finally, the anesthesiologist had to come in and give me another dose, saying something about it not being hooked up right. 3am, 5cm 100% effaced and she had dropped to -2 station. By 4am the epi wore off yet again and they had to give me another dose. That's when things got busy. The nurse went to check me and said there was no cervix left. I told her they better be ready because the baby was coming but I don't think she knew I meant right then even after giving my history of having one baby in the hall and another in the bed by myself. They called the perinatologist to come in and were waiting for him when I told them I was feeling tons of pressure and the baby wasn't going to wait. I'm panting through contractions, trying to keep the baby in and the stupid nurse tells me to just keep my legs closed. Finally, they wheel me into the OR and the resident doctor calls the peri and tells him he can turn around because he's not going to make it. Finally, the doctor tells me to give a push, nice and easy. I didn't even push though. I'm concentrating on not pushing her out fast when the nurse says "are you ready? Oh the heads out". I heard her cry and looked up just in time to see her grab the blanket she was on and try to take it to the nicu with her.

So that's the long story of her birth. I had to be kept on magnesium for 24hrs and honestly, I could not stay awake at all. I do have pics from when she was born. She had a little cone head from sitting in the birth canal. We had nothing with us, not even my hospital bag or a camera but at least we had our cell phone with us and got pics. They are saying she was exactly 31 weeks based on ultrasounds I was having (always measuring a few days ahead) and some major mix ups by my original doctor. So I guess I was really due the end of July. I hope you all don't mind if I stick around though.

Natalie Elizabeth Ann H.
5/28/11 5:04am 4lb1oz 16inches

right after birth

being handed off to the NICU doctor

1 hour old, on CPAP

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Mummy to great girls
Oh wow Rebecca, thanks so much for sharing this with us and I am so glad that you and your little girl are doing ok. It sure will make me think twice next time I have an appointment at the hospital.....I might just leave a bag on the car just in case.
I dont know the history of your epidurals but it doesn't sound great - did this one wear off in the end too?
Love the pics.......she is gorgeous!
June 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I can't believe that they decided to induce you without any warning. I'm glad you're both doing okay though!!

She's beautiful.

June 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what an adventure. Thank you for sharing. Glad your babe is doing well.
June 2nd, 2011, 11:55 PM
First Timer!!!
yes do stick round we enjoy your posts and knowing you!!

thank you for sharing your birth story they are all special and i enjoy reading them all
June 3rd, 2011, 03:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing Rebecca! We are so happy that you and Natalie are doing well!!! You are such a brave woman going through everthing that you have had to endure for your children. Please keep us posted on how you and Natalie are doing!!! and YOU BETTER NOT LEAVE US!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
June 3rd, 2011, 05:32 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That was a beautiful story. And such wonderful pics. I know you are cherishing every moment you have with your peanut. Take care of your and your family.

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
June 3rd, 2011, 05:33 AM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow! she is just absolutely perfect! what a whirlwind you were on.... so very glad everything turned out ok!!
June 3rd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
She's beautiful! I'm glad that you and Natalie are both doing well!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
June 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad you both are okay! I can't imagine how quickly that went down! You go in for nst and you come out not pregnant.... She is absolutely beautiful. Congrats mama.
June 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
Wow...definitely a whirlwind birth story! So glad that you and Natalie are doing great! Hugs....
June 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing! Congrats on your beautiful baby girl

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
June 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
JustOneMoreBean's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow. I'm so glad you're both doing ok she is so pretty!

June 3rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That was very sudden! I'm glad you and your daughter are okay and doing well. I'm also glad you were able to have her vaginally, that rocks.

But I can't believe the nurse was put off by your request to talk to your doctor--the nerve! It seems hospitals are so stuck in their routines the tiniest difference gets them all bent out of shape. What can you do, right?
June 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a rush! I'm so glad that you and Natalie are alright after all of that! Thank you for sharing sweetie! Cone headed or not, she is one adorable little girl!
June 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So happy to hear that both you and Natalie made it through so well but sorry it was such an adventure!
BTW, she is beautiful!

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
June 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I still can't believe how big she was, and how well you all did. Congrats!!! End of July is very close to August....you better be sticking around!
June 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
First you better stick around! Okay so totally crazy story. I can't imagine going in for a nst and having a baby. Congrats and I am glad you guys are doing so good.

June 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any more updates and pics????

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
June 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
expecting2011mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Beautiful story and shes beautiful congrats mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search