Log In Sign Up

Sophie's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2011, 09:40 AM
sophiesmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,247
I had my 40 week appointment on Friday May 20th, which was one day past my due date. I left the appointment feeling very discouraged... I was not dilated at all and "still pretty thick" according to the doctor. They scheduled an NST and BPP for the following Tuesday. The doctor told me that if everything was okay, they would let me be pregnant until Friday the 27th before inducing me, if everything was not okay, I would be induced on Tuesday the 24th. I was not a happy camper, as I really wanted to avoid an induction. Driving home from the appointment, I called my husband, mom, and best friend and cried to them on the phone for awhile.

I had somewhat calmed down by the time I got home and took a bath and read a book. Rick came home and we had dinner and caught up on some shows that we had DVR'd throughout the week. He feel asleep around 10:30, but I wanted to finish my book. I was exhausted, but kept on reading. Finally, around midnight, I finished the book. I laid back to go to sleep, but my cat started meowing at the window,so I got up to open it for her. As soon as I started opening the window, I felt a gush of fluid. I ran into the bathroom to check and sure enough, there was lots a fluid with a pinkish tinge. I called out to Rick that my water broke and hopped into the tub so I didnt leak everywhere. I grabbed a towel and got dressed. Rick hopped into the shower while I called my mom and OB. I then proceeded to clean the living room and load the dishwasher. I was beginning to get a lot of back pain during this time. We got into the car and decided to stop at McDonalds to get some food, as I knew it would be awhile before I ate again. We got to the hospital around 1 am.

We got checked in and admitted to Triage. They confirmed that my water did indeed break (and was still breaking...no one told me that was going to happen!) and then checked me. Only a finger tip dilated and 50% effaced. They told me they would be keeping me because my water had broken and I would be moved to labor and delivery shortly. Contractions were coming about every 5 minutes at this point.

Around 2:30 we got up to labor and delivery. The OB resident came in and said she talked to my doctor and they wanted to try a foley catheter to see if it would help me dilate at all. That was put in around 3 am. I slept a little bit until about 4 when my doctor came in. She expressed concern that my contractions were slowing down from what they were in Triage and wanted to start me on Pitocin. This was the only time I cried throughout the entire labor because I didnt want Pitocin. I asked for the epidural before they started the pitocin. The anesthesiologist came in around 430 to put in the epidural. I thought it would hurt going in, but it didnt bother me at all. They started the Pitocin after that went in. I was able to sleep until about 730 when they came in to remove the foley catheter. I was about 3 centimeters dilated at that point. My doctor came in and told me to expect to push around 5 that evening. I called my mom and told her not to hurry down (they live 2 hours away) because it would be awhile. I slept some more until about 11. I woke up and was feeling some pressure. It didnt hurt, just pressure. The doctor came back in and I mentioned it to her and she decided to check me. She was as surprised as I was that I was fully dilated. She told me we would start to push in 20 minutes.

We started pushing right before 1130. DH almost passed out twice! I told him not to look, but he did anyways. The pushing wasnt too bad at all. At one point I asked my doctor if I had passed the ring of fire. She said no, you will know when you get there. I never did feel that...she told me that I must have had some really good anesthesia. I pushed for 33 minutes and Miss Sophie was born. She was 7 lbs 11 oz and 21 1/4 inches long. APGARS were 9/9. She has a little bit of dark brown hair and dark blue eyes. They put her on my chest right after she came out and cleaned her off there before they took her to be weighed. We started to try to nurse immediately. I had two small tears that required stitches, but nothing too bad. All in all, it was a perfect birth experience and much easier than I had imagined!

Thank you Meganpixelfor my awesome siggy!

"you are the best thing that's ever been mine"
Reply With Quote
June 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UT
Posts: 9,118
What a great story!

Reply With Quote

may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0