The home birth of Clara Miriam

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Mommy to girls
On Friday May 27th, I went for a prenatal appointment. I was 41 weeks and 6 days at that point and was beginning to worry that baby girl was holding back for some reason. I asked my midwife to check for dialation in hopes that my weeks of light contractions had made at least a little progress. I was happy to hear that I was 5 cm low and funneled to 3 cm up higher. At least I wasn't going to start labor completely closed. We discussed my concerns about having to deliver at a hospital if labor didn't begin soon. After experiencing two beautiful home births prior, I didn't want to return to a hospital delivery.
On Sunday, around 1:00 pm, my bag of water broke. At first it was a light amount of fluid. I knew I would be needing energy for the hours ahead so I made myself a veggie wrap. I took my time, hoping to feel contractions kicking in. After realizing that nothing major was happening, I decided to go for a neighborhood walk. I didn't lastt long-it was in the 90s outside. The walk did bring forth more gushes of fluid so i knew for sure that my water was completely broken. I decided to take a nap with my husband. After resting a while, we decided to try some nipple stimulation to get things going. WOW! Did that work!!
I decided to give my midwife a call after I had a pattern of rushes coming every three minutes. I knew they didn't feel strong enough that I wanted her to hurry over but I did think I should let her be aware of what was happening. We went for another walk. Everything seemed to slow down rather quickly at this point. We headed back to the house to call the midwife just as she was pulling in the driveway around 5 pm. I felt bad that I hadn't caught her in time.
She decided to stay but to just let us do our own thing since I often slow down when feeling like a "watched pot." We continued a pattern of walking, showering, snacking and resting. My contractions picked back up to around 4 minutes apart. My husband and I laid together, spending what time together we could with babe still on the inside. I wanted to be emotionally connected with him for the birth. Those moments, although short, did a lot to energize my spirits.
We took a final walk just before 8 pm and every neighbor decided to stop and talk with us. I didn't want to reveal that that night was "the" night. After several conversations, we quickly hurried back to the house.
My back was feeling rather tight at this point. The midwife suggested that I get on my hand and knees for a while. This felt amazing and relieved a lot of the pressure in my back. She asked about calling her assistant again so I said yes I was ready for her to come. Shortly after the assistant arrived, my contractions were around 2 minutes apart. I decided it was time to move from the living room to my bedroom. I stood at the end of the bed and would lean down and hug a pillow with each rush. My husband stood behind me, rubbing my back and hips with every contraction. This felt amazingly awesome. I heard my midwife say that standing where I was would be a great position to give birth in. After my contraction was over, I told her I wanted to get on the bed because I wanted to see her being born and I didn't want her passed to me from behind. After a few more intense rushes, I climbed onto the bed in a modified squat.
I could feel her coming down but wasn't quite having an urge to push yet. I didn't want to breather her down but wanted to trust my body's instincts. I was vocalizing at this point and saying "ooohhh" for open. (One of my little mantras)! I finally got the primal urge to push and started pushing her down. After her head delivered, she came out without needing assistance with her shoulders. I pulled her straight to my chest. Her cord was a bit short, so I had a strange few moments trying to get her into a comfortable position. After delivering the placenta, I passed her to my husband to rinse off in the shower.
I came back to bed and the midwife and assistant performed the newborn exam on the bed in front of us. We felt so blessed to have Clara here with us! I got emotional thinking about the last few weeks of worry I had with her and was so glad to have a healthy baby in my arms. Her apgars were 10 and 10!! She weighed 8 lbs 1 oz. and was 19 1/2 inches long. Born at 10:49 pm on May 29th.
My birth was not painless but as close to it as I could have ever imagined. I used the time during this pregnancy to read and reread about birth. I also used something I had read in Spiritual Midwifery. The mother from a birth story said she thought of each contraction as an unusual sensation that helped to get the baby out. I used that to get through each contraction individually. I could not have asked for a more beautiful birth experience.

Some interesting facts

I delivered a
6lb 6oz 40 weeker, a
7lb 9oz 41 weeker, and a
8lb 10z 42 weeker. There were also my 9lb 2oz 41 weeker that I had gest diabetes with and my 9lb 41 weeker that I suspect I had g d with but didn't get tested.

If you made it this far...Bless your heart!!
June 8th, 2011, 08:00 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great story! I'm so happy you were able to have your home birth! Congratulations on your baby girl!!

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
June 8th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing your wonderful story!! I'm so happy you got another home birth!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
June 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Beautiful!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
June 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
So glad You got your homebirth and what a great birthday. Korbin had a short cord too

Tags
may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search