Nicolas and Daniel Arrive (LONG)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Sota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor and I had planned on a vaginal delivery unless one of the twins was breach. I really hoped to be able to avoid a C-section, although I knew I would have to be prepared for one.

I was scheduled for my last ultrasound on Tuesday April 26. My mom flew into town that day and was excited to get to see the boys. The sonographer had a very hard time telling which baby was which and how they were positioned. When the doctor came in he told us he had a lot of faith in what she was saying, but didn't see how they could be positioned that way. So he redid the exam and said from what he could tell Baby A was heads down and Baby B was transverse. However, Baby B was positioned in a way that could interfere with Baby A being able to move down and get born. He asked to check to see where I was and found out I was at a 1. He wanted to talk to my OB so he sent me off to do my NST and called him.

He came back and said the two of them felt it was in my best interest to deliver that Saturday. He understood my concerns (I really wanted to get farther along), but they felt it was the safest for the babies and they both felt a C-section was best. Although I was hesitant, I just decided I needed to be done. I spent the end of my pregnancy absolutely miserable. I had severe reflux, I ached and had a hard time moving, and I developed PUPPS. The PUPPS was so miserable I could not sleep. I had to put socks on my hands to stop myself from scratching myself until I bled. I had carpal tunnel on both hands and was wearing braces day and night. DH had to console me several times when I just brokedown and said I can't do this anymore. I didn't have it in me to fight them to be pregnant longer, when I felt so absolutely terrible and hadn't slept in ages. I felt a little better when I started contracting the day before the C-section. It made me feel like the babies would have been coming soon anyway.

My doctor called me later that week with the schedule for the C-section and talked to me about what would happen and to see if I had any questions. I went in at 8:00 the morning of the C-section and they were scheduled to take the babies out at 10. The hospital tour I had was crappy so I wasn't sure if I needed to go to L&D right away or to Admissions. So I went to admissions and the lady was on the phone, but paused and let me ask what to do. She told me to wait there a moment to check in. After she got off the phone she looked at me and said, "oh I didn't realize you were pregnant" you need to go to L&D. Ok this is what I looked like that morning:

Not sure why she didn't notice! So we went up to L&D and were sent to triage. Luckily nobody else was in there! There are four beds in triage and that is where people go prior to C-sections and up to a certain point in labor. They only allow one visitor per person in at a time, but since no one else was there they let my mom and husband come in the room. They did paperwork and then my doctor came in to talk and to do another ultrasound to see how the babies were positioned. I was so thirsty that morning, I had to fast since midnight, no water. I was used to drinking so much water, I felt all dehydrated. Plus that made my reflux much worse. Halfway through the ultrasound I stopped him and said I am going to vomit. So there was my husband on one side on my doctor on the other holding my hair back as I threw up. They gave me three bags on my IV to try and hydrate me and he added some pepcid to try and help my reflux. The nurse then came in and finished up my prep, made me drink that disgusting stomach acid thing, and they wheeled me into the OR.

My husband was not allowed back while they did the spinal. The anesthesiologist opened up my gown and said wow you really do have PUPPS (most people get it on their stomach, I had it over most of my body including between my toes). The little prick before he started stung, but after that I felt nothing. I was super tired because I hadn't slept in weeks and just generally out of it. There were lots of people in the room because they had two teams for the babies and both my doctor and the back-up doctor on call. I don't remember a lot of what happened. Pretty much as soon as my husband came in the room they got started. The babies came out very quickly and just one minute apart. I kept trying to keep my eyes open. I remember Baby A coming out and looking at him thinking "That is supposed to be my baby". I don't remember Baby B coming out, but they had the warmers so I could see them and I remember looking over and they were both there. My husband went over and was taking pictures and I could see how excited he was. I remember hearing the nurse asking about the cord. He was totally against cutting it, but I heard him do it, so I was confused. Apparently when the nurse asked him to do it, he said no and she said oh yes you are going to (They leave it long so C-sections dads can still get the experience). Anyway we have a nice picture of that. Then my husband left me and went out with the babies so they could get checked out. After this all I remember is trying to keep my eyes open. The anesthesiologist kept trying to talk to me and joke around, but I just couldn't stay focused. Apparently I lost quite a bit of blood and they were trying to stop the bleeding so I was in there a long time.

Finally I was wheeled back to triage to recover. They gave me several bags of pitocin to try and help with the bleeding. The nurse told me something about coughing, but I didn't really understand her. I was still SOOO thirsty and they would only let me have ice chips. I think I had 4 cups full and on my third one I left it a bit so the ice melted and I could have water! Eventually my husband and mom came in with the babies. We hadn't decided on names. While in the OR I decided Baby A should be Nicolas, but I don't know when we decided on Daniel for Baby B. For awhile my mom said they were Nicolas and his brother. Daniel was a name my husband liked, but I was lukewarm about. I think he would have been William had the royal wedding not have been the Friday before the babies came.

Finally I passed whatever test I had to in order to get to my room. The allowed the babies to come up with us and I was very happy because I really wanted to breastfeed and it had been more than two hours and I knew that was the prime window to try and get them to do it. But, when the nurse saw their breathing she got worried and called the NICU, so our attempt at breastfeeding was cut short because they were whisked away and didn't get to come back. Although I didn't pass gas, I finally convinced the nurse to give me water and let me eat! I knew I would be fine and I needed food in order to pass gas, but I still didn't for a very long time. I was not to leave the bed until the next day, which made me sad, because I could not go see my babies. They had the booties on me that pressed air on my legs to avoid blood clots, but with my darn rash it was sooo uncomfortable and I couldn't get in there to scratch. As soon as I could I had them disconnect my catheter and take those leg things off so I could try and get up. But, I couldn't pee all darn day, so she ended up having to recatheter me later But, she took it right out and told me I could go to the NICU, but I would have to get recathetered for the night if I couldn't pee three times in the tray (I finally passed that test). I made it to the NICU that day walking on my own, in pain, but doing it, but I had to take the wheel chair back (my room was on the 4th floor and NICU was on 3).

My stay in the hospital was not fun. I ended up stopping the narcotic the second day there, because it was making me loopy and not helping much. I was in a lot of pain and had a hard time getting up and down, but I needed to spend a lot of time in the NICU so I was determined to get there as much as possible. I had packed a bunch of stuff and I hardly used any of it. I just stayed in the hospital gowns and didn't bother with looking very presentable. Leaving the hospital was super difficult because I had to leave my babies behind. On my last day there I ended up in the hall crying, getting consoled by the woman who hands out meals. Luckily they didn't have to stay long and we were able to go everyday to visit with them. The NICU had crappy communication, so we never knew what was going on or who to ask. In fact we found out the babies were coming home from the hospital photographer.

Overall my journey to become a mother has not been what I expected. Getting pregnant was hard, so I thought I would enjoy being pregnant. But, I didn't enjoy it, in fact it was one of the most physically demanding and difficult things I have done. Giving birth was also not the experience I had envisioned and I felt terribly disconnected from the process. But, at the end of it all I can look over at my two boys and know it was all worth it for them.

June 14th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Mommy to girls
Congrats on your baby boys!! I can't imagine having 2 newborns at one time! Did your pupps go away soon after you delivered?
June 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Sota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It started to go away and then it came back. My doctor says it can't be PUPPS, because you only get that when pregnant. He thinks I got a new rash. I just want to stop itching!
June 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Wow woman what an ordeal! Holy cow, then to get another rash! Goodness. You poor thing! I wonder if taking a bath with oatmeal in it (or Aveeno makes a oatmeal bath thing you add to the water) would help? Maybe milk in the water? Heck, maybe even breastmilk in the water! It has amazing healing properties so maybe it could work for ya.

Anywho, congrats on your beautiful boys!

Tags
may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search