Norah's Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry this is really long!

Side info: I was induced Wednesday morning June the 8th at 40w4d due to low amniotic fluid.

Norah’s Birth Day

We woke up at 4:15am the day of my induction. After getting dressed and getting ready we left the house around 5:00. We got to the hospital and were allowed back to my labor room. We were in the room by 5:20. I got in a gown and she asked several questions while they got my IV in so we could get things started. Initially my IV was just fluids and at 6:10 they started my pitocin. They started me out on the lowest dose of pitocin and increased it every 15-30 minutes. The monitor was showing a few contractions here and there but I didn’t feel my first contraction (at this point I hadn’t felt a contraction ever before) until a little after 7. We hung out in the room watching various news programs just waiting for my body to do what it needed to do. Around 9:15 Dr. Alvarez came and checked me, I was around 2cm and he tried to break my water but he was unable to. He was able to strip my membranes though and that caused my contractions to start to intensify and become more consistent. By 11:30 they were intense enough that I asked a nurse when she thought I’d be able to get an epidural - she said my doctor had said I could have one whenever my contractions were regular but I should wait to talk to Dr. Alvarez.

Dr. Alvarez came and was able to break my water at 12:30. I was a “tight” 3cm and he suggested I wait on the epidural - so I did. By 1:30 I was in enough pain that I started asking about what other type of pain medicine I could have. I knew I didn’t want anything that was going to make me a zombie for the rest of labor, but wasn’t sure how much long I could go without anything. The nurse checked me and I was still a tight 3cm so still not where my doctor wanted me to be before an epidural. She told me Nubain would make me sleepy but not make me feel like I was stoned (I asked her if that’s what it would make me feel like haha). I decided to take it because she said it would only work for about an hour and that’s about how long it would be until my doctor checked me again. It took about 40 minutes before I could get a nurse to give it to me, I think they had forgotten. Finally they gave it to me as well as a bag of anti-nausea medicine - within a few minutes I was a bit sleepy and able to dose between contractions.

A few minutes after 3 Dr. Alvarez came in and asked how I was doing... the medicine was still wearing off and I said, “Well I’ve been better” and he said, “oh you are feeling better?” to which I repeated myself and rolled over and he had an odd look on his face so louder I said, “I said, I have felt better before in my life”. haha I was irritated at the moment lol

He checked me and now I was just under 4cm and could have the epidural. I think the Nubain relaxed me enough to progress more. Not long after the anesthesiologist came in and we got started with the epidural - I was nervous about the initial numbing shots but was mostly uncomfortable due to the way I had to sit during the process. DH had to sit across the room due to hospital policy. The numbing shots weren’t as bad as I imagined. He explained everything he was doing before he did it. He did a great job and got it done the first try. It felt weird when he put the catheter in my back. He said I would have a funny bone feeling down each of my legs, and that’s exactly what it felt like.

About 2 minutes later I thought I was in Heaven By 4:00 the epidural was in and I was able to relax. I was checked a few minutes after the epidural was in and I was already almost at 5cm. They tried to hook up an internal monitor but after 3 attempts it still wasn’t reading Norah’s heartbeat very well so they gave up and I just kept the external monitor on. By 6:30 I was at an 8 and progressing nicely. By 7:05 I was at 9 3/4cm and fully effaced. He said I could technically push but he didn’t want me to even if I felt pressure because I could tear my cervix and that wouldn’t be good. By 7:28 though I was allowed to start pushing. My doctor was actually suppose to be off call at 6:30 but was waiting around to see if he could be there when she was born. After a few pushes though he thought I might still be awhile so he decided to go home and let the new on call doctor take over. With each contraction I pushed 3 times for 10 seconds. I was feeling so good that between each contraction Matt, the nurse and I were talking pretty calmly about various things. It was funny because we would be talking about something and I’d get a contraction and after my 3 pushes and the contraction was over we’d finish the thought.

A few minutes after 8 she called the doctor (Dr. Martino) in because Norah was crowning. They pulled down the mirror so we could see at this point. During my last pushing contraction they said to just push for as long as I could and we’d get the baby out. So I pushed twice and got her head out and gave one last continued push and she slid out at 8:12pm weighing 7lbs 8oz and 20 inches long.

DH cut the cord, they suctioned her out and they handed her to me. They took her to be cleaned up, I delivered the placenta and Dr. Martino looked to see if I needed any stitches. I had no external tears but did have one small one internally that she figured she should just go ahead and stitch up to help it heal without too many issues.

After Norah was cleaned up I got to hold her again and feed her for the first time. After I was finished getting stitched my mom came back and met Norah and shortly after DH's parents came as well. We were being wheeled to Mother/Baby by 8:55.

June 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMama View Post
You will never forget this moment Congrats!!!

June 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The look on your face is just priceless What a great story!

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

June 12th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Petuniababoon's Avatar Super Mommy
What a wonderful birth story! So happy for you!

Sara

June 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww congrats! Great birth story
June 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is a great induction story! I felt like I was in heaven after I got my epi, too! I could be my candid self again and that's how it sounds like it was for you! I love the picture!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search