My Long Overdue Update, Ja'Kaiyla's Birth Story & NICU Stay! SUPER LONG!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Jasmine.'s Avatar Mommy to Kay & Kennedy!
I have been a bad member and ladies I am soooooo sorry! (One pitchfork at a time please ) I missed you guys! I did come on and lurk around for a bit. First, I want to thank Katie for updating you guys about Ja'Kaiyla's birth. Although I didn't get back to every PM Katie sent to me, she did check in on me and I thank you soooo much Katie! Also, thanks to Amanda as well! I saw your post over in Preemie/NICU. That was so sweet of you. You guys are awesome! Ja'Kaiyla is home now and it's been great having her home finally. My recovery went well and now I'm just a full-time SAHM until I find a job and go back to school. I'm pretty sure you guys don't wanna hear anymore of my babbling so here's Kay-Kay's birth story.

April 26, 2011
It was about 2am-2:30am when I started to feel cramp like pain. Kenneth and I just DTD so I figured it came from that. I told him “I think I'm having contractions.” Mind you, this is my first pregnancy and I had yet to get any BH's so I had no idea what I was really feeling. I decided to not get panicky since they were like 10-15mins apart. Kenneth and I just relaxed, I drank some water, watched some TV, and we talked a little. Around 3am-3:30am, because we're the biggest horn dogs lol) we DTD again. Strangely, I was still cramping and I decided then to get in the shower. Kenneth was hungry so he told me he would meet me upstairs after he got done eating. For some reason, I headed to the kitchen behind him and I got a more painful cramp this time that caused me to hold on to the washer for a little balance. Kenneth asked me was I ok and I told him the cramps are starting to get a little painful. He asked me if I wanted to go to the emergency room but I declined. I said I was just going to shower instead so I went upstairs but ended up in the bed balled up. Now I was pretty sure I was having contractions...they were coming like 2-3 minutes apart. Kenneth came upstairs, saw me in pain, and told me he was taking me to the hospital. I wanted to get in the shower since we just recently DTD but Kenneth really wanted me to get to the hospital. So I just took a quick bird bath, changed clothes and we headed out. By now it was about 4:45am and it seemed the contractions were getting worse in the car. Kenneth was now running red lights and I remember telling him not to but he was getting scared since I was practically moaning loudly through each contraction. Got to the hospital, got to L&D and told them I was contracting. They asked me to sign papers and I could barely write my info down so they immediately got me in a room to check me. I was 3cm, bulging bag, and 90% effaced! I was contracting every 1-2 mins! They admitted me and got me to a labor room. Magnesium sulfate was started at 5:10am and they gave me a shot of Nubian for pain, and a steroid shot. The plan was to keep me on Mag for 48 hours.

April 27, 2011
11am I was checked again, no change, and contracting about every 45mins- 1hr. About 12:30pm Kenneth decided to go home to get some rest since he had to work that evening. Around 1pm a doctor on call came in to check my progress. After he saw I was still contracting he told the nurses to stop the Mag! Now I was really scared...I didn't understand why. I thought I was suppose to stay on Mag for 48 hours? Mag was stopped and the Doctor told me I was going to deliver TODAY and if not today tomorrow! So I was given a second steroid shot and to make things worse I was all alone. I tried calling Kenneth but he was not answering. Now I was afraid I would give birth with no support from anyone. My mom did visit me earlier in the day but she told me she wouldn’t be able to make it back up to the hospital. Finally, I had some luck. My sister called me and I told her that Kenneth wasn’t answering his phone. I figured he was asleep. My sister decided to call him and luckily he answered and rushed back to the hospital. By now, I’m in so much pain and practically begging for meds. I had already signed for an epi but since they didn’t WANT me to really deliver that held back on the meds. I was told that they didn’t want to give me anything until I dilated pass 3cm. I then asked to be checked but they declined. They didn’t want to keep checking me for fear of breaking my water. After constant begging they gave in and checked me. I was now 5cm and was able to get my epi! When I say that trying to stay completely still during contractions was by far the most difficult part. It seemed impossible but I leaned on my Nurse and squeezed the poor lady shoulders with all my might! It must’ve taken like 30mins for me to receive my epi and I couldn’t even lay back and enjoy it. I was checked after I received the epidural and I was 7cm. The doctor decided to get me to do a couple of practice pushes. I did maybe 4 and she checked me again. I was now a 10 and ready to go! It all happened soooo fast. I begin pushing and remembered hearing the doctors telling me what a great job I was doing. I figured that much because I was farting up a storm!!! Next thing you know I felt her head coming out. It didn’t hurt but I did feel pressure. Surprisingly, it only took 4 pushes and there she was! On Wednesday, April 27th at 9:05pm, Miss Ja’Kaiyla made her debut. I didn’t have the chance to hold her, see her, or hear her cry. She was whisked away so fast. I delivered the placenta, was congratulated, and then the room got quiet. It didn’t seem real and it didn’t set in that I just gave birth. My cousin and Kenneth’s oldest sister showed up at about 10pm. They wasn’t allowed to see her since visiting hours was over but they did stay for a little and talked to us. Soon, Kenneth had to leave as well since I was being moved to the Postpartum Ward and visiting hours was over for that section. I was sitting in my labor room, waiting to be transported to Postpartum when a nurse from the NICU came over. She gave me two pictures of Kay-Kay and that was the first time I seen what she looked like. The nurse’s words kinda faded in and out since I was too busy admiring my little girl’s pics. I did however catch her weight (2lbs & 10.5 oz) and height (16.5inches). Soon the nurse was gone, I was moved, and my boring recovery began. I was discharged on the 29th and it was the worst part. I felt empty. I carried her for 7months and she was no longer safe within me. Nor was she safely in my arms. She was...away....and it never truly felt right. I didn’t know how I would handle it until Kenneth and I stepped on the elevator. He came over to me and gave me a hug. While holding me he said “thank you.” I said “for what?” Then he said “for my princess.” From that moment on I knew we were going to be alright.

Sorry I don’t have lots of pics but I just wanted to get on and give you guys an update! Here she is!

We were "fortunate". Her NICU stay was brief and uncomplicated. Here's a summary of her stay:

NICU Stay
April 29th [NICU Day 2]- Mommy is discharged. Ja'Kaiyla's weight: 2lbs. 8.3 oz
April 30th [NICU Day 3] - Mommy's first time holding Kaiyla Bug. Jaundice lights are turned off. Received a blankie!
May 5th [NICU Day 8] - Mommy gives Kaiyla first kiss! <3
May 6th [NICU Day 9] - Jaundice lights turned back on. Back to birth weight: 2lbs. 10.5 oz
May 7th [NICU Day 10] - Jaundice lights still on. Mommy's first diaper change! Weight: 2lbs. 12oz
May 8th [NICU Day 11] - Nasal cannula is out. Kangaroo Care!
May 9th [NICU Day 12] - Feeding tube placed in nose. Kaiyla smiled for Mommy & Daddy!
May 10th [NICU Day 13] - Kaiyla's Weight: 2lbs. 13.6oz
May 11th [NICU Day 14] - Kaiyla's Weight: 2lbs. 14.4oz. Mommy gave Kaiyla a bath! Mommy received another blankie!
May 12th[NICU Day 15] - Kangaroo Care again!
May 13th [NICU Day 16] - Kaiyla's weight: 3lbs.!
May 14th [NICU Day 17] - Kaiyla is moved to the Close Observation Nursery!!! Weight: 3lbs. 2oz
May 15th [NICU Day 18] - Kaiyla's weight: 3lbs. 3.5oz
May 20th [NICU Day 23] - Kaiyla's weight: 3lbs. 7oz. First time bottle-feeding!
May 21st [NICU Day 24] - Kaiyla's wearing clothes! Mommy's first time bottle-feeding Kaiyla!
May 22nd [NICU Day 25] - Kaiyla's weight: 3lbs. 11oz. Mommy gave Kaiyla another bath and bottle-fed her.
May 24th [NICU Day 27] - Kaiyla's weight: 3lbs. 12oz
May 25th [NICU Day 28] - Kaiyla's weight: 3lbs. 15oz.
May 28th [NICU Day 31] - Kaiyla's weight: 4lbs. 2oz
May 30th [NICU Day 33] - Kaiyla's weight: 4lbs. 3oz
June 1st [NICU Day 35] - Kaiyla's weight: 4lbs. 4oz. Today was org. date to come home, however prolonged stay in NICU due to dropping heart rate.
June 2nd [NICU Day 36] - Kaiyla's weight: 4lbs. 6.5oz
June 3rd [NICU Day 37] - Kaiyla's Coming Home! Goodbye NICU!

Thanks for reading ladies! Hope everyone's pregnancies are going well! Can't wait until all the babies are here. Congrats to the mommies who have delivered!!! I'll be back on again soon!

June 17th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok I didn't even read this yet but I'm so excited to read it! Congratulations on her birth and being the first July baby!

June 17th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Sahoko's Avatar Super Mommy
Awwwww!!! I'm happy to hear from you guys! She's adorable. Congratulations. :]
June 17th, 2011, 02:57 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats! shes gorgeous. Im so glad she is now home with you!

June 17th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She is so cute!

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

June 17th, 2011, 04:42 AM
casiecole's Avatar Regular
so adorable! its nice that you were able to finally bring her home and she is doing well

June 17th, 2011, 04:50 AM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
She's beautiful Jasmine! So glad to see an update on ya'll.

June 17th, 2011, 04:53 AM
ppeacocks's Avatar Traci
yeah. i tried to update the girls as often as we wrote, so happy to see a pic finally!!!!!

yeah she is home and you can finally adjust to being a sahm!!!
taryn (4)
travis august 4th
http://www.facebook.com/xtmacx
June 17th, 2011, 05:39 AM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
OMG, Jasmine... this could not have made my day more.

Im sorry things were so crazy and scary, but you got so lucky and your little lady is just amazingly gorgeous!

We missed you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!

June 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran

June 17th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
Thank you so much for updating us! We have all been thinking about you and Ja'Kaiyla She's beautiful, and I'm so happy she's home now!

June 17th, 2011, 08:07 AM
cutepiem1's Avatar Veteran
Thank you for sharing..I'm glad she did so well in the NICU and you can enjoy her at home now
June 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Happy Mommy
congrats again mama!!
June 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Thanks for the update! Nobody is coming after you with a pitch fork lady, I can only imagine how busy you've been since Ja'Kaiyla's birth. I'm so happy she's doing well Congrats again hun
June 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats on your beautiful girl! I'm so glad you guys are home and she's healthy and welcome back

June 17th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Yay! I'm so happy she is home and you both are doing well! That last part about Kenneth in the elevator made me tear up! What a proud papa!

June 17th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
So happy to hear from you!! She is such a cutie!! I hope things are going great now that shes home!!!

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13
June 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
Awwwwwwww hunny, I am so glad to hear things are going well! Thanks for sharing your birth story! I can only imagine how scary and uncertian things were, I am happy to hear that she was able to come home! She is beautiful! I look forward to seeing more pics when you get settled! Give her kisses for us!!
June 17th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Jasmine.'s Avatar Mommy to Kay & Kennedy!
Thanks ladies! You guys are awesome and I miss chatting with you guys!

June 23rd, 2011, 03:24 AM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats jasmine..!!!! she is one lucky girl..!!!!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search