Welcoming Miss Violet

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2011, 09:28 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Violet Theodora, May 23rd 2011, 7:53 P.M., 8 lb 12 oz, 22 in

Although I was due on the 15th, my entire pregnancy I guessed that the baby would come on either the 18th or the 24th of the May. I think I would have made it to the 24th had we not decided to go forward with an AROM. I had been in labor for about 23.5 hours at that point.

On Sunday the 22rd around 4-5 p.m. I noticed that my contractions were becoming more than just BHs, and by 7 p.m. I knew I was in early labor. I ended up calling my parents around 11 that night and they came over shortly afterwards. I was able to get a couple hours of sleep that night, but because my midwives told me not to wait to go to the hospital with the 3rd baby I was only able to rest so much in anticipation that things would pick up dramatically. Around 6 a.m. on the 23rd I could tell that the contractions had become more uncomfortable but totally tolerable. My mom and husband begged me to call the midwife and she suggested we go to the hospital to be checked, so off we went. I was pretty pissed because I knew it wasn't time and sure enough the nurse checks me and tells me I'm not dilated at all. It was the end of her shift and I'm pretty sure she was beyond ready to go home because she couldn't figure out how to get the monitors working and I had bloody show earlier that morning and I think she just didn't check me properly. Anyway I was sent home, but had an appointment later that afternoon with the midwives anyway.

Contractions continued to come 7-8 minutes apart and around 1 p.m. I went in for my appointment, got set up in my room, did the NST, and then the u/s which showed my fluid levels getting pretty low, but not dangerous yet (I think they were at a 6). Because of the way the fluid levels were looking she was only willing to let me go 2 more days. Then she checked me and I was 4 cm, so she said I was definitely in labor and would probably have the baby that evening. She stripped my membranes and sent me off. After the appointment I went to my grandma's house and just continued to relax and labor. Contractions never got any closer than 7-8 minutes apart, but around 5:45 they started getting harder to talk through and I started feeling nauseous and a little shakey so I called the midwife. She decided to have us come in again and sure enough by the time I got to the hospital, a little after 6, I was already over 6 cm and the midwife asked me how long my labors had gone with my first two. After we discussed that we decided it was best to break my waters and she told me she guessed that we'd have a baby within the hour.

After my waters were broken I rocked a little bit, but I couldn't go far from the bed bc the telemetry machine or whatever it's called to monitor the baby wasn't a wireless one. Then they took out some birth balls for me to bounce on and finally I ended up in the shower. In the practice there are 3 midwives, one was on call for L&D and another was doing rounds with nursing students down in L&D. Because one was doing rounds with students I had two midwives and two nursing students with me, plus my Dh and mom. Once I got to the shower one of the students held the shower head over me for about 40 minutes until I felt like I needed to push. At that point I was completely in another world which consisted of a haze, fatigue and pain. When I said I was starting to feel pressure the L&D nurse (not the student) asked me to move over to the bed. I asked her if I had to and she nicely told me that a shower wasn't the place to deliver, but at that point I didn't care I really didn't want to move. I made it over to the bed and pushed through four contractions and the baby was born. They even let DH help catch the baby! I had told the nurses and midwives that we didn't know the sex of the baby and I didn't want anybody to announce it until I saw what it was and they were so great about it. Lin (the midwife) held the baby up straight away and I said "Oh, it is a girl!" . Then they put the baby on me and the midwives released the baby nurse who had come in because there was a little meconium when they broke the waters. The cord stopped pulsating within a couple minutes and then they cut the cord and delivered the placenta. Because there were nursing students Lin described everything that was coming out of my body to the girls as it happened and she went over the placenta with them in detail. It was actually really cool to hear and see all of that. I almost wish we had someone recording it so I could go back and really hear all that was said.

I ended up needing a shot of pitocin afterwards, and the after birth contractions were pretty awful but I didn't need more than Motrin to help alleviate the pain. The next day my DH raved about how awesome the midwives were, telling all our friends that it was like going to the spa to give birth. He who was so spectacle of having a "hippy birth" ended up loving it, go figure

Last edited by 3TeamH; June 19th, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
June 19th, 2011, 03:29 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Awesome birth story! I always love reading natural birth stories wtg mama!!

June 19th, 2011, 05:15 PM
gypsystar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome birth story <3!

Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)

Tags
may 11 bumblebee births

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search