The arrival of Emma Lee

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I suppose my story begins on Sunday, 6/12. I had been having some contractions for about 2 weeks before then, and I knew from my appointment on Thursday that I was 3cm and 75% effaced. Well on Sunday, the contractions got to be quite intense, and I timed them at 4-5 minutes apart for a good 2 hours before calling my midwife. She advised me to go into labor and delivery. Would you believe that as soon as we got there and they hooked me up the contractions stopped!? They checked me too, and I was still just 3 cm dialated. While I was there, though, they took several blood pressure reads that were slightly elevated. They decided to do bloodwork and told me that a couple of my labs were "abnormal," so they sent me home to do a 24-hr urine collection and asked me to come back the next day (Monday 6/13) at 3pm.
My husband came home from work early to take me back to the hospital. Neither of us had eaten, so we planned on going to the chinese buffet after my appointment. When we got there they hooked my up to monitor the baby and they took my blood pressure several times, it was normal each time. The nurse told me I'd be going home soon, I just needed to wait for the results from my urine. Next thing I know, my midwife comes in and says, "you're gonna have a baby!" I looked up at her and asked, "why?" LOL She told me that anything more than 300 grams of protein in the urine is "concerning," and mine had 575! Yikes! She checked me again, and I was 4 cm! So another nurse came over and admitted me to the hospital. I called my mom and told her we were going to have the baby!
Do you all remember the discrepency I had with my due date the whole pregnancy? I KNEW baby was due 7/2, but according to an early ultrasound where the sac measured two weeks behind the fetal pole, the due date was 7/16. This became a major problem because the latter due date would have put me at 35 weeks and 3 days, as opposed to 37 weeks and 3 days. The doctor consulting with my midwife was reluctant to induce at such an early stage when I wasn't truly showing signs of pre-eclampsia yet, just signs that it MIGHT develope. So they decided they would monitor me over night and test my blood every 6 hrs. I had contractions all night that were showing on the monitor...I was so excited! That is until the nurse told me that the baby would have to be admitted to the NICU and stay at least a week because of being early, no matter how healthy she was. Then I was mortified...
The next day (Tuesday 6/14) the doctor consulting with my midwife came in and explained that he didn't want to induce because of baby being early, blood pressure reads coming back normal, etc. I was totally bummed. AGAIN a false alarm...how embarassing. But I knew that my midwife really didn't want to send me home being 4cm dialated and 75-80% effaced. I talked to the other doctor about the due date being off, and he decided to send me for an ultrasound to get an accurate date. THANK GOD the baby measured at OVER 37 weeks, without a doubt. Upon this news, my midwife and the doctor came back to tell me that they WOULD be inducing after all! I was checked again and I was 4cm dialated, but "stretching to 5 or 6," and almost completely effaced! My water was broken at 10:55 am. I began to have strong contractions immeadiately.
The nurse suggested I walk the halls, so I got up and got dressed and put on a pad. I couldn't leave my room...the pain was way too intense. I called my nurse and asked to be checked again, and told her I didn't want to miss my window to get an epidural. She said I was a good 6 cm, and I could have my epidural then. I didn't think I would last until the anestesiologist arrived. I sobbed the whole time. Once that epidural took effect though, I felt absolutely nothing. In fact, I couldn't even move my left leg. For some reason, the machine wasn't picking up my contractions so my mw wasn't sure if I was having any. She decided to give me pitocin, since I had my epi anyway. When she checked me after that I was 9 cm! Time was flying!
Shortly there after, I was feeling quite a bit of pressure. I asked for my mw and she checked and I was fully dialated! We started pushing, and she decided that we should take advantage of the epidural and allow the baby's head to come down on it's own so I wouldn't have to do as much pushing. On the day Emma was born and the following day, my mw delivered 6 babies, so she was busy! I felt intense pressure about 10-15 minutes after she had left, and I thought she'd never come back! When she did I told her I was starting to feel contractions again, and she said the baby was definitely ready to come out. After TEN minutes of pushing, Emma Lee was born at 5:37 pm, weighing in at 7 pounds 1 oz, and 19 inches long. She was very purple, and it took her a few minutes to pink up...a little scary, but everyone was calm about it.
DH and I were in love the minute we saw her. We spent two nights in the hospital, and then we brought our little bean home. I couldn't be happier with my birth experience. All of the craziness beforehand about the due date, and the "it's on!...no it's off..." thing was irritataing, but my actual labor and delivery were incredible. Everything moved so quickly, and my epidural couldn't have been better. Plus I have the best midwife in the entire world, who sat right on the bed with me while I delivered and while she stitched me up. It was such a wonderful experience, I can't imagine it going quite as smoothly in the future...though I can't wait to see!

10 weeks

Last edited by GladToBeAMomma; June 23rd, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
June 22nd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Jasmine.'s Avatar Mommy to Kay & Kennedy!
Such a great birth story! Congrats on baby Emma!

June 23rd, 2011, 03:29 AM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
glad they sent u for an u/s last moment.. !! and its a beautiful birth story..!! congrats again to u and ur family..!!!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

June 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Jade27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats, I love reading birth stories!
June 23rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
myfav5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It was a beautiful day!! One this Auntie will never forget! Emma is such a blessing for our family. I love your description Em. Congrats again.

June 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Congrats! Great birth story!
June 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Im sorry about all the back and forth, but generally it sounds like an amazingly wonderful birth!!! Congrats mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM
cutepiem1's Avatar Veteran
Sounds like you had a really nice birth experience. Congrats on baby Emma
June 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
what a roller coaster! I am glad that you got to have an u/s to check emma's size! she's beautiful, congrats!

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
June 28th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Veteran

July 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
Congratulations
July 2nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
What an experience!!Congrats!!!Glad the birth went so well.

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search