Lucius' Birth Story (long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Super Mommy
My labor symptoms started Sunday night on 6/5. My husband and I had just finished a weekend childbirth class, and then that night I got multiple pre-labor warning signs (TMI)- diarrhea, light pink discharge, thicker discharge (might have been part of my mucus plug), crampiness, and just a general not feeling well. I told my husband to be prepared for a phone call at work on Monday, but by the time daytime came around all of my symptoms had stopped. I thought maybe I just had a cold instead. But early Tuesday morning around 1am the same symptoms came back, though they were less intense than the previous night. I work 3rd shift as a nurse, and after 3 nights off I was preparing to switch myself back to a night shift schedule, so I didn't go to bed that night. I managed to stay awake til 4am convincing myself I wasn't actually in labor, and then finally went to bed assuming that the contractions would wake me up if it was real. Well around 5:30am I woke back up with contractions that were more severe and every 3-4 minutes apart. I was going to wait an hour to see if they stayed consistent when my water broke shortly after 6. At that point I called my OB, finished packing my hospital bag, and went in.

I was in triage probably from about 7:30 to 10:30. I had to wait to see my OB because she had an emergency C-section. So they hooked me up to the contraction monitors and had to start an IV. I was supposed to have my GBS test done at my 36 week appt, but since I was only 35 weeks, they decided to give me the antibiotics anyway just in case. When I finally got to L&D, my OB checked me and I was only 1-2cm dilated, so my nurse got me up and using the birthing ball, taking a shower for nipple stimulation, and walking the halls to try and increase my contractions and dilation. Unfortunately I had to keep getting back into bed every hour so they could put the monitors on. The shower ended up working the best to increase my contractions and the pain increased with it, but I found the pain was still manageable especially if I was walking. (oh yeah, I felt all of my contractions in my lower back, I have no idea what a normal contraction feels like). My OB came back in the afternoon to check me and I was still only 1-2 cm, and she wanted to start Pitocin since it had been a while since my water broke. I was disappointed because I really didn't want the Pitocin and the pain was getting worse, but I didn't want to get an infection either. My goal had been to try for a natural childbirth, but with the back labor and now having to start Pitocin, I requested IV pain meds before they started the Piticon. They gave me a combination of Nubain and Benadryl, and for the next 2 hours I was completely out of it. I was happy though because it gave me a chance to get some sleep that I had failed to get during the night.

I think it was around 6:30pm that the medication started to wear off, and during that time I had managed to progress to 6cm, and the back labor was horrible. I tried breathing through it and changing positions, but the pain was just too intense for me. I ended up requesting an epidural, and didn't let myself get upset that I wasn't able to make it through naturally. The anesthesiologist was amazing- he completed the epi and a spinal in 8 minutes, and it was a wonderful epi because I couldn't feel the pain, but I could still move my legs a little bit and feel sensation when someone touched my legs. Lucius' heart rate did drop after they put in the epi, but once I got turned on my left side it came back up, and after that it stayed up.

At about 10pm I was 8-9cm, which surprised me since I was no longer feeling the contractions, and at midnight I was 10cm and ready to push. The nurses and OB were hopeful that it would be an easier time pushing for me because he was early and smaller. However, it turned out that Lucius was face-up, and every time I pushed he kept sliding back to where he started. I ended up pushing 3 1/2 hours but eventually got him out. I ended up with 2 nurses who were wonderful about encouraging me to keep going and to push strong so that I wouldn't end up needing the vacuum or a c-section. He was born at 3:39am, and I was exhausted by the end of it and I had to fight just to keep my eyes open. I didn't get to hold him right away because he wouldn't cry, but other than that he was fine. His Apgars were 6 and then 9. TMI- I ended up with a 2nd degree tear and some very uncomfortable hemhorroids from the long pushing, and I didn't realize just how uncomfortable sitting and walking would be the next day. But it was all worth it for my son . He was 5lb 2oz, 18 1/2 inches, required no NICU time, and is an excellent breast feeder. The only problem we had was that we had received 2 car seats as gifts, but Lucius failed the fit test in both of them because of his size, so my husband had to go out and buy a 3rd car seat the morning of our discharge. Oh and he was born on my MIL's birthday, which I really don't like, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it . She might hate me next year though when I tell her I am not throwing them a joint bday party.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!
June 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Congrats on your new baby boy!
June 23rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
ppeacocks's Avatar Traci
great story and details.
taryn (4)
travis august 4th
http://www.facebook.com/xtmacx
June 24th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Super Mommy
love the story! congrats momma. Welcome to the world Lucius!

Elizabeth

Emily
June 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Jade27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story, thank you for sharing it.
June 24th, 2011, 11:36 AM
cutepiem1's Avatar Veteran
Congrats! Great birth story
June 24th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Super Mommy
Congratulations!!! When I received the epidural with my kids I asked if my contractions had stopped because all the pain was suddenly 100% gone, it was great! Loved reading your story!
June 26th, 2011, 07:55 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
LMAO can you imagine a joint MIL and 1st bday party?

congrats!! he's a handsome boy

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
June 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM
SarahAngela's Avatar Veteran
Awesome story!

June 28th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Veteran
Congrats on your baby boy!! He is so cute!

June 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
I loved your birth story! And i wanna give you total kudos for not giving yourself a hard time about wanting an epi... you did the best thing for you in your situation. Such a great story.

July 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Congratulations
July 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
Congrats!!!!

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

July 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
Great story!! So awesome he didnt need any nicu stay!!! Congrats again!

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search