Nicholas James' (Scary!) Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The morning of June 20th, my due date, Nick and I woke up around 10am, we dtd.. a little while later I was on facebook posting how disappointed I was it was my due date and I had to go to see my midwife later that day. An hour later at 11am, I was chatting with Cat (Lovnmylabs) on facebook and I felt that huge gush. I got up and it wouldnt stop gushing out, I knew it was my water.

We packed our stuff, called the midwife, Julie (my favorite was on call!) and off we went. By noon I was in the hospital bed, having very painful contractions every couple of minutes. I tried the shower, walking, the ball, nothing helped and I was having all back labor. Around 2 they gave me the intrathecal, and thank God because the monitor was showing some heavy contractions that lasted a long time after that. The only thing I didn't like about it was the itching. I wanted to rip my belly skin off. Around 4pm it wore off but the contractions werent in my back and I could tolerate them. Around 5pm I was 7cm so I went in the birthing tub, that was wonderful!! The contractions were much easier to get through.

By 5:45 it was time to push. However after only about 3-4 contractions, Nicholas' heart rate went way down and I had to get out of the tub. Quite a few nurses ran into the room, I got into the bed and they put an oxygen mask on me. They also called in the doctor to assist Julie. His heart rate continued to go down and they were telling me I might need a c-section. Pushing was very hard for me because I could not breath and never really caught my breath. The baby was crowned for a long time but kept going back in. I pushed as hard as I could, popping every blood vessel in my face down to my shoulders and my eyes. I couldn't see much because my eyes were so swollen.

He was stuck, so they had to do an episiotomy. I wouldn't tear on my own at all. Finally at 7:32pm he came out, they placed him on my chest and all I saw was his head of hair and they took him away. He was blue and not crying. I knew something was wrong but they kept saying he was fine. I knew they were lying and was crying which made my eyes hurt worse. They took him out to work on him and I got stitched up.

It turns out he was hugging his cord so every time I contracted, he lost oxygen. He was put on a breathing tube 2 minutes after birth and didnt make his first weak cry until 10 minutes after birth. I didn't get to see him until about 10pm and seeing him hooked to all those tubes just broke my heart. I cried for hours. I finally held him at 12:15am. Around 2:30am they took out the feeding tube, or whatever it is they use to give him his glucose. He came in the room and I breastfed him for 20 minutes and he went back to the nursery. At 6am they brought him to me for good

He did get some high jaundice levels so he was treated for that which lead to our long hospital stay. They are fine now though! The only other problem is that his soft spot is too big, so we have to schedule a cat scan.

The last belly picture

In the tub

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

June 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM
semi-crunchymom's Avatar Veteran
What a scary story, so happy everything has turned out well.
He's absolutely beautiful, Ashley. Congrats!

Thank you Oona for my adorable siggy!
June 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Julie
Glad things are improving now, very scary! He is so handsome, congrats!
June 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Such a scary delivery. So glad he is home with you and doing well now.
June 24th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh my goodness, Ashley! That would be terrifying. I'm so glad everything turned out well. Nicholas is gorgeous!

Formerly known as "mommynina"

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
June 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks ladies. Hoping that its just my hormones but I cant stop crying about it. I know hes fine and in my arms now but... it hurts to think about

June 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ash, I love you and thank you for posting this! He is gorgeous! And I love your siggy!
June 25th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How scary. I'm glad you didn't have to get a c/s though! I hope it is just your hormones making you sad, he is doing well now! He is just too cute!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

June 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Aw thanks Cat, love you too!!

I was a crying mess yesterday, over everything ugh. I am better today though.

June 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Super Mommy
how scary!! I cry all the time when I think or talk about Braxton's birth, so you are not alone at all.

Married to Bill 9/12/09
DS - Anthony (1/2/02)
DD - Ellie (3/24/04)
DS - Braxton (6/14/11)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search