Edward Michael's amazing birth (super long!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Sue46's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

I had been trying to induce labor forever it seemed like and nothing wasworking. The days leading up to labor, DH and I took multiple walks. I thinkthat's what finally got things rolling. I had been experiencing bouts of falselabor for over a week so by the time I finally went into labor I was more thanready.

June 19th (day after due date)- DH and I went walking at the mall afterhaving breakfast at a local restaurant. That evening around 9:30 I took ashower and had my first strongish contraction while getting dressed. It wasn'tanything new for me so I ignored it and started working on my nails. I reallywanted to get them done. Around 10:30 I notice my contractions are fairlystrong and actually coming pretty regularly. I abandon my nails and see if theyare timeable. They were about 8 minutes apart so I tell DH what’s going on. DHdecides to finish packing his bag and then we decide to give it some time andjust see what happens.

Contractions kept coming and actually started getting closer together! Wethink this maybe the real deal so I get up and have to finish packing my ownhospital bag, DH double checks the baby bag and then starts to get ready. I hadthe urge to use the bathroom (poop) so I did and when I looked down I had lostmy entire mucus plug and I was bleeding lightly. It was my bloody show. Idecide to wash up and then remove the polish from the 4 fingers I had finishedbefore contractions started. I clean myself up and my mom and DH are waitingfor me because I then decide I need to have at least clear on my nails andstart painting them while having contractions that are about 4-6 minutes apart.

We got to the hospital on June 20th at 1:30am, contractions are picking upin intensity and I know for sure baby is coming soon. Nurse checks me and I am4 cm dilated and still contracting strong.(I was 1 cm dilated a week before) Itold DH at this point that this would be our only child because I was dyingfrom the pain of the contractions. The nurse literally checked me for 2-3minutes and gave me one constant, awful contraction. Poor DH is sitting therenext to me trying not to freak out. He starts trying to distract me by tellingme about some random article in a magazine he found.

Doctor comes in and tells me that I am being admitted and that they'll bestarting my antibiotic IV right away since I was GBS+. When the nurse comes into start it before moving me to the labor and delivery ward, I tell her I wantan epidural ASAP.

So they move me into a labor room and I meet my labor nurse who I loved. Shegets me the anesthesiologist almost immediately and I get my epidural. It wasnothing compared to the contractions I was experiencing! DH had a hard timebeing in there with me getting it and just kinda sat in front of me notlooking. My nurse happened to put her hand next to me while I got the epiduraland I grabbed her hand since it was closer. I scratched her in the process! LOLOpps. After this things went sooo smoothly and easily. My nurse checks me rightafter the epidural (it was now 3:30 am) and she tells me I am 5 cm dilated andwhile checking me, my water breaks. I didn't feel any of it, just a littlewarmth of the water. I am feeling awesome at this point, my legs are justasleep, I feel no pain and I can still slightly move my legs.

At 5:30 she checks me again and I am 7cm dilated. It was going so easily!The nurse tells me though that her shift ends at 7am and she hoped she would bethere for the birth. At 6:20ish I tell my mom that my butt feels a littleweird. Right then my nurse and a doctor come into my room because the monitorsthey had placed in my vagina were giving them weird readings. The doctor checksme and the monitor was out because I was 10 cm and the baby's head was rightthere! So the Dr decides to have gravity help the baby descend and has me situp a little. 10 minutes later I feel pressure in my vagina and call my nurse.She checks and tells me baby is right there. She has me start pushing and I askto watch so they get me the mirror.

I pushed for like 5 minutes and the nurse tells me to stop so she can getthe doctor. My mom happened to be in the hallway (she didn't want to watch hisbirth) and heard my nurse telling a Dr that she needed her right now because Iwas about to give birth. 2 other women were in the same place as I was and theDr was telling my nurse I had to wait Apparently my nurse told the Dr somethingvery sternly because a minute later 5 people were in my room to help deliver mybaby. When the Dr walked in and saw the baby's head right at the entrance Iheard her say "Oh you were right". So from there I pushed for approx20 minutes and Edward Michael was born! I got to see it all and nothing hurt!It was awesome! Even DH watched who was a little iffy on it at first. Edwardwas born at 6:59am, a minute before my nurse's shift ended. She ended upstaying a little bit afterwards to make sure everything was going well. She wasfantastic.

My placenta was delivered 10 minutes later, baby gave me a 2nd degree tearso I had to get stitches. The Dr did a good job at cleaning me up but when babywas born she showed him to me then turned around and handed him to the baby'snurse who cleaned him up. This was the most annoying part of my labor, notgetting to hold my baby right away. Besides that everything just wentperfectly. I could do it again and again. From start to finish my labor wasabout 9 hours, and I was only in the hospital about 5 1/2 hours before my babywas born. Which was perfect since I was GBS+.

Eddie got a 9 and a 9 on his 1 and 5 minute APGARs, he was 7lbs, 14oz and heis 22 inches long! He is absolutely perfect in every way. I couldn't have askedfor a better son. The 3+ years of heartaches and trying for him was worththe wait.

June 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Julie
Ohhh he's so handsome! What a wonderful birth story, really as close as you can get to perfect, so happy it went so well for you!
June 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww...he's such a cutie. Glad everything went well for you. How is your tear healing? Did you change your mind about having another child?

Throughout my pregnancy I kept telling DH he better pray there are twins in there cause I wasn't doing this again....the second Zoey was placed on my chest I changed my mind and plan on TTC as soon as we get the go ahead from the dr.
June 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Sue46's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's healing really well, the Dr who cleaned me up did a good job. Phew! I feel almost all the way back to normal, the only thing that hurts is my back sometimes at the epidural site and only when I bend over for longer than a minute.

Oh and as soon as I got the epidural and the pain was gone, I changed my mind. It was those initial pains that first got me and had me saying I was done! They don't lie though when they say you forget because I already forgot the pain.

June 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Oh Sue

I am so so happy for you ! He is just beautiful, and I can sooo see you telling Dh to wait while you paint your nails

Congrats again !

August 4th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good timing with the GBS and all! Seems like it went VERY well for you. I had to wait on my doc, too. I was like what the heck?!

I didn't want another one until a few weeks ago... It took me a while to get over the terror I had. (Though, it was irrational... Hospitals just, ugh *shiver*, get me.)

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search