Orion Michael's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been meaning to do this forever!

We found out the week before he was born that we were going to need a c-section due to some developed tachycardia (discovered during a really scary ER visit the friday before that). I was pretty depressed about it at first, the thought of a c-section was so opposite everything I had hoped to do, not to mention the hospial had some crazy regulations posted on their website (like you dot get to kee the baby overnight the first night after the section), I was really nervous. However I decided to talk to my moms friend who had two c-sections at the same hospital in the past 8 years or so, so I talked to her and she said that wasnt how it was and explained everything they did with her. I felt alot better after talking to her.The surgery was schedualed for Friday June 17th at 12:30 and boy did that date catch me really quick. It was so surreal get up, get ready, and leave for the hospital KNOWING we would be having a baby THAT day.We got there at 10 like we were supposed to, and signed in. They had me wait in the waiting room to be called back. We waiting for about 45 minutes. My ENTIRE family was there in the waiting room with us (bugging us really), but then I got called back (just me, they made Devin wait) and I was taken back to pre-op.

I had to anwser all of those millions of qustions AGAIN (for like the 3rd time that week) and then get into my gown and get my IV's. Oh boy, the IV's. Let me start by saying I have never ever in my ENTIRE life had a problem hittin a vein. Not once, and back 2 weeks prior when I had the tachycardic episodes it started from an failed IV, so I was nervous. The nurse tries to top of my left hand first. It hurt, and I made the mistake of looking down. Blood everywhere (pooling all over my hand), very quickly I started to focus on my breathing while she cleaned that and taped it up. She was going to try and do it on wrist and I told her no, to put it in my elbow. She goes "Oh no I hate to do that to you" blah blah blah, I say again, no just put it in my elbow. So she does. Somehow when hitting my vein blood came out all over the place, like dripping down my arm onto the floor, the only reason I looked over at all was because she said "Well Im going to have to clean this up before I bring Devin back"

So then she went and did my OTHER IV in my right hand, which thank god only took one try to get. I thought I was out of the woods with these freaking needles and someone comes in and says they are taking my blood (to which I immediatly said "why did I need to get my blood drawn two days ago?"- I was getting frustrated with the needles now). So instead od taking it out of my right elbow she goes over to my left side, with the IV in it and goes about and inch off to the side (inside) of my elbow and sticks me which hurt really badly but didnt bleed alot or anything. I had to do an EKG then while the nurse was cleaning my blood off the floor, and then they brought Devin back.

Devin looked really scared when they brought him back, he was asking what they did (we wernt expecting to be seperated) and everything. Then we just sat there for a few minutes and thought about our last few minutes as just us. It seemed like Devin was only there for 5 inutes before they took me into the OR. This was the part I was scared of, the epidural. They had me sit up on a table and lean forward. I was terrified, which lead my spaces being tight. Oddly enough when they said it was over I didnt believe them. I fely o pain other then the little pricks to numb me. Then I started to feel really heavy, they laid me back, stapped my arms down. I remember asking if it was normal to be able to move my toes a little bit, they told me it was. The brought Devin in, he looked terrified seeing me all strapped down but he sat on a little stool right next to me and asked how I was. I heard my doctors voice, but at the moment all I was focusing on was hearing my baby cry.

My doctor told me they had already started, which I new because of the smell. But I couldnt feel anything. Then I got very itchy, I was trying to tell Devin to itch my eyes, but he wasnt doing it hard enough, then the itch moved down my face and I immeditaly wanted to claw my skin off. I guess I started to shake (like wiggle myself) to try and itch, whcich freaked everyone out cause thy loaded me full of medication to stop the itching. It didnt work, so they gave me more. Then I hit a side effect of the ant-itch medicine. I started feeling sick and jsut threw up all over myself. They gave me anti-nausea medicine which lasted a few minutes.

At that time, I felt like we had been in there forever. I was thinking something had went wrong, why was it taking so long? Then I felt alot of pressure, the only thing I can really relate it to is what I imagine being scooped with a giant ice cream scooper would feel like. And then the releif of all the pressure and the most amazing noise I had ever heard, a big loud and proud scream immediatly after they took him out. He only let out one big scream thens topped till he was at the warmer. I remember telling Devin (who had already gotten up to go see him) to go to him, they didnt show him to me over the curtain or anything, but at that time I didnt notice. I didnt feel them do anything else to me, I was just staring over at the little warmer seeing bits and pieces of him and a scream every now and then. I saw his weight pop up on the screen. 8 lbs 3 oz. I was crying now, Devin was staring at him and taking pictures, and then finally after what felt like forever they showed him to me. He was so beautiful I cried more. They had Devin hold him and let me touch his face and then they took some pictures of us as a family.

I dont really remember them leaving, or when it was in retrospect to when I left the OR. I guess I went to sleep, because the next thing I remember I am iin post-op recovery. I can see Devin across the room with Orion. I was still sick and vomiting (in my hair because I had a crappy nurse) but all I could do was stare at Devin and the every now and then piece of Orion I would see. I guess I fell asleep again because the next thing I remember is being in my recovery room, I remember peopleing talking to me and faling asleep inthe middle of them talking. Then my parents came in and I held Orion for the first time. I was so drugged up I wasnt super comfortable carrying him, but it was all I wanted to do. Everyone came in and saw him, I kept falling asleep. Then I got really shaky and told Devni to hold him. My entire body was shakey and that lasted for HOURS. I wasnt fully myself again until that night. I was sleepy and sick and shakey for hours and hours before I could really enjoy my son. But none of that mattered because he was so perfect. he was handsome and had a whole head of BLONDE hair. All that mattered was him and Devin. We were finally this little family and it was amazing.

Devin was great with im that first night. I was so out of it all I could do was feed him and every couple horus I would feel really good and cuddle with him. But mostly it was Devin doing everything. I didnt even change a diaper until saturday night! Our hospital stay was okay (not bad not great), we had some amazing nurses and then one we just did not like. She was never checking on us like the other nurses were and she tried to make us give him formula because he wanted to be at my breast all night (even though he was having a perfect amout of diapers-wet and poopy). But other then that everything went well. Oh except they took my blood AGAIN (!) this time on the other side of my left elbow, and I bruised all over that elbow. In places I wasnt even stuck I bruised. But in the end, when we were discharged, it was all fine. None of the bad stuff mattered and I would do it all again for this little man. Me and Devin are totally smitten with him, he is truly the msot amazing thing EVER.

Well thats his birth story, sorry its so long , but since its so long I will put some pictures for your enjoyment

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

June 28th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Julie
Awesome pics! Orion is such a cutie, congrats!
August 3rd, 2011, 01:57 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry no one cleaned the puke out of your hair! I really liked our story, it was a good way for me to understand a c-section. Being scooped like ice cream. The pictures are great!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search