The birth of Emrys James

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM
meggers's Avatar Veteran
Here’s my birth story (sorry it’s a little long):
My newest little man arrived on June 23rd. I was 37w 6d and I had my 38 week appointment scheduled for that day, which I never made it to. I woke up to my water breaking in bed around 4:50am. I was really thrown off at first because I thought I just lost bladder control. Then I realized how wet it was around me and that my water broke. I woke DH up and had him get me towel so that I wouldn’t drip all of the way to the bathroom so I could get dressed. I called my doctor to let her know that my water broke. She confirmed to me that since I wasn’t GBS positive that I didn’t have to rush to the hospital. I wanted to walk around the house a bit in hopes that contractions would start on their own. I called one of my doulas to let her know that my water broke. I was getting some contractions so I decided to try and time them to see how long and far apart they were. DH named me the worst contraction timer ever. I was busy getting distracted with other things that needed done around the house that I had trouble remembering to hit the button on my phone when contractions started and stopped. Eventually, DH decided that we should go to the hospital because he was worried that labor would progress too quickly.

We arrived at the hospital around 6:40ish. When we got to the registration desk around 6:50, the woman working there said I was the fourth woman in labor to come in since she started at 6:00. When we finished at registration, there were two other women in labor waiting to register. We got settled into a room and my doula showed up not too long after that. The nurse confirmed that my water did break and I was about 4cm dilated. She needed me monitored for about 20 min. to make sure that baby was handling contractions well. My contractions weren’t terribly strong at that point, but it was painful to be stuck in the bed. Once the 20 min. were up, I wanted to walk the halls to help make sure the contractions continued. My doctor said that if I wasn’t making good progress on my own by around noon then we would need to discuss pitocin. My doula, DH, and I made many laps around the labor/delivery and postpartum area with brief breaks so that the nurse could monitor the baby.

My doctor came in around noon to check on my progress. Contractions were coming regularly and I was now dilated to 7cm so she was happy with the progress I was making on my own. She said that I could have some pitocin and get the baby out faster or let things happen naturally. I declined the pitocin and she said that I would probably have a baby by 4pm. I continued the laps around the hall and eventually things got more intense that I thought it would be best to keep to my room. My doula joked that the postpartum nurses get a little freaked out when a woman has a baby in their hall.

I sat on the birth ball for a while which felt good until the contractions got too intense. At my doula’s suggestion, I went to the shower and had water sprayed on my back and belly. The time that I spent in the shower was difficult. The contractions were intense and they were right on top of each other so I never had much of a break. At some point (I can’t remember the reasoning now), I moved from the shower to the bed. My doula put the head of the bed up as much as possible so I could lean on it while I kneeled on the bed. Finally, I felt the urge to push. The nurse checked me and said that I was 9.5cm. She asked someone else in the room to call my doctor and let her know that I had an anterior lip and was ready to push.

I was facing toward the bed, so I couldn’t tell when my doctor arrived or how many other people were in the room at this point. It felt good to push but the pushing stage was also frustrating because it didn’t seem like I was making much progress. I pushed for a while in the upright position but then turned over to my back. Emrys James entered the world at 3:27pm measuring 20.5 inches long and weighing 8 lbs 15 oz. My doctor and nurses were amazed that he handled labor so well. When he came out, the cord was around his neck and there was a good knot in it as well.

All of the nurses who came into my postpartum room commented on how big he was for a newborn. They were all amazed when I told them that he was two weeks early.

Here is a picture:
June 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Wow that is big considering how early you were!!!

Sounds like a great labor!

He is soo cute... looks like a lil Gerber baby!

June 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran

June 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
He is so handsome.SO glad you went completely on your own and all is good.Congrats!!!

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

June 30th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Jade27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a cutie, thanks for posting your story.
July 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
aww he is so handsome Yay for a natural delivery!!

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13
July 10th, 2011, 08:21 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
omgoodness, he's perfect!! congrats!!

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search