Gabriel Ryan's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I figured since almost everyone had already delivered, I'd go ahead and post my birth story.

At my 39 week appointment my midwife told me I was 3cm and looked favorable for a cervadil induction. Hooray! I was so ready to give birth I could explode. Meredith told me the baby was so low he could practically fall out. I looked at her and said, "Well that's the idea isn't it?"

She told me she'd induce me on Sunday if I didn't go into labor on my own since she liked the doctor on call in case something happened and wanted to make sure I was going to be well taken care of. So that meant a Memorial Day baby at the latest!

Over the course of the week, I had several false alarms and finally ended up leaving work early Thursday to go home and wait it out. Thank god, 'cause I was really tired of the "you haven't had that thing yet?" comments. Yeah, what was your first clue, rude person?

My husband drove me home from the hospital and informed me that his parents were coming up the next day and would be staying over the course of the weekend. Uh, what? Apparently they wanted to be there for the birth and his dad was going to help our house construction. To be honest, I was really unhappy about this. First, whenever his parents come, they eat everything in our fridge and pantry. And when I say everything, I mean it. I'd been stocking up and cooking so we wouldn't have to do anything other than microwave when the baby came. There went that plan.

Sunday rolls around and my house is a wreck again. My fridge is empty and my sink is full. I spent the whole day cleaning the house (when I get angry I clean and nesting + angry = one clean house). I was to be induced at 6pm that night, so I told my husband we needed to stop by Sam's Club on the way to pick up grocery items because I was not coming home to an empty house and his parents can take it back to the house when the go back to watch the dogs. While we were checking out, a lady walked up to me and asked when I was due. "Today!" I replied.

"Oh, is it twins?" she asked.

"Uh, no, just the one."

"REALLY?!"

Yeah, really lady.

So we arrive at the hospital, and I'm all aggravated. I'm really ready to get this show on the road. All my coworkers come up and wish me luck, which really made me feel better and I got a lot of last-minute guesses for the gender. I got up to my room and it was right next to the nurses' station, which was great since any visitors would have to go past them no matter what direction they came from. I got dressed and the nurse told me Meredith would come in and insert the cervadil in an hour. She then told me I wouldn't be able to walk around for 3 hours after it was inserted. Boooo! And that I'd have to be on the monitor the whole time. Booooo! AND that I'd have to have fluids the whole time. Triple BOOOO!

Meredith came in and inserted the cervadil a while later and I sat around and chatted with my parents, in-laws, and husband for a few hours. Finally, the in-laws left and my dad said good night as well. My contractions started picking up at that point. They came in and took out the cervadil and said I could use the potty, get in the tub, and walk around for a bit. Yay! The tub was divine. DH came and sprayed me with the hand-held shower and scrubbed my back for me. Ahhh...

I got back into bed when I was done and the nurses talked me into getting an Ambien after assuring me that the medicine wouldn't knock me out so hard I'd wake up too late for an epidural. ZONKED! I woke up sometime in the early morning and said I'd like my epidural now, but I barely remember it. I did talk to the anesthesiologist about how the epidural worked and what medicines were to be used since I am immune to certain numbing medicines and some don't work on me for very long. He said since it was continuous, I should be fine and I could press a button to give myself more. After he inserted it, I passed back out again.

About 10am Meredith came back and in checked me and said she wanted to break my water as I was 7cm. When she broke it, she said there was meconium, so the NICU team would be on had at the delivery just in case.

She came back a while later and I was at 10 and ready to push, YAY!

However, the baby was sunny-side up. Meredith said she was going to try to turn him so it would be easier to get him out and to avoid a possible c-section because of the way his head was angled. I about lifted up off the bed. It was awful. She finally got him turned over so it was totally worth it.

I couldn't feel the contractions at all, but I felt a lot of pressure, so the nurses told me when to push. I began pushing and the nurses and my husband held my legs. I pushed for about 30 minutes and gradually became aware that I couldn't feel my abdomen, but I could feel everything below that. Oh my god. And I could feel his head was coming out at a funky angle, like his face was tilted off to one side. I continued to push and in between the pushes, the nurses and my family were watching Pawn Stars and then rushing back to the bed to help me push again, lol.

After an hour more of pushing, they began to prep for the delivery. Meredith kept saying, "Baby is right there!" for another 30 minutes. I was in agony and close to giving up when they told me to give a good push and out popped the baby's head! We figured out why his head was at an odd angle then: he had his little hand stuck up by his face and it was NOT budging. I lost the contraction and just started yelling, "Pull it out! Pull it out!" They lifted my legs up and Meredith pulled him out. They held him up for my husband who said, "It's a boy! It's a boy, right? It's a boy!" to which I replied, "Ok, then..."

NICU checked him out and held him up for me to see, but I was pretty out of it. Meredith started to stitch me after I delivered the placenta and realized I had full feeling down there. She numbed me, stitched me and handed me by baby! I was beyond exhausted having labored a total 21 hours, so I handed him to daddy, got cleaned up and took a nice nap.

All in all, it was good birth experience other than the epi wearing off, so I had an accidental natural birth, lol.

My Boring Blog
July 29th, 2011, 05:18 AM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry your epi wore off! Did they know at the time it had worn off? I wonder if they could have done something about it, it may have been too late though.

haha it's funny that in between contractions they were going and watching TV. Between my contractions we were having random conversations with the nurse

Congrats on your baby boy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search