Logan's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Peace.Love.Pepsi's Avatar Just another mommy
I wrote this three days after he was born. Im just not getting to posting it.

June 15th-16th ( night)
Chase had a really rough night. He wouldent sleep for anything, kept waking up non stop and crying. We had went to bed fairly early ( for us) But he was just having a rough night. I figure teething issues with second year molars and whatnot. Anyway i took 2 tylenol PM and 3000 mg EPO vaginally before bed. Like any night. Around 3 when Chase finally fell asleep, i went to the bathroom and saw i was having bloody show. At that point i got excited, for me, bleeding is a pretty sure sign of inpending labor. So i got online, i was unable to sleep. Excitement does that. And then indesision hits lol. Should i pack my bag for the hospital. That means going under the house to get it. Or going in my room to get the babys things. I chatted with a few people online. And around 5 i went down stairs and got the suitcase. I put my things in it, but didnt go in the bedroom for babys things till after everyone else got up. During that time i was having what i call pressure contractions. Totally painless all i really felt was pressure down south. They were sporatic and annoying. Around 6 am when Tonys alarm went off i told him i was still passing bloody mucus and whatnot and the contractions were super random and painless, did he want to go to work. He sent a email to his boss saying he was gonna stay home seeing we figured i was in early labor.
I tried to sleep, i think till about 7 before i got up and started trying to clean up some. Threw a load of laundry in ( stupid me lol) folded some clothes and eventually everyone else got up. The contractions never got more painful or closer together but i continued to pass bloody mucus, Not a whole lot but some. I still figured it on either super early labor or false labor.
Around noonish i convinced everyone to talk a walk, figuring it on either kicking up contractions ( hopefully lol) or just kill it. Either way i was hoping. I did check my cervix and found it to be about a 3 and could feel the amniotic sac. So i know i was progressing. I also took 3 capsuls of RRL at that point. ( about 1500 mg, which is comparable to about 1 cup of the tea lol)
Our walk was... 2 miles and about 2 hrs long. Contractions started every 12 minutes, then after about 3, every 6 minutes. I used my ipod to time them lol. Walks are slow progress for us, Chase likes to play, even bringing the stroller, which im happy i did because its nice to be able to brace against something, even when the contractions arent strong. Which they wernt. They really wernt painful, not even period cramps. By the time we reached our turn around point they were about 4 minutes apart, actually 4 minutes 50 seconds, each time, which was funny. My oldest son then crashed his bike and they slowed to 6 minutes, but as we came back, they picked back up fairly well. By the time we were on the last leg of the walk, the last quarter mile, they were abou 2 and a half minutes apart.
We decide to call my drs answerng service,evn though he was out of town, better then just going to the hospital. I talked to the nurse on call, then she refered me to the dr on call, after talking with him, he said to come in to be checked out. We called my stepfather to come and get the kids because we didnt want to talk to. We grabbed our bags and carseat and figured on being sent home anyways. In the car to the hospital i had 3 contractions... 8.5 minutes apart. I was at that point figuring on being sent home. Total bummer.
They got me into L&D triage and did a urine test and then monitored my contractions. They were 8 minutes apart for the first two, then 6 minutes apart for the next, maybe hour or so. The nurse came in and deicded to check me, at first she said, oh ok, shes a 5, then she said wait, here comes a contraction, which again, i can still talk through at this point. And she goes, nope 6. Lets get you admitted.
ROCK ON!
The contractions wernt even moan worthy, they were less then period cramps but i know my labors. i knew this wasnt going to stay lol. No way in hell right. So we go to the birthing room, and they check the babys heart rate, get signing some paper and sometime within the first hr the on call dr came in. I remember hearing alot of good things about this dr, that he is very natural, hands off, give you a vitamin over a medicine kind of dr, my kind of guy really. Biggest reason i like my dr is he gives multiple US's during pregnancy but is still plenty hands off! I asked if i could get in the tub, again previous expierence tells me that being in hot water is a good thing. They said they needed to check the babys HR through a few contractions first.
My L&D nurse decided she was going to just stick in the room after i talked about my previous labors, she brought in some charts to work on, she didnt want something happening and no one being there. After a few minutes we saw my parents pull in and i got a bit annoyed. Tony went out to talk to them. I didnt want them in the room, After a bit he came back. I was standing and swaying with each contraction and talking when my water broke. Just a pop and drip drip, then a small gush, and drip drip lol. Tony had to get the nurse for me and she said yeah it looked like it lol. the nurse started filling the tub. She was an awesome nurse too. She was friendly and we chatted a bunch about circing and medical stuff and our stance on stuff and hers. Which was where we stood. Awesome lol. The dr came in here and we talked for a few minutes. He was laughing about me being over 6 cms and talking during each contraction. Hes like, i have a feeling you will be talking during pushing, i said no, im a screamer but this part was easy. And it was! I was still standing easily, talking, feeling little pressure but not a whole lot of pain. I was at a 4 on the scale. They were laughing and surprised i was in such little pain. Believe me. I was too! Dr left and i went for the tub.
The tub was awesome. Nice and deep. I wore my night time nursing bra and the water came right up below it when i sat in the tub lol. That way i didnt feel so exposed. The contractions were nice and easy in the tub, it felt really good and relaxing to be in the water. The contractions started coming faster. The nurse and Tony just stood around chatting with me. As they reached about 3 minutes apart ( maybe an hour in the tub) I was starting to have to kinda huff through contractions. It hurt to sit in the water so i was using my arms to lift up some off my bum because thats where it hurt. After about 5 contractions i said i was feeling pressure and should get out. The nurse was ok! And helped me get out and dried off and to the bed. At this point the dr came back in and checked me. He said i was at an 8. I said thats IT? LOL. It was good progress! But i wanted to hear i was total. He said something about letting him know when i needed to push and left for a bit. These contractions were the ones where i was moaning and deep breathing through them. As best i could. After maybe 3 more contractions i said the pressure was getting bad, so the nurse called the dr back. I cant remember if he checked me out at that point ( not a cervical exam) but im pretty sure he just sat in the rocker at the other side of the bed and waited. I do remember as soon as i said i had to push he was at the foot of the bed.
This is where the screaming started lol. Well right before i had to push. The contractions were fast and painful. This is the normal stage that i end up going to the hospital at lol. One after another and i knew it was going to be fast! When i had to push it wasnt every contraction. I would have a super strong one that lasted like 2 minutes, then a series of lighter ones i would just moan through. The strong ones i was trying not to scream and to push a bit. But they were very overwhelming. The dr sat at the foot of the bed. I had warned everyone about how much pelvic pain i had had and couldent spread my legs the normal way, The dr later joked that he wasnt sure how he was supposed to catch the baby, my legs were so close together and i still ended up really hurting my pelvis lol. Opened too much. I finally got to where i wanted to push and he told me to go ahead. He didnt do a check again. He was really great about letting me do what i needed to do.
The contractions were hard, i screamed alot, i begged for drugs, and tony was great about tlaking me down and trying to get me to focus. I did a few pushes said i couldent do anymore and everoyne laughed because i was crowning. I do that every time lol. I begged them to just pull him out, to cut him out whatever just make it stop! On top of the contractions i was having the terrible pelvic pain, and every contraction was almost smothering me, i kept clawing at my sports bra because the band around my chest hurt and i couldent breathe. At one point in between the big ones, where the two smaller contractions were hitting with no urge to push, I started to tell myself your body works with the contractions, the contractions push the baby down, it dosent hurt its working, its working. and i was just chanting. Then when the next big contraction hit, i did that roar scream thing that sounds like you arent even human and really started pushing. It took three pushes and his head was out. The dr was telling me to feel him and i kept saying i cant, tony said i could i said i cant, But then i started pushing again, dr told me to slow down but haha like that is gonna happen right. You are at that point where your brain is no longer in control and you are working on instinct and instinct says push the baby out! his shoulders came, then the dr had me grab him and i pulled him up on me.
The pediatric team started covering him up with warm blankets and getting him rubbed down. He was screaming before he got all the way out and i was just OMGing lol. Tony was holding his hand and it was just a wow im done! Well almost. The dr kept an eye on the cord. Seeing i didnt want pitocin afterwords if i could help it. He was waiting for the cord to stop pulsating. When that happened, they cut it, he looked and said the placenta was right there just a bit of a push to get it out, he didnt even try to remove it. Awesome! I felt another contraction and pushed out the placenta. Those were the nice contractions lol, like the early ones. ALmost totally painless lol. Dr peeked and said i had a tear but he wasnt going to bother with it. After that the dr pretty much left lol.
The peds team after a bit, cleaned up Logan and weighed him. 9 lbs 15 oz. 21 inches long, his head was 14 inches. at 8 37 pm. After he was weighed and whatnot, i nursed him for an hour then my parents and the kids came in. They visited for an hour then took the boys home. I nursed for another hour then we moved to a c section PP room seeing it was SUPER busy and all the delivery rooms were full lol.
The first night, we did great, But when they checked his blood sugars his first was 52, and they should be above 50, so they checked him again, next check was 41 so they sent in the lab to draw blood. That was terrible. it was 45 after nursing, so they had to keep coming back every 2 hrs, then every half hr, 2 hrs, half hr. After the low draw the ped on call ordered him to have 1/2 oz of formula. I hated that. But he nursed well after that too. His blood sugars came up. And we continued to nurse.
Talk about a boring nothing happening hospital stay, the OB said we could go that next morning, but the Ped said we should stay so we had a second uncomfortable night and then we got to come home at noon on the 18th.

So lets see, PP stuff. I really hurt my pelvis. I cant really lift my legs up to climb things. But im not sore. Im not in pain down south. I dont have to use the peri bottle, not once lol. BF is going amazingly well. I think my best latcher EVER. Im not in tears pain. Im just sore when he latches on and then sore for a bit but not toe curling in tears pain. so that is awesome. Im actually happy my dr was out of town, i didnt need an iv, they put a hep lock in and gave me a round of antibiotics because my GBS status was unknown, they later found it to be negative, so i didnt need the first batch. But oh well. I had no IVs, they kept me drinking the whole labor, Even would have let me eat had i asked, but i didnt.

Anyways thats the way it went
July 8th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's rad the doctor was so hands off! Myst have been amazing to be so in charge of your own birth in the hospital! I was giggling at the "I need drugs" and "I can't do it anymore" parts, we never seem to realize we are just about finished... Roghan had blood sugar issues as well. They stole him to the NICU for four hours and pumped him full of formula. DH was with him the whole time, but they wouldn't let him leave until he took 30ml every hour and a half.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

July 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM
haha i know, its right at the end that you think you cant do it anymore. As much as i enjoy my family dr IF and its a HUGE IF i have another one i ay switch to that dr lol. The on call made my birth so much better then my ob who is less hands off.
The formula part really sucks. I hate it, Seemed so stupid. But what can you do... you dont want them sick or something wrong....
July 8th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Yes, I really liked my on call as well. I'm not sure how my regular does in births since this was my first! Lol. I know there are two I will see at my practice now!
Seriously... The formula was a NICU thing... They told me if his blood sugar dropped again though, he would go back. So every other nursing I would give him some formula because I didn't want them to take him away!!!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

July 9th, 2011, 12:16 AM
We dont have a nicu or even a nursery at my hospital lol. If there is an emergency they medivac you to Anchorage via helicopter ( an 8 minute ride)
But the on call ped ordered the formula. I just tossed it after he ate the oz they required and went right back to nursing him.
Honestly i hate formula. my first was FF, i hate the smell of it, i hate the idea of it, i hate the poops from it. I just dont like it lol. So i put him back on the breast as soon as i could. Had his rates dropped again i would have done the formula again, i didnt want anything bad but i would rather him make it on me lol.
July 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Gotcha. We have no nursery either, my hospital is very pro-breast so I (and my nurses especially since one was an LC!) were irritated the NICU was forcing formula. I hate it too. I was scared to open his diapers after he had formula... Lol. I'm really glad we were still able to nurse after all the issues we had.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search