Ethan Dylan's birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Julie
I went into the hospital at 7:30 am on 7/7 for an induction. I was already 3 cm and 80% effaced so they just hooked me up to an IV and then started the pitocin very low and upped it about every hour I believe. They started the drip at 8:30. I didn't start feeling any contractions for about an hour. They started getting very close together- about 2 minutes, around 11:30. They were close together and about a 6 on the pain scale at their peak, which didn't last terribly long. My SO sat by my bed and we just watched TV and talked and updated our families on what was going on. Then at 12:30 the doctor came and checked me-OUCH!! He said that I had progressed to 4cm but the baby was at -2 station, so I guess since he had to reach so high up there it was painful. Right after he checked me I asked for the epidural. So the epi was done just about 5 minutes later and it was quick and almost painless, so I was relieved about that. At 1:00, just 30 minutes later, I was 8cm! At about 2:00 I was 9cm and the cervical checks were so easy, I didn't even feel them! I did start feeling like a constant twinge of pain on my lower right pelvic area and then I started feeling the contractions-not at their full force, so it was still very manageable and I didn't even have to breathe through them, but I was aware of when they started and stopped. So I asked my nurse about this and she said that since I was already 9cm that it was possibly the pressure that couldn't be helped by topping off the epi, but regardless she didn't want to do that because it would be better if I had some kind of sensation for pushing. I agreed so we just left it alone and didn't call back the anesthesiologist. At 2:30 I was feeling a little more pressure and was checked and was at 10cm! I started pushing just a few minutes after that. It was a good epi experience because I did have some kind of vague sensation still, but it was nowhere near the pain of natural childbirth so it was totally manageable. I just pushed when I felt a contraction coming on. I was holding back my legs with the help of my SO and a nurse and the doctor really coached me through exactly what to do and how to do it. I really found that holding back my legs as far as I possibly could did wonders for my pushing progress. I was getting that helpless, overwhelmed feeling after about 15 minutes of pushing and I kept getting scared and dreading that the baby would be too big and get stuck, but another 15 minutes of pushing and Ethan Dylan was born at 3:01 pm, 9 lbs. 12 oz!! The doctor said "holy ****!" and I nearly fell off the bed I couldn't believe how big he was! For me, who's biggest baby before this one was 8lbs. 8 oz, I was shocked! His sugars were normal, apgars 8 and then 9. It was such a joyful moment for me and my SO, I was so relieved to finally be holding my baby boy. I will post pics when I get a chance, he's been keeping me real busy with breast feeding! Hope everyone is doing well
July 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats hun!!! What a BIG baby! I'm so glad to hear he didnt get stuck and is doing so well . BIG hugs!

July 10th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Julie
Yes, I was sooo relieved, thank you!
August 5th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a nice induction story! Did you tear at all with him being so large? I didn't see any mentioning of an episiotomy so I assumed you didn't have one.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

August 5th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Julie
Samantha-yes, I had a 2nd degree tear so the doctor did need to stitch me up. I've been cut by the doctor in one of my previous births and I didn't really notice any difference as far as recovery was concerned as compared to tearing on my own.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search