Our Fireworks Show

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2011, 09:19 AM
mishymama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So on Sunday, the 3rd of July, I woke about 4:30 really sick and was up every couple of minutes sick and having mild ctx. When DH woke to get ready for church I told him I didn't know if we'd be going. The ctx were regular, but not getting any stronger, and I still felt awful, but had completely cleaned out my system by then, so we decided to get ready and see how things were by the time it was time to leave. By then, the ctx had still not strengthened at all, so we decided to go. We even went out to lunch after with a huge group from church. It was a lot of fun, and the ctx faded out. (I didn't eat, b/c I was still too sick, but it was fun to hang out.) When we got home, I cried and just told God I couldn't handle being so sick any more, and I needed to either just sleep, or have this baby. I slept SO well that night. I went to bed early and didn't wake up until almost 6AM on the 4th.

I was really really hoping to have the baby that day. Around 9 that morning I was laying in bed snuggling and nursing Aria Gail and listening to the rest of the family helping David make breakfast upstairs. I had a couple of ctx while she was nursing and kind of giggled b/c Firecracker clearly was NOT a fan of them. After one, he gave this fierce wiggle and it was such an odd feeling. I thought "was that a pop?" I decided it was just a weird flurry of movement, but then came the huge gush that confirmed the pop I thought I'd felt. My water broke in a huge gush all over my bed. I immediately hollered upstairs for David who replied "Just a minute." I hollered back, "NO! NOW!" He said he knew when I called him my water had broken by the urgency in my voice. He grabbed me a towel and laid down the tablecloths we had bought to put on the floor and I waddled to the bathroom to clean up. He stripped the bed-thankfully we had made it up with a vinyl tablecloth underneath the sheets to protect the mattress. I had the movie style of water breaking, and Elijah's head wasn't in the right position to stop things, so I continued to gush huge amounts of liquid, much to Aria Gail's amusement. "Mommy, you go potty? You go potty on the floor, Mommy!" I called my MW to give her a heads up, and my Dad since he'd have to make travel plans. Other than that we didn't want to call people until we knew what was going on. So I showered and cleaned up as best I could and sat on a towel on the yoga ball trying to bounce and get ctx going. only they weren't. After AG stopped nursing, I only had a couple of ctx.

I bounced and waited until about 1, and when nothing was still happening, I decided to ask AG if she'd nurse. (She has only been nursing for a few minutes once a week, or every 2 weeks for the last little while.) She was agreeable, so we started nursing. While she was nursing, I'd have ctx, just a couple minutes apart, but if we took a break, they'd fade out again. So I kept nursing her, trying to get things going. Elliot was my 1st homebirth, and with him, my water broke and I never could get ctx going and ended up in the hospital with pitocin. I was really worried we were headed that way again. God truly provided, and Aria Gail nursed for hours that afternoon. Around 5:30 the ctx were really picking up, and becoming rather painful, and my MW called again to check on things. She told us she was going to come over and we'd talk about our options. She got there around 6:30 and by then the ctx had finally picked up. She checked me to see how things were going and I was 4 cm and really thick. We decided that since the ctx were getting intense, and I was somewhat dialated, that we'd see if this would work. Around this time the ctx really kicked in, and despite my worry that I'd have to nurse AG through the entire labor, I was able to stop and the ctx stuck around. Thankfully, b/c that's when AG discovered the kids had pizza and wanted nothing more to do with nursing anyway. LOL

So that's when labor really started for me. David and my MW sat on the couch and chatted while I bounced on the ball and moved around and breathed through ctx. I was trying to concentrate on "making a joyful noise unto the Lord", and singing "This is the Day" in my head, but the ctx were really getting rough. My MW and David started putting pressure on my lower back/tailbone and that helped. That time is a blur to me. I was really wondering if we were going to make it on the 4th. My MW made a joke about how I'd called this baby Firecracker the whole pregnancy, so it was only fitting that he come during the fireworks. Very prophetic statement, it turned out. I was having a really hard time remembering my focus then, and was making far more noise than I meant to. The kids were upstairs and periodically would appear at the top of the stairs peeking down at me. I kept sending them back down the hall and promising that I would call them when we had the baby. I also kept apologizing to David and the MW for losing control. I started trying to push but didn't feel like anything was happening, so my MW checked me to see if there was a "lip" of cervix (which I had with Elliot) Turns out I was still really thick although fully dialated. That actually made me feel better and I was able to regain a bit of focus. Then it really was time to push, I didn't have a choice, and I started pushing, and it was quite different than anything I've felt before. My other babies just kind of popped out, so this pushing thing was pretty intense. I even felt the famed "ring of fire". It took a couple of really hard pushes, and his head was out, and that was also a weird new sensation. I was sure he was stuck and was yelling @ my MW to get him out b/c he was stuck. She just calmly told me he wasn't stuck and I just needed to wait for the next ctx and push him out. I managed to do that, and he popped out. The kids were back at the top of the steps, so I called them down so they could see their new brother and we told them his name. My MW reminded me that we hadn't even gotten the placenta out yet, so the kids only stayed long enough to peek at him, then we sent them to bed. I handed Elijah off to David and my MW helped me stand up and deliver the placenta. I had her weigh him before he nursed so I could have an exact weight, then we settled into bed together to snuggle and nurse while my MW did her paperwork and cleaned up a bit. After that she came in to do the newborn exam.

Elijah Jon was born during the fireworks (we could hear them outside in between my yelling) @ 9:50 PM. He was 8 lbs, 7 oz, and 21.25" long. He's got a nice big head, and came out "military presentation" which means he came out flat headed instead of tilting his head. I ended up with a slight prolapse, but it was easily resolved and I've had no further issues from it.

David wrote this song spoof about the birth:
(to the tune of Kaw-Lija)
Quote:
Elijah was a big old baby, didn't want to go nowhere
in the womb he wanted to stay there with all his hair
Elijah, too stubborn to drop down into place
He'd wait a while to see his mother's face

Elijah was a stubborn baby not wanting to come out
All the rest had come out fast and momma began to doubt
Elijah, the water's gone but still you just won't show
Your momma wants to hold you don't you know

Elijah held his head up high he would not bend his neck
His momma yelled and then she screamed but he did not relent
Elijah, almost here and causing such a stir
Your big old head you would not bend or turn

Baby Elijah firecracker was his name
Baby Elijah he's here, he finally came
Is it any wonder his momma's face turned red?
Elijah, you've got a big old head.

The kids are all very much in love, and Aria Gail thinks we had him just for her. He is her baby and my baby and no one elses. "He wants me" is what we hear all day long. I was amazed b/c they only got to see him for a minute or two before bed, and the next morning as I could hear Aria Gail coming down the stairs I asked her if she was coming to see Baby Firecracker. She was quite emphatic in her reply. "No! I come see Baby 'Lijah!" It's been all Baby 'Lijah, all the time ever since. <3
July 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Congratulations! What a great story. Aria Gail sounds darling, and like she has excellent mothering instincts. I LOVE Elijah's outfit, and I love your husband's song. Congratulations again!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
What an amazing birth story Sacha! I could not believe it when you told me he was on his way since you had been calling him firecracker since day 1 and your due date was the 4th!
July 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Veteran
I love the song!

July 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
Sacha that sounds like such an awesome birth...despite the rough pushing!!! I think its so awesome you had a home birth! ( I am jealous and wish I could ) Aria seems like she is quite the little mommy!! Congrats, he is absolutely adorable!!!!

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search