Log In Sign Up

Caleb's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
MissImpatientlyWaiting's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 828
I began having contractions at 10:30 Monday night July 4th. They were coming every 10 minutes without fail. They were uncomfortable but bearable. I knew this was it, I packed my bag and got some things ready. At 4:30 am I called my mom to come over. The contractions were a bit stronger but mostly I didn't want to be by myself any longer. She came over and we decided to get in the hot tub for a while and to go ahead and call my grandmother because she lives 45 min away and we knew she would take the time to fix her hair before she came lol.
The hot tub is on summer mode so the heater was actually turned off. It was dark outside still and the water felt great. I labored in the tub for about an hour and a half. My grandmother arrived and by then the contractions were stronger and about 3 min apart. I called my midwife and she said she was on her way. I went in and took a shower and washed my hair, then we waited on Becky (my mw) to arrive.
Once Becky got there around 8 am she checked me and I was only at a 1! A ONE after being in labor for over ten hours! My contractions just weren't effective. We decided to get in the tub again and see if it would help to relax. I was in the tub for an hour or more and it did help keep me relaxed but the contractions were getting really uncomfortable, slightly painful. I was having to breathe through them. After a while Becky wanted me to get out of the tub so she could check me. We headed in the house and she checked me I had made NO progress! Still a one no change and very high! I was in agony because I was sooo freaking tired! I hadnít slept since the night before and had endured contractions for over 11 hours! Becky called her supervising doctor and had her call in a prescription for some meds that would help take the edge off and hopefully help me to get a little sleep. I wasnít thrilled about this idea but I was so frustrated! Becky left to run to the drugstore and my mom and grandmother stayed with me. My mom lives next to me and I was in her house waiting for Becky since I had went over there to use her hottub. I was sitting on her couch with towels under me thankfully because all of a sudden my water broke. It was a sudden warm gush down my legs. I stood up and it was still running out so I kept a towel with me and I wanted to sit on the toilet till it stopped running out. The second I got on the toilet a crippling contraction hit me. It HURT my water breaking had put me in hard painful labor. Moma called Beckyís cell and told her to get back so we could go to the hospital, and she called Travis to come to the house to follow us. (We were still separated and he didnít know which hospital I was delivering at)
They both headed to the house, meanwhile I was on all fours in the bathroom. I was still leaking water and I lost my mucous plug cause I saw it in the towel. The contractions were about 1-2 min apart and intense! I was in major pain and moaning. I wanted an epidural - forget natural labor I was too tired!
Becky arrived and we got in the car - Travis wasnít there yet but I didnít care I said he would pass us on the road and he could turn around and follow. Sure enough he pulled in the driveway about 30 seconds after we pulled out of it and he turned around and followed us. I was in the backseat on a comforter with plastic under it to protect momís seat because I was still leaking fluid. I had to stay on all fours because I was having back labor and sitting back killed me. I stayed on all fours moaning and crying having contractions every 1-2 minutes the entire HOUR and a HALF RIDE to the hospital. It was the longest ride of my life. We got to the hospital and Travis immediately came over and opened the back door and tried to get me to get out but I was in the middle of a contraction and just wanted him to stop touching me and get away. My mom and grandma got our stuff out of the car and after my contraction stopped I got out and we headed into the hospital. A contraction hit about halfway across the parking lot and I about pulled Travisí arm off! We got in and I was immediately sat in a wheelchair and taken up to labor and delivery. At this point it was 1:30 on the 5th.
They put me in a bed! Ugh! That immediately made my contractions more painful and I am a very vocal person. I wasnít screaming but I was moaning quite loudly. I was squeezing Travis hand with strength he didnít know I had and I was bringing tears to his eyes. (men are wimps lol) The nurse kept saying itís ok honey donít be scared. I finally looked at her and said I am not scared one bit I am in pain! If they would have let me get off my back it would have helped but they were getting my IV in and checking me. I wanted an epidural so I didnít argue with the IV. They gave me Fentynol to take the edge off. They said it was fast acting but didnít last long so it wouldnít make me druggy for the delivery just help till I got my epi. That stuff was great! When they checked me I found out I was at a 4! I had went from a 1 to a 4 in an hour and a half! Even thought things were moving faster I still wanted the epi because I was so tired!
Finally the anesthesiologist came in and I got my epidural. He had to stab me three times because I have a very slight curve to my spine and he was having trouble getting me numb on both sides. He finally placed it and said in a few min the most irritating thing I would feel was the blood pressure cuff on my arm!
After the epidural took effect I was much better. I was able to relax and take it easy. I could still tell when I was having a contraction because I could feel the tightening across my tummy but it didnít hurt.
Once I had the epidural my labor slowed drastically. I was checked throughout the day and was making progress but it was slow. The hard part was that once I got the epi I was not allowed anything but clear liquids and I had not eaten anything since the day before.
(Becky had recently changed practices which is why I was going to a hospital so far away. Unfortunately she didnít have her hospital privileges yet so I knew her supervising doctor was going to deliver Caleb and she was there basically as a doula. I really like the doctor though so it was ok with me.)
So at 1030 pm my doctor came in. She checked me and I was at an 8 and 100%. I had been stalled at an 8 for over an hour so she suggested some pitocin. Since I had the epidural I was ok with it. So she gave me .2 of pitocin and said she would check me again soon.
I wanted Caleb to be born on the 5th. The 6th was the one day of July I did not want him to arrive on because it is my FILís birthday. He is the type of person who for the rest of Calebís life would be sure to point out that it was HIS birthday too. I mean at 47 they still have birthday parties for him.
At 11:30 the nurse finally came in to check me. I was soooo irritated at this point because I knew how long it usually takes to push out a first baby and it would be the sixth in 30 minutes. I was preparing myself for Caleb to be here on the sixth.
The nurse said I was complete and they started dropping and prepping the bed. My epidural was also wearing off but they didnít want to increase it because they said it would make my pushes less effective if I was too numb. At 11:45 my doctor had me start pushing. I had Becky on one side and Moma, Nanny and Travis on the other. Travis was holding my hand. I looked at the clock on the wall behind the doctor and said I want him here on the 5th I have 15 minutes. She looked at me and said THEN PUSH! I gave it everything I had and Caleb Alexander entered the world 12 minutes later at 11:57 pm! Three minutes to spare. They put him on my chest and I immediately began to cry. I looked up at Travis and he was crying too. The doctor waited till the cord stopped pulsing and then Travis cut it. Caleb stayed on my chest while she delivered the placenta and stitched me up. I had a second degree tear, mainly because I pushed him out so quickly she didnít have time to massage with oil like she had planned, but I didnít care. I got my healthy baby on July 5th!

On a side note: Travis has been wonderful since Caleb arrived. He has truly stepped up and is doing everything he can for Caleb and I. We are working on a reconciliation. He stayed with me during my hospital stay and changed every diaper. He went to the nursery and helped the nurses give him his first bath.
Since we have been home he has came by at least every other day to see us and even did some grocery shopping for me a few days ago. He has a good full time job now and he really wants me to move to where is is staying and quit my job to stay home with Caleb. Being a stay at home mom is what I have always wanted and he knows it. I really hope everything works out!
Ask me about MILK THREADS MATERNITY! - beautiful delivery gowns, nursing covers and more!
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle area, Washington
Posts: 9,756
Congratulations! What a great story. I'm sorry things took so long, but glad everything turned out okay in the end!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
Reply With Quote
July 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 612
Great story! A lot was similar to mine, except my baby wouldn't move that easily with my pushes, and so now he's stuck with a birthday the same as my MIL's (and she will always be telling ppl that they share a birthday). I'm glad Caleb was born before midnight . Congratulations and I'm glad things are working out for your family.
Mommy to Lucius (3) and August (2)
Reply With Quote
July 18th, 2011, 01:32 AM
ppeacocks's Avatar Traci
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: new jersey
Posts: 1,132
great story with a so far happy ending!!! sorry for so much pain until epi, but caleb makes it all worth it
wife to tim,
mom to
trevor (8)
taryn (4)
travis august 4th
Reply With Quote
July 18th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,883
Such a great story! And what awesome motivation to push, Haha. I sure hope everything works out!

Reply With Quote
July 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Mischief Managed's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 831
Send a message via MSN to Mischief Managed
What an amazing birth story Sarah! Even though you labored for many many long hours you still were able to do such a great job! So glad that Caleb was nice and healthy and born on the day you wanted him to be!
Thank you *kiliki* for the cute siggy

Reply With Quote
July 20th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 8,006
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
great story! Glad he was here before midnight! Good luck with Travis, new babies can make things tough as it is so be sure your on the same page so you dont get hurt!!!

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0