Lane's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Summerthyme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I decided to schedule an induction on Lane’s due date of July 11. I did not sleep much the night before the scheduled induction because I was just soooo excited! I woke up at 5am and we arrived at the hospital at 6am. It was so stress free because the car was already packed and my mom was here to watch DS#1 (Mason). When we arrived at the hospital they had my L&D room ready. At about 7am the nurse checked me and said I was 5-6cm dilated. I had not had any contractions leading up to the 5-6cm so I was ecstatic. Around 8am the anesthesiologist gave me my epidural and the nurse started the pitocin. My OB came in at about 9:00am and broke my water and said I was about 7-8cm. After pushing for 2 hours with DS#1 I decided that I wanted to wait to push this time around until after baby had time to descend on his own. My OB also had office hours until noon so she wanted me to wait until then unless it was impossible. My OB showed up around noon and when she went to do a cervical check was surprised to see that his head was right there. She started to get her delivery gear on and I was putting my legs in the stirrup. The nurse asked me to try one small practice push and literally before I even started pushing (I was just starting to curl my body forward) she said “stop, stop, stop.” My OB literally threw on the rest of her gear faster than fast because his head was half out. After another half push Lane Thomas was born at 12:12pm. I did not tear at all and was in shock at how easy and painless the process was. After DS#1’s delivery I had a hematoma and emergency surgery and it was the most painful and difficult recovery! I could barely stand, walk, sit, and/or care for DS#1 for about 4 weeks. I just couldn’t believe how I felt after delivery this time around. The most pain I felt was a sore back from the epidural for about 24 hours after delivery…which was equally as painful as the DTAP shot that DH and I received…I can’t complain!

I really wanted to breastfeed DS#1 and honestly did my best. He was severely tongue tied (which was not discovered until he was 9 months old) and with my painful recovery it was just painful and frustrating for the both of us. I was engorged the entire time (because he had an inefficient latch and suck) and my nipples were constantly bloody and cracked (also due to his latch). I thought I was a failure. Now, after Lane, I finally have forgiven myself. I now understand what breastfeeding is supposed to be like and how wonderful it is for mother and child! Lane loves to breastfeed and HATES a bottle. My nipples are sore but are toughing up and healing after less than a week. I was only engorged for about 24 hours and it is now gone. I am loving every second of breastfeeding this little guy and it has made me realize that breastfeeding was just not in the cards for me and DS#1.

We got to leave the hospital the next day (Tuesday) at 4pm. My mom is here to help with DS#1 and I have had a small about of “baby blues” which have nothing to do with the baby. I feel guilty about having to share my time between the baby and DS#1, I feel guilty that I don’t want the dogs in the house because it is just too much for me, and I don’t want to put the baby down. Other than that I am feeling great! I never thought I could love something so much! After what I went through after DS#1 was born this is just a dream! I know things are going to be difficult after my mom leaves next week…I will have to put the baby down more which I know will be rough. I am so thankful for her help though and this special time that I am able to spend with Lane before I have to split my time between the two kids needs. Being a mom the second time around is just as fulfilling and wonderful as the first time around. Instead of feeling like I am sharing my love for one child I feel like my love has doubled! It is such an amazing feeling!

I hate to brag and know it can change at any time with an infant but Lane is “sleeping through the night.” He wakes up for two feedings and then goes back to sleep. He takes one or two long naps during the day and cat naps quite a bit. He nurses a lot during the day but I love every second of it. He is just such a happy baby and I can’t say enough good things about him. This is sooooo different than my experience at motherhood the first around!
July 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Super Mommy
Congratulations! I'm glad that pushing went that fast for you and that you're having such a wonderful experience this time around.

July 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
Congrats Summer! Soo glad you had a much better time with Lane!!! Dont get too anxious about your mom leaving, you'll fall into a routine and do great!! Glad your recovery is going soo well!!!

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search