Parker's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
On Tuesday, July 19th, I was scheduled to go in to the hospital for an NST and to turn in my 24 hour urine test because they were concerned about Pre Eclampsia. I got to the hospital at 10:30, and they started the test. During my test, they noticed that Parker's heart rate was dropping after some contractions and staying low for about 3 minutes, so they sent me for a biophysical ultra sound. During the ultrasound, everything was great, and they told me Parker was 7 lbs 8 oz. and had a big tummy and chubby legs! So, I was thinking, ok, everything is fine, they are going to send me home. Well, when I got back up to L&D, they hooked me back up to the machines to test me again (it is now about 2:30pm). Eventually my doctor comes in, and tells me that first of all, my blood pressure was high, the protein in my urine was over 900 (they get concerned when it is over 300) and that Parker's heart rate was still dropping, so she can't let me go home. So, I thought that maybe they would just admit me to the hospital and not actually induce me. Well, she asked me the last time I ate, and I told her 8:30 that morning (it was now 3:30, I was STARVING!) so, she told me that she was going to get me something to eat, we would wait for an hour or so, and then she was going to put Cyotec in my cervix to ripen it. She said to me, "I want you to be prepared, because this is going to be a very, VERY, long, haul" Ugh, So not what I wanted to hear! So, I called DH so he could come from work, good thing I packed my bags and they were in my car! They brought me "dinner" which was broth, jello, and pudding, and then moved me into my laboring room.

At about 4:45 they inserted the cyotec, and she said that the overnight doctor may give me another one sometime during the night, and then they would start Pitocin in the morning. Well, that ended up being the scariest night of my life. I was having contractions, and at one point at about 10:30 Tuesday night all of a sudden, 5 nurses came running in my room and had me moving around and monitors were going off and they were sticking oxygen on me and everything else. From then on the rest of the night, I had to lay in one position and not move because every time I did, Parkers heart rate dropped dangerously low. I also had to keep the oxygen on the rest of the time. It was so scary, and I was in so much pain especially because I had to lay on my really bad hip and it felt like it was breaking, but I couldn't move. The overnight nurse told me to be prepared for a C-section because there was no way he was going to be able to go through the drama of labor. At that point, I almost wanted them to just take me then to do it because I was so scared of them having to do an emergency C-section and then DH wouldn't be allowed in the room.

We finally made it to 7 AM when my doctor came in (my favorite one from the practice, so I was SO happy) and she said we are going to try to get through this, but to just be prepared. She broke my water, and we were going to see how he handled that, and he did great, so she came back and started the Pitocin at 7:30. We actually started the epidural at the same time because one, I was having pretty bad contractions (i was about 3-4 cm) and also incase they had to rush me into the c-section, at least we wouldnt have to worry about rushing that too. He actually behaved most of the day, heart rate dropped a few times, but it wasn't too bad. At 1:00 they had to start me on Magnesium because of the Pre- E and that is an AWFUL drug! At about 1:30 or so, I started to feel contractions "down there" and they told me that was good because those are what I need to feel to push. The doctor came in about a half hour later and I told her that, so she checked me and I was 7 cm. She was very happy that I progressed so fast! She came back in at about 3:00 and I was in pain pretty good at that time, and she told me I was at 9! I couldn't believe that I had gone so fast, and it was almost time! So, they sat me up in the "throne" position, they call it to let gravity do it's job, and she told me when I felt a lot of pressure in my bottom, that it was time to push. Well, I felt that immediately and was just waiting for the nurse to set up the room! FINALLY she was done, and I said, I'm DEFINITELY ready! She checked me, I was 10, and I started pushing at about 3:30.

Of course, as soon as I started pushing, Parker's heart rate went way down, so they had me lay on my left side and push that way. Well, that only lasted about 5 minutes and it went DANGEROUSLY low, I was so afraid they were going to rush me into a C-section, but my doctor looked at me, and told me to get on my back and said, We are going to do this, right here!! She said, I'm going to help this baby out, and got the suction. She told me just to push as hard as I possibly could, so I did! And he was born at 3:49 pm!!! Doctor and I were both so happy that we did it without a c-section! I felt bad because DH didn't get to cut the cord (he had meconium in the placenta so they had to rush him to the table to get that out.)

I was so happy that it was all over and he was safe and sound! I couldn't believe when they called out his weight 6 pounds, 5 ounces! I said, "WHAT???" They were SOO far off at each ultrasound! We thought we were having a big, plump baby, and he's SO tiny!! But he is just perfect! And has red hair, and his daddy's dimples!

Unfortunately, I had to stay on the Magnesium for 24 hours after delivery. It was so awful! I couldn't even keep my eyes focused, my skin was on fire, but I kept shaking because I was cold. FINALLY on Thursday at 4:00 they took the magnesium off and I felt immediately better! I couldnt get out of bed until 9:00 Thursday night, DH was WONDERFUL because he had to do everything with Parker that entire time! They didn't even let me shower until FRIDAY afternoon! AGH! It was awful! BUT we came home Friday evening, and we are SO happy to have our son here, and are having a blast getting to know him!

Thank you for reading all of this, and being a part of this journey with me!

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!
July 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
His weight is exactly what James' weighed!
July 24th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm sorry about the heart rate stress, Patrick did that to me too. >_< Glad he's here safe and sound though! Congrats!

July 25th, 2011, 04:56 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww sweetheart i'm so sorry that you went through this. I'm very very happy Parker and you are well. He is an angel. And you are such a strong woman for going through that!!! Congrats again mommy!!

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
July 25th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you had such a scary night. Parker weighs the same DS did at birth. I'm so happy everything worked out and you're both fine.
July 25th, 2011, 06:17 AM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everything is out of our control at that point, so I would have been so scared too! You did a great job though!

I can't believe how quick he came after you got to 10cm! Way to go FTM!

I'm so glad both Parker and you are home and well.

July 25th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww congrats again on your baby boy! Did u tear or have an episiotomy at all with using the vacuum?
July 25th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great job Michelle! It was a long haul, but I know he is so worth it! Congrats again on your sweet baby boy!
July 25th, 2011, 08:13 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Congratulations!! Sounds like it was scary for a while, but it also sounds like you did a great job! Enjoy your new baby!!!
July 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Veteran
Congratulations!! So happy you both are well!

July 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran
Congrats, glad to hear your both doing well!

July 25th, 2011, 02:38 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
How scarey, what an awful time you had. So glad to hear that you and baby are doing well!
July 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponClipper View Post
Aww congrats again on your baby boy! Did u tear or have an episiotomy at all with using the vacuum?
Yes, I tore, second degree, and 3 packs of stitches (have no idea how many that is, and don't really want to, haha) but, I can't say that I wouldn't have torn even if she didn't have to use it. At that point, I was glad that she did, and I didn't feel anything, although I wouldn't have known the difference since I don't know what it would feel like without that.

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!
July 25th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mico View Post
Yes, I tore, second degree, and 3 packs of stitches (have no idea how many that is, and don't really want to, haha) but, I can't say that I wouldn't have torn even if she didn't have to use it. At that point, I was glad that she did, and I didn't feel anything, although I wouldn't have known the difference since I don't know what it would feel like without that.
They had to use the vacuum to help deliver Cora, and I, too, got a 2nd degree tear. I only had a "superficial" tear with Erin and Patrick, so it's possible that you wouldn't have...but when you get to that point, you've got to do what you've got to do.

July 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats Michelle. I'm sorry it was such an "eventful" labor, but all that matters is that both you and Parker came out of it happy and healthy. I'm sending you speedy recovery vibes, and all the best that new motherhood can bring!!

Thank you Kiliki for my new siggy - I it!!

July 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! Glad you were able to avoid the c-section and that baby Parker is here safe and sound

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
July 25th, 2011, 09:17 PM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
Thanks for sharing! Congratulations!
July 26th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations on the birth of Parker!! We are all so Happy for you and Doug!!! It stinks that it was such a scary experience between all of the BP drops and the thoughts of c-section but I am so glad that it all worked out and that he is here safe and sound!!! Congrats!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
July 26th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Kim
Congratulations!! Sounds like a long, scary night, but I"m so glad that you and Parker are doing so well!

July 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow!! Congrats. It does sound like one hell of a night, but I am so happy for you and your husband. I saw the pictures of Parker and he is so handsome!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search