Samuel Harrison's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
Please bear with me - this is long but I did my best to break it up into easy to read paragraphs. I made it detailed so I could keep it for his baby book. Thanks ahead of time for reading it if you do! Pics at the end of the birth story Also, please forgive any spelling/grammar errors. I'm tired lol

Sam's story really starts in the middle of June when I started having contractions every 10-15 minutes. They weren't overly strong, but they were consistent and they were definitely there. This went on for the next three weeks. At times the contractions would get strong and closer together, but they never seemed to stick around for very long. I was able to fall asleep at night and they'd stop once I relaxed.

At one point I started to bleed and ended up in labor and delivery and was told the bleeding was from being checked at my previous appointment. I was dilated to 2 but had been since 35 weeks. I was sent home and the bleeding did stop.

On the fourth of July I ended up in so much pelvic and back pain that I couldn't walk. I did some research and discovered that it was PGP. I spent the next week dealing with that pain on and off as well as increasingly painful contractions.

Fast forward to Monday, July 11. I started having more painful contractions that were anywhere from 2-5 minutes apart. This started around 9pm and by midnight they were getting even more intense, so I called my ob and they said to go into labor and delivery. We had to wait for Chris's parents to get here so we didn't get to the hospital until around 2am Tuesday, July 12.

I was 3cm and contracting regularly so they had me walk the halls for awhile. Contractions continued to come, some of them getting really painful, but when they checked me again I was still thick and 3cm. At this point I was starting to get really nauseous. I also hadn't slept in 24 hours so I was pretty loopy. They gave me a shot of Phenargan and sent me home to rest with orders to come back if my contractions started to intensify. We got home around 7:30am and I tried to sleep for a bit.

I wasn’t able to sleep well because I was still really nauseous and eventually ended up with chest pain, back pain, vomiting, and extreme fatigue – not to mention that my body was still doing that lovely pre-delivery clean out. I was in tears. I literally felt like I was going to keel over dead at any moment. Chris is typically a “walk it off” kind of person, so when he made me go back to the hospital I knew I was pretty sick.
I got back to the hospital around noon and was still having back-to-back contractions and they were getting pretty intense again, so they got me right back to a room where they monitored me again. This time Chris called my sister and she came out. I was in a lot of pain but not progressing at all, so they gave me an IV of meds for my nausea and some Stadol to help relax me and help with pain. Let me tell you, that stuff is wicked! I was hallucinating pretty bad on it – I was convinced that Chris was wearing a hot dog costume and that my sister’s purse was a scarecrow. Yikes.

Dr. Van Slooten (my ob) came to see me during his break and we made plans to do an induction the next day, Wednesday, July 13. They would keep me overnight and give me my GBS meds and would start the induction any time after midnight depending on when my meds were started and how well I was resting. He came to check on me a couple more times before his shift ended. He is such a great ob!

They got me into a better room for the night, one set up for deliveries just in case. They gave me some Ambien to sleep and started my meds. I slept pretty well aside from being woke up randomly for my fluid IV to be changed and vitals being checked. I woke up around 5:30 when they came in to tell me that they would start the induction around 7. I texted my sister and she said they (she and my mom – yes, she ended up being there) would be to the hospital around 10.

I was still having contractions but at the beginning of the induction, when they gave me the Pitocin, I was still only at a 3. The contractions weren’t really doing a whole lot and I wasn’t having to breathe through any for quite awhile, though they did gradually start getting more painful so I put myself “in the zone” and kinda just dozed and ignored everyone in the room. They checked me around noon and I was at 4, so I asked for my epidural and I got it pretty quickly. I was really nervous about getting it because I had a bad experience when I got my epidural with Natalie. They knew I was really anxious about it, so they tried really hard to be really careful and even gave me extra numbing stuff. It went really well and took effect pretty quickly.

I sat at 4 for quite awhile despite having strong contractions. I was getting nervous that I wouldn’t progress anymore and I’d end up with a c/s. Around 4pm they checked me again and I was at a 5! Hurray, more progress! Pretty quickly after that I felt a ton of pressure down yonder and felt like I was stretching in half because I could still feel a bit down there. Erika (my sister) asked if I wanted to be checked and I told her yes, and to hurry. The nurse came in right away (by the way, my nurse looked so much like Mary Murphy from SYTYCD and even sounded like her, so I asked her to say Hot Tamale Train and she looked at me like I was insane). She checked me and I was at a 9. Literally not even a minute later I felt the urge to push and she checked me again and I was complete – so I went from 5 to complete in about 30 minutes.

I was ready to push so the nurse had me do a few practice pushes while we waited for Dr. Van Slooten. Unfortunately, he was stuck with two of us both ready to deliver at any minute – but I had an epidural and the other woman did not, so he was trying to deliver her, so after my practice pushes they wanted to me stop pushing and hold him in. So I focused on not pushing though it felt like he was going to slide right out of me. A few minutes later Dr. Van Slooten came back and said if I could deliver quickly he’d deliver me first, so I went back to pushing for a few minutes with no success. He asked me to hold him in for a little bit longer and he went back next door to the other lady.

The on-call doctor came in just in case and it was a good thing she did because Sam’s heart rate was dropping, so they wanted me to push...again. So I pushed. And I pushed. And I pushed. Finally he was born at 4:53pm on Wednesday, July 13, 2011. They placed him on my chest and I stared at him and how perfect he was. He came out so clean and had such a perfectly round head and his color was already great. I’m not sure of his apgars. After a few minutes that’s when they told me he was posterior and that I had tore pretty bad – though how bad I’m not sure. Dr. Van Slooten came back after the other lady delivered and he stitched me up and it took nearly an hour for that to be done.

Samuel Harrison weighed 7lbs 9oz and was 18” long. He was also born with Hypospadias and a natural circ, so the issue of whether or not we should circ him wasn’t an issue. He only has foreskin on top and we have to leave that so they can use the skin for the surgery he will have in a few months. So, here we go again. He’s never been a great latcher for breastfeeding, but with a nipple shield we are now going strong! He sleeps a lot during the morning, is awake but content a lot in the afternoon, and has his set cranky time around dinner time every evening. He wakes up every 2-3 hours at night to eat, occasionally will do a 4 hour stretch and some nights he’s up every hour. He’s unpredictable and just as stubborn and wiggly on the outside as he was on the inside! He is a joy and when I’m not holding him I feel lonely. I am so glad that we were surprised last fall with that BFP!

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
July 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, his color WAS great! He looks like a doll!

10 weeks

July 27th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He's such a cutie! Ya know...we've had opposites every time. Timmy & Lucy, Nat & Ollie, Sam & Poppy.

July 28th, 2011, 08:25 AM
lol you're right kelsie! it's the same with me and (the) jen - izzie & timmy, nik & nat, charlotte & sam!

July 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Great story Liza! And, I've never seen a pic of your hubby until now, and wow Natalie looks just like him!!!
August 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
thank you terra - nat looks just like chris and not many other people see that LOL!! timmy really looks much more like me but everyone thinks he looks just like chris and i just don't see it LOL!

January 19th, 2012, 11:35 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
he's so adorable. congratulations!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

April 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
so cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search