Our baby arrives

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had our section planned for July 25, it was booked for noon and we were told to go in at 11 for pre-op. Nothing out of the ordinary there. My OB had been trying to bump my surgery up but without success, so we had my parents pick up the girls Sunday afternoon, enjoyed a quiet night at home just the two of us, and in the morning we paced around the house both a little nervous until it was time to go.

When we got to the hospital we found out they were waiting for us and had actually called our house, we were supposed to be there at 10 instead of 11 and they had wanted to start the section early! Ooopps, we had been told by my OB's nurse at our appt on the Thrusday before to be there for 11! The doctors and nurses had a good laugh when we told them why we were there at 11 instead of 10 and we got things underway.

Have I ever mentioned my extreme fear of needles? I don't have great veins to start with and combine that with my fear, its very hard to get get IVs started and blood work done. It also took a couple of tries to get the spinal in and right. I was not a happy person by this point and was already crying before surgery even began. When we finally got through all that my DH was allowed in to the OR and the section started.

It started pretty normal but didn't continue as planned. Andrew was stuck and it took 2 residents pushing down on the top of my belly plus my OB pulling with forceps to get him out. He has some bruising from the forceps and I have some bruising from the amount of pushing that had to be done. He arrived into this world at 1:09.

Also my OB found that my uterus had fused to my bladder during the pregnancy. And they had to be separated in order to get him out, and simply because they couldn't be left fused. In the process of trying to get the two separated my bladder tore, leaving a 3" hole in my bladder. It made for a very dramatic change in the atmosphere of the OR, suddenly extra surgens were being called in, people were being paged to my OR, and we went from having my OB, 2 residents, 1 anistigologist (sp) and her resident to about 12 people. While waiting for all the people who were paged my OB came around the drape to me and told me that I was being "suspended" until back up came and started to explain what happened. All I could do at that point was hold my DH's hand and try not to cry. My half hour long surgery turned into a 2.5 hour surgery.

All said and done, I spent a couple extra days in the hospital, and my recovery will now be longer. The original plan was for me to come home Tuesday evening, well I got home today around noon. I'll be wearing a catheter until at least next Wednesday when I have to go back to the hospital and have some tests done and see if my bladder has healed enough to hold liquid again and I have home nurses coming to see me until that happens.

Needless to say, I'm in more pain than I was expecting and it's proving harder to be up and moving around than it was with my previous sections.

On a positive note, Andrew is perfect. He's an awesome baby, weighing in at 7lbs, 13oz (7lbs, 6oz when we left the hospital) and 21.5" long, he's nursing well which is a pleasant surprise, he gave me 3 hours of sleep last night which was greatly appreciated, and he's just so cute and huggable that he makes everything else worthwhile. He's also the largest of my 3 babies and had no complications that required care at the hospital so he got to stay in my room with me the entire time.

So that's my horror story in a nutshell. Anyone having a section for the first time please note these are rare complications, definately not the norm, and for me much of it was caused by it being my 3rd section and the amount of scar tissue my body produced from my first 2.

July 28th, 2011, 07:33 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry to hear your surgery had complications But that is good that you are home and and enjoying your baby boy! Congratulations!!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
July 28th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad u are are home and healing. Wow, u have a story for Andrew when he gets older. Congrats on your new baby boy.

July 29th, 2011, 03:46 AM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Im so sorry, that had to be so scary!!! Thats a lot to go through! Im glad everything is great with baby Andrew. Congrats!

[/url
July 29th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry to hear about your complications. I hope the rest of your recovery is easy. How wonderful that Andrew is doing so well! Congrats!
July 29th, 2011, 06:59 AM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
Congratulations on your baby boy, Andrew! Sorry about the complications and hope you recover soon and be up and about soon!!
July 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Crunchymommy's Avatar Mama of 3 beautiful girls
Send a message via AIM to Crunchymommy Send a message via MSN to Crunchymommy Send a message via Yahoo to Crunchymommy
Sorry to hear about your complications, congrats.

Thanks to *Sharon* for my beautiful siggy

July 31st, 2011, 03:41 PM
Kim
I'm so glad to hear little Andrew is doing well!! So sorry about all the complications, though I hope that you're able to heal quickly.

July 31st, 2011, 04:23 PM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
I'm sorry about your complications; glad you are home! Congrats!

\
July 31st, 2011, 04:28 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Congratulations on your little boy!

So sorry that things turn a turn for he worse and got worse. I hope your body is able to mend itself quickly and you can focus more on your little boy instead of your pain. *HUGS*
August 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. I'm looking forward to Wednesday, I'm hoping to hear some good news. It's been a long frustrating week and I'm looking forward to it all being over.

On a side note, my DH has taken a leave from work to look after me for 8 weeks while I fully recover. We are going to drive each other crazy by the end of 8 weeks!!

August 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats, Andrew is just wonderful. Continued wishes of healing to you over the coming weeks!
January 19th, 2012, 02:51 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
aw, i'm sorry your surgery didn't go as planned! glad you're okay, and congrats on your little boy.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search