Log In Sign Up

Brynlee's arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,137
Okay ladies, I promised I'd get around to writing out Brynlee's birth story. Just to warn you: There are the good AND bad details here so if you scare easily then you may not want to read until after your own labor and delivery! You've been warned, LOL.

I had my OB appointment at 1pm on Tuesday, July 26th and was dilated to 1cm and 70% effaced. My doctor had set it up where I would go to the hospital at 5pm that evening for cervical ripening via Cervidil if I was not dilated “enough” on my own. So I went in at 5pm. They started me on the Cervidil pretty quickly at about 6:10pm. I was told that I could eat and get up to go to the restroom after an hour. Of course, nurse shift change is at 7pm and the new nurses told me that No, I could get up and go to the restroom/eat after TWO hours. By that point, I really had to use the restroom and we had just ordered dinner from the cafeteria. Luckily, the nurse went ahead and let me eat dinner, but said I couldn't get up to potty. She asked me if I wanted to use a bed pan! I couldn't “go” because Joey was in the room and as soon as he walked towards the door, I started peeing, LOL. We didn't stay up too late, but there was a lot of monitoring going on so it was hard to sleep.

The nurses came in at 4:30am to wake us up and start what they needed. The Cervidil really didn't do much as far as helping me dilate or efface much. I was still at 1cm and went up to 80% effaced. I started Pitocin at 5:20am. My contractions were pretty horrendous, but little did I know that they would only get worse and worse as they upped my Pitocin dosage every 30 minutes. At about 8 or 8:30am, my OB came in and broke my water to help speed things along. I do have to say that that was definitely a weird feeling, but it wasn't painful or a bad experience.

I was in the worse pain of my life after they broke my water. The contractions were horrendous and I felt terribly sick. They gave me a pain medicine that you can have once an hour. It's really strong, but doesn't last long. I got INCREDIBLY emotional after the first dosage and was in tears. I was telling Joey that I don't think I can do this and I feel like I'm dying. He kept telling me that we were “almost done” and that I'll forget it all when I hold Brynlee.

They came in to check me at 10:30am and I had barely progressed and was now at 2cm, but she was at a +1 station. I was in tons of pain, but was doing my best to just breathe through them. My contractions felt like they were constantly coming. I had to get up to use the restroom constantly and it was so hard to move through the contractions. Joey got to the point where he would watch the monitor to know when I was having contractions because when he would speak to me during a contraction, I would close my eyes and just say, “Shhhhhh.....” and he would have to be quiet. LOL

They came back in to check me at 12pm and I was dilated to a 4. EPIDURAL TIME! Whoo Hoo! Thank God because I am not even kidding when I say I felt like I was dying between 8:30am-12pm. I was surprised that the epidural did NOT hurt. I am not going to lie, but reading some of the horror stories here on JM about Epidural experiences really made me nervous about getting it. The hardest part was sitting on the edge of the bed because my lady bits were hurting so bad from so much pressure. I had a hard time relaxing my shoulders (that's nothing new) so the nurse held my shoulders in place while the Anesthesiologist did what he needed to do. It didn't take long to kick in and Joey says that he could finally talk, LOL.

Moving on. I could still feel my abdomen tightening during contractions, but the pain was next to nothing. I got to take a nap! The nurses came in at 1pm and I was already dilated to a 7. So the epidural really helped my body to relax so that I would dilate really fast. I went back to sleep and they came in at 2pm and I was an 8. Then they came in at about 3:30pm and I was complete. They let me relax and my body work before coming back in to have me push. So it only took 3.5 hours to get from a 4 to a 10 and it was MUCH EASIER than getting to a 4. Wow.

I started pushing at 4:08pm. Joey was GREAT. He was watching the monitor for contractions and would whisper, “Are you ready babe?” and he'd have his hand behind my neck/shoulders to support me and he had one hand on my leg. He was paying more attention to the contraction monitor than the nurses were. At first, they had me gripping the handle bars on the side of the bed and I felt like I could barely even reach them. Joey's mom burst the blood vessels in hers and Joey's eyes when she was in labor and all I could think was that was going to happen to me because I was pushing so hard (or so I thought). Little did I know that I could actually push A LOT harder. After a little while, the nurses had me put my legs up in stir ups and grab my thighs. By that point, I was starting to feel my right leg again so I could really grab it and hang on, but my left leg felt like a tree trunk. The nurse had to push my leg up to me so that I could even grab it.

I pushed through A LOT of contractions and they were coming really quickly. Then they would slow down and I felt like I could catch my breath again. But every time I would push, her little head would start coming and then she would pull it back in whenever I stopped pushing. So I felt like all of my hard work wasn't getting me anywhere. I had two GREAT nurses who were very motivating. They were cheering me on. They were saying “up it a little!” and saying they couldn't wait to see her, etc. It was very, very encouraging and I had tons of motivating thoughts running through my head. At about 4:40, they called the OB. He had actually JUST called them to see if he could come up there yet because he “just knew” I was going to deliver by or around 5pm. So they let me rest while he was on his way up there. At some point, they had to give me an IV because they thought I was developing an infection. I had a fever and Brynlee's heart rate was showing signs of fetal distress. They wanted to prevent it from crossing the placenta and getting to Brynlee. I am not sure what time he got there, but I pushed through 3 contractions and had her at 5:18pm.

Just like the nurses, my OB was very motivating. Joey was, too. I had lots of people encouraging me to do my best and really push as hard as I could. My OB said, “There's her head Amanda!!” then he said, “Push!” and he hollered, “There's one shoulder!!” and then I pushed her other shoulder and I felt this overwhelming sense of...relief. I just started bawling and I felt him pull her the rest of the way out. They put her on my chest and I had tears in my eyes. I couldn't focus on anything but her. Joey was kissing me and saying, “I love you, I love you, I love you so much” and she was just lying there. I was kinda worried because she only cried a little bit so the nurse had Joey tickle her tiny feet.

I felt the OB pushing on my abdomen to deliver the placenta and I said, “Oh my gosh it's a massage! It feels so good!” and everyone was laughing. I kept holding her until my OB told me that I was bleeding way more than he would like. They had to take Brynlee away and Joey went over to where she was to watch everything they were doing. At first, I was distracted by the baby and was asking how much she weighed, etc. The nurse said she hadn't done that yet and I said, “Oh I don't know why I thought the baby came out and the nurses shouted out her weight and length!” and everyone was laughing again. Well, except my OB. I looked at him and saw this serious look on his face.

He was mashing on my abdomen to contract my uterus and I was aching. I could see blood everywhere and he started shouted to the nurses that I needed a shot. The next thing I know, I am throwing up everywhere. I hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours so it was all stomach bile and very acidic. I just kept puking and puking while he was mashing and stuffing the gauze inside of me. Then he asked the nurse when they gave me the first shot and then they gave me another. I still wouldn't stop bleeding and he told the nurses that he was going to need more of the 4x4 gauze pads. I looked over to where Joey was and he was staring at me...down there with this...look on his face. He looked terrified. His eyes were huge and I was just staring at him.

They had to cut me really, really good to get her out. I lost A LOT of blood. My OB said that women typically lose between 500-700 ccs of blood and I lost approximately 1200-1500. Luckily, I was taking my iron pills since I was told that I was slightly anemic during my pregnancy. He said that if I wouldn't have been doing that then my blood count would have been much lower and I probably would have ended up with a blood transfusion. When he was telling me all of this, I was shaking really badly. I had a fever, but was freezing cold. I couldn't focus on what he was saying and I asked Joey to make sure I heard everything correctly. He told me that they'd do my blood work in the morning and if some number was below 18 then I would need a blood transfusion, but luckily my number was 24.

As far as Brynlee, she is 100% healthy. She didn't have any infections, didn't have low blood sugar, and was a nice, chunky 8 lbs 3 oz and was 20 ¾ inches long. She has tons of dark, dark hair! She has her Daddy's nose and her Mommy's lips.

I don't know how many times I heard people say, “That's a big baby!”

Reply With Quote
August 2nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 3,194
Beautiful story. So glad everything turned out for baby and mommy!

Reply With Quote
August 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 43,573
I'm sorry about the scary bleeding episode, but I'm so glad it turned out okay!! Congratulations!
Thanks to babydoll213 for the siggy! My kids' blog Cora's blog

Reply With Quote
August 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
CND 424's Avatar First Time Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 950
Wow, what a great story!!! I'm so happy for you and your DH sounds so supportive. Sorry about the bleeding episode but luckily it all turned out OK.

Cindi (40) married to Dan (40) since 04/99
TTC 04/99-04/02; 4/00-04/02 did (2) IUI's & (4) IVF's; NTNP ever since!
BFP on 12/20/10 and our little miracle was born 8/19/11!!!

Reply With Quote
August 2nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,134
Great story! Glad Brynlee is great and u are doing much better. Glad u didn't need a transfusion! Congratulations...

Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Posts: 3,094
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Wow!! That was very well written and informative! I am also nervous about an epi, but feel better after reading your story!!

Sorry to hear about the bleeding episode, that must have been very scary for you and your husband! But congratulations on the baby
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,431
Great birth story! As many complications that arose, you still handled it all wonderfully. Congrats to you on the birth of your first daughter! Brynlee is just perfect!
Thank you claire1979 for my cute new siggy!
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,903
Congrats! You did great!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

Reply With Quote
August 4th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,598
You did great! I'm sorry about the scary bleeding after Brynlee's birth, but glad you didn't need a transfusion. Congrats!
Reply With Quote
August 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Crunchymommy's Avatar Mama of 3 beautiful girls
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,288
Send a message via AIM to Crunchymommy Send a message via MSN to Crunchymommy Send a message via Yahoo to Crunchymommy
Congrats mama! Great birth story!
Reply With Quote
August 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,231
OH My I didn't realize you had to go through all of that!!! I am glad that you are ok and that Joey didn't pass out too!!! Brynlee is beautiful!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reply With Quote
August 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,409
Congrats on your new baby. Im sorry you had such a hard time of it, it must have been pretty scary at times! But you oulled through and did an amazing job! Good for you mama!
Mom to Colton,Megan, Caitlyn, Nick, Brandon and 2 angels.
BFP Dec 2010 hcg Dec 18 13dpo 58... Dec 20 15 dpo 190.4 (28 hr doubling)

Reply With Quote
August 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM
KMQ's Avatar
KMQ KMQ is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,820
Sounds like quite the adventure. Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!

Reply With Quote
January 18th, 2012, 02:26 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations hon, she's beautiful! i'm glad things turned out okay!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0