Log In Sign Up

Andrew's Natural Child Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,088
I went into the doc on Thursday and found out that I was 80% effaced and not dilated. Which is exactly what I was 2 weeks prior. I was really bummed, I had been having a ton of false labor, once every day or 2 I would have contractions lasting an hour or 2 that were 5 minutes apart. But I could always take a nap and make them stop or get into the bath, I was taking 2 or 3 baths a day. The lack of change was a total bummer. We discussed a membrane sweep for the following week but knew that it might not even be possible if I remained closed. DH was also super stressed about going over the due date because he got a promotion and was starting the day I was due and needs to be on the road meeting clients the following week, then he was going to have a super crazy travel schedule for a while. He was really bummed that he could miss it or only be home for a day or 2 and have to leave. He had been pushing for induction on my due date which I was completely opposed to. I talked to my doula and she said this stress isn't uncommon, get out of the house and plan a date. So Friday night we went to our favorite BBQ place then out to Disney for fireworks and walked around Disney's boardwalk. Saturday we were going to go somewhere nice. On the way home from Disney I was uncomfortable with my usual contractions. I am a radio DJ so I stopped by the station and prerecorded my Saturday show, I was on 10am-3pm. By the time we got home I told DH I was going to get a bath and asked him to bring me some water (I had been really thirsty all day). My contractions stopped as usual, so I climbed in bed a laid on a heating pad since I was having some back pain too. About 1:30 or 2 we finally went to sleep. At 5, I was woken up with a contraction, except this one was different. I couldn't lay in bed I needed to pace. It lasted a long time. I grabbed my phone with my contraction timer and started timing the next one didn't come for about 12 minutes, but it lasted 2 minutes. By contraction #3 DH woke up, he said are you timing these. I said yes but I am not in labor, I am going to take a bath. The bath didn't make anything better. I kept feeling like I needed to #2 but when I sat on the potty the pressure was too much, this was different. I fought him for a while and finally I agreed to call the doula, when she picked up we told her about the contractions and the fact that they weren't meeting the 511 rule (5 mins apart, lasting 1 min, for 1 hour), but she had told me about a former client who had 2 minute contractions and delivered quickly and I had the urge to poop. I got a contraction and couldn't talk and passed off the phone to DH. She said you know what, take her to L&D! Call me on the way we will talk and figure things out. So much for me laboring at home with the doula.
We got to the hospital and I made DH leave the bags in the car since I wasn't in labor! DH left me at the door, I paced, he parked the car and we went to L&D. When I got there the nurse started asking questions about labor and progression. I told her I had been having contractions about 2 hours but the timing had been strange since they were lasting about 2 minutes, they started at 12 minutes were down to 4 mins apart. She asked the last time I had seen the OB and about my progress. Of course I answered 2 days ago 90% and closed. She didn't think I was in labor either. Good thing I didn't bring my bag.
She checked and I was 4-5 centimeters, I think she was as shocked as I was, I looked at her and said does this mean we get to have a baby today? She said ummmm yeah! This was just after 7am. DH called the doula told her it was real and hurry! The doula got there talked me through contractions, she helped me to walk and stand by the bed and rock in a rocking chair. I was allowed intermittent monitoring but quickly realized it wasn't for me. Them taking the time to take the bands on and off and touching me was bothersome and I wanted to be left alone. I also figured out that walking sucked and I didn't want to stand either. So I either rocked in a rocking chair or laid on my side in the bed. By 9:30 I was 7 centimeters. Our doc showed up did the check and said she was going to have a quick breakfast with the husband and she would be back. Within an hour my water broke mid contraction, I was so in the zone that I had forgotten it hadn't happened. It was pretty shocking, it ruptured and my husband says it made a definite pop. I was soaked and very very warm. That is when the nurse leaned over and said your contractions will get more intense, it was the only time I cursed I said a word that began with F and rolled over. They checked me I was at 8. Soon after my body took over and with each contraction it would give a little push more fluid would come out and I would feel like I was continuously peeing myself. The doula and nurse kept telling me not to push, I wasn't, my body was they were these tiny little herky jerky pushes, I had no control. They kept telling me to blow out like birthday candles. Forty five minutes after my water broke I felt it in my bottom so they checked again and told me I was complete, I said does this mean I am 10? Everyone laughed. The doc was there and ready for me to push within 10 minutes although it felt like hours, it was the toughest time particularly since I had been fighting the urge for so long. Talking to the doula she thinks I was complete within minutes of my water breaking that is why I was getting the jerky pushes. It took me an hour and 40 minutes to push him out. Pushing was so much easier than laboring. I was exhausted but between pushes we were talking about the docs husband and how she met him, the day my DH and I conceived the baby (with both mom and mil in the room) and my playlist (I created a killer ipod playlist, with everything from Lady Gaga to Wilson Phillips to Journey so we were jamming between contractions). I was pushing with a mirror, which I HIGHLY recommend. I could see that I was making progress, however slight. I could see his dark hair. And it kept me going. **for anyone who is worried about seeing their "stuff" in that condition it doesn't look like your stuff it is so swollen, and it is amazing to see what your body is capable of again HIGHLY RECOMMENDED***
We had noticed that there was some slight meconium staining when my bag of waters broke but the doc warned me that they were not going to give me the baby instead he was going to the respiratory therapist in the room. Thankfully I was prepared.
That is when things got hairy....
I delivered his head and his cord was tightly wrapped. She attempted to get it off and it didn't happen she didn't even have time to clamp. She just cut, so much for DH cutting the cord he was all ready. When she cut because it wasn't clamped blood went EVERYWHERE DH, the doula, the chair, the wall it looked like a crime scene. She then got the baby out and he was a terrible green/yellow color the fluid that came out behind him was thick and black! The meconium was MUCH worse than expected. Andrew Barnes was born at 1:33pm about 8 and a half hours after labor started. He was 38 weeks 5 days gestation and weighed 8 pounds 3 oz and that was after he pooed during the birth and on the table, thank goodness he was early! He was taken to the respiratory therapist they didn't allow him to cry and he was immediately intubated. The doc had told me I wouldn't hear my baby cry but I wasn't prepared. I know I asked several times why I could hear my baby. But I could at least see him across the room. I saw his first APGAR test when they held up his arms and they just flopped. I was also begging the Doc to deliver the placenta, I was still contracting I was still shaking HARD. It was out within about 5 minutes. My mom, my mil and DH had left to go take cell phone pics of the baby to text everyone and I hadn't even seen him except in the mirror.
DH had also planned that he would announce the sex of the baby by naming him, since we had kept names a secret and we were team green. Everyone had been preped. My mom said boy from the beginning. So the minute he came out she screamed its a boy and stole poor DHs thunder. Which was sad since that was his big moment since team green wasn't his idea.
They ended up working on him for an hour, which was about the same amount of time that it took to repair me. They tried to give him to me just before my repair was done and I couldn't hold him because I was shaking so hard and the repair was rough. I tore in 2 places and 1 was 2nd degree. They had given me a local for the repair but I was so swollen it just never got that numb. After the long repair they said do you want anything for pain? I thought that sounded like a good plan considering the long repair. The gave me morphine and phenergan, if I had that to do again I would have never agreed I was so out of it for the rest of the day, we had a ton of visitors I was trying to figure out how to breast feed and I was a mess! I made it through a natural birth surely I could have survived the pain from the stitches.
The baby seemed ok after his dramatic entrance. He spent Saturday night with us nursing like a champ and slept in my bed. Sunday his respirations got too fast and some blood work seemed off so he was sent for xrays and a NICU consult the consult turned into a night in the NICU for observation. Andrew ended up with a nasty looking IV in his scalp. The neonatologist in his infinite wisdom thought it would be a good plan to tell the less than 24 hour postpartum woman worst case scenario. Which was if he didn't get respiratory rate under control the baby was getting a feeding tube! I came back to the room and cried. It was a long night of getting up every couple of hours, going down stairs waiting to get into the NICU, scrubbing in nursing and trying to get back to sleep. Monday morning he was returned to our room. I was discharged Monday afternoon. Our hospital has a rule that if you are discharged before the baby you get to stay free of charge (as long as there is a room, and there are plenty) until you can go home together. So much for my plan to go home in 24 hours. We left late Tuesday afternoon more than 72 hours after getting there.
I am pretty sore, not really where you would think though. The muscles in my back and neck are killing me from curling to push, my arms hurt from grabbing my legs to push, my legs hurt from holding them up I feel like it was the hardest workout of my life (which it probably was). I also wasn't prepared for the shaking, I had heard women with epidural anesthesia shaking but I didn't realize it would be a problem in a natural birth.
Andrew is amazing, I look at him and just think i can't believe he is mine! I am also so excited I got my natural birth, after leaving the birth center and having to go the the hospital at 30 weeks I really didn't think that it would be possible. The hospital staff was amazing and understanding and so supportive.
My Sexy look during labor

Working on Andrew

Looking better

You can still see a little meconium

Seeing my baby

Family photo

The head IV (in the NICU) that still traumatizes me!


Pictures from the hospital

Meeting the dog
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,903
He is adorable! I'm sorry that he had to spend time in the NICU, but glad that all is well now. Congrats!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 43,573
I'm glad that you're both doing well now. What a dramatic entry! And I got the shakes with Patrick before I got the epi...and lasted for quite a while after, so I think that sometimes it's just your body's way of dealing with physical stress.

Congrats! He's beautiful!
Thanks to babydoll213 for the siggy! My kids' blog Cora's blog

Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,431
Wow! What an incredible story! Thanks for sharing, he is so handsome!
Thank you claire1979 for my cute new siggy!
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Posts: 3,094
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
He is SO cute!!!!
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 5,018
He is just beautiful!!! The pic with the blue hat and wide eyes made me cry!! Congrats!!!
Colleen ~ Wife to JD , Mom to Tori Rose and Caden Thomas
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 28,175
he's gorgeous, congratulations!!

Lucky mother to five!

Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Happy Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 21,659
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,557
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
TFS your birth story! Wow, what an amazing experience! I just about cried when I saw your baby with the IV in his head....Congratulations and am SO glad all is well!
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,231
He is beautiful!!! congratulations and thanks for sharing your story!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
shalynn19's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 435
He is a doll congrtas!!!!
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
KMQ's Avatar
KMQ KMQ is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,820
He is such a beautiful baby!! Congrats, mama!

Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,409
Wow, thats one detailed story! Well done! Its almost like I was there with you lol. Congrats on your baby boy, so sorry your DH didnt get to have his moment, poor guy!
Mom to Colton,Megan, Caitlyn, Nick, Brandon and 2 angels.
BFP Dec 2010 hcg Dec 18 13dpo 58... Dec 20 15 dpo 190.4 (28 hr doubling)

Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA and AZ
Posts: 8,673
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,134
Amazing birth story... Congrats to you on your baby boy!

Reply With Quote
August 4th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,598
I'm glad you are both doing so well now. Congrats on your beautiful little boy.
Reply With Quote
August 4th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,778
Thanks for sharing such a detailed account! I'm glad you were in good caring hands and everything ended up working out in the end. And you did it all natural, great job! Enjoy your baby boy!
Reply With Quote
August 5th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,197
wow what an experience! Hubby and I need to go on a date lol Congrats and he is a beautiful boy love the pics

Reply With Quote
August 6th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,136
Congrats on your baby boy!
Reply With Quote
August 19th, 2011, 06:29 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 5,518
The first 3/4 days sounds very scarey. So glad he is ok and you were able to stay with him! He's beautiful, congratulations!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0