Log In Sign Up

Alaina's natural birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,903
I had been having contractions pretty regularly for weeks, but I knew things were changing on Sunday (July 31st) night when they were strong enough to wake me up because I can normally sleep through anything! I woke up at 6:30 Monday morning too excited to sleep, but nervous that it would be just another false alarm. Throughout the day on Monday the contractions kept coming regularly and were slowly getting closer together. I relaxed most of the day and sent Matt out for Thai curry for lunch to see if the spiciness would help at all. When the contractions started coming between three and four minutes apart at around 4, Matt made me call my midwife to see what she thought I should do. They wanted me to come in right then and I was really nervous that they would say that nothing had changed at all. When I got there I was at a 5 with bulging waters and she told me to plan on going in that night but that I could wait until I felt like things were picking up.

We went home and called everyone who would need to know what was going on. My BIL and his girlfriend came over to spend the night with the kids and we went to the mall to walk around and get things moving a little. We were there for almost an hour and my contractions were starting to pick up a little in intensity although they were only coming four to five minutes apart. We decided to go to the hospital anyway and when we got there I was still only 5 cm. Contractions picked up again and were coming strong and fast at around 3 minutes apart so I was admitted. Alainaís heart rate was dropping pretty low after each contraction so they made me stay on the monitor for quite a while, which was frustrating because I had wanted to be more mobile. I was also experiencing pretty horrible back labor so lying on my back got excruciating and I would have done anything just to be able to move. Eventually her heart rate evened out and they let me off the monitors. Yay! I was able to get in the tub, which made the contractions quite a bit more intense and the hot water got to be too much after about ten minutes. I got in and out of the tub four times during the night and spent most of the rest of the time pacing the halls with Matt or sitting on the toilet. It took me hours to get to 6 cm and I was so frustrated because I was definitely contracting, but I wasnít progressing well at all.

When my midwife, Susan, came to the hospital and heard about my back labor, she offered to do some ďharmlessĒ procedure (I canít remember the name) involving four insulin needles and sterile water being injected into my back. Four nurses came in and all at once I was injected with the four needles and the sterile water. It worked wonders on the back pain, but it was incredibly painful. Matt and I continued to walk the halls and tried nipple stimulation to bring on more contractions. Finally, we made the decision to ask for my waters to be broken in hopes that it would get things moving. It was 3:30 am and I was completely exhausted. The next 4 Ĺ hours are a blur. My contractions almost completely STOPPED after my membranes were ruptured and I tried to sleep a little. By 6:30 I was only 7 cm and completely frustrated with my body. Matt and I walked the halls some more and my contractions began to pick up. At this point they were intense enough that I had to moan through them, but not too painful. I decided to get in the tub again since that helped the contractions pick up in intensity before. This time it worked a little too well and they started coming hard and fast. I got out and walked the halls some more, having to stop about every minute because of increasingly intense contractions.

We went back into the room because I was sick of walking and starting to feel like something was finally happening. I sat on the toilet again (it was a surprisingly comfortable place to labor!) and had three very strong contractions. By that time, it was 7:30 and I knew things were happening now and it probably wouldnít be long, although I was trying not to get my hopes up. I got onto the birthing ball and moaned my way through several big contractions that were coming back to back. I was shaking and getting the chills between contractions and I got into the bed because I knew it was about time and I also knew I would be most comfortable pushing on the bed.

Susan checked me and I was a 9 and completely thinned out. The contractions were incredibly painful and I didnít have a break between them. After a few, I felt Alainaís head coming down into my birth canal and felt an incredible urge to push. I was complete and started pushing. Iím not going to lie, it was the most awful pain Iíve ever felt in my life. I made some crazy, animalistic noises while pushing that were completely involuntary, but they helped me to push her out. It took me one long, hard push to get her out. She came out so quickly that her head never had to conform to fit through the birth canal. Matt assisted Susan in catching her and he got to put her on my chest. I was so proud of him because he was nervous that he would drop her, but he did great and I think heís glad he did it. My MIL was also there and got to see her being born, which she said was the most amazing experience.

I guess I was saying some pretty interesting things during the last ten minutes. I told Matt that my body wasn't meant to give birth and that I didn't think she was going to fit. I also begged for drugs about a minute before pushing It was a little too late at that point, but I tried

Alaina was born at 8:02 am (two minutes after Mattís guess of 8) and weighed 7 lbs even and was 19 inches long. She seems so tiny, but she is healthy and was able to latch on perfectly the first time. I was able to get up and move immediately, which was wonderful because I had been strapped to the bed for a long time after my other births. Today I donít even feel like I gave birth only a day ago. I didnít tear and the only pain I feel is from uterine cramping. I studied Hypnobabies and was excited to use it during labor, but I didnít get to utilize it very much. I used it for relaxation, but it all went out the window when things got really intense. I did use the birth playlist I had created on my iPod and the music helped me relax a ton. All in all, Iím glad I chose to go naturally and will probably be even more happy with my experience once the memories of the pain fade away

Thanks for reading if you got this far!!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

Last edited by ~*Nicole*~; August 3rd, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 14,431
Congrats mama! Great story, thanks for sharing!
Thank you claire1979 for my cute new siggy!
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,088
I love your story, I think it is hilarious that you asked for an epidural a minute before pushing....I looked at my doc while pushing and said it is too late now right?!?? They said ummm YES!
Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,409
awesome story!! Welcome to the world Alaina!! Congrats!
Mom to Colton,Megan, Caitlyn, Nick, Brandon and 2 angels.
BFP Dec 2010 hcg Dec 18 13dpo 58... Dec 20 15 dpo 190.4 (28 hr doubling)

Reply With Quote
August 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA and AZ
Posts: 8,673
Reply With Quote
August 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,598
Reply With Quote
January 18th, 2012, 05:05 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations! i'm glad it went so well.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0