vba2c... a birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2011, 10:16 PM
mamamerle's Avatar Super Mommy
On Tuesday morning, since my midwife was still out of town, I had my 39 week appointment with the OB that would be supervising my un-medicated VBA2C (vaginal birth after two cesareans). I texted my doula on the way to ask if we should even bother with a pelvic exam. There had been no change in the previous two checks, and I was starting to get bummed out and didn't care to know. I was showing no signs of upcoming labor anyway. She said it wouldn't hurt to check, just in case. However, once again, I was still only dilated to 1 cm, 75% effaced, with a squishy anterior facing cervix. Bah. I went about my day expecting to be huge and uncomfortable for a while longer. Besides, I was almost finished hand stitching the binding on my quilt and really wanted to get it done before the baby was born. So I stayed up until 1am to finish the quilt.

I woke up Wednesday morning around 6:45. For about fifteen minutes I felt as good as my aching back, hips, and pelvis would let me, however as I got up and started moving around, the cramping started. The pain escalate quickly. I waited until 7:00 am to snuggle in bed and whisper to my husband "I think today might be baby day".

I made two last quilting passes on my quilt, threw it in the washer, and asked my husband to make me bacon and eggs while I showered. I said I'd call my doula after I got dressed to give her a heads-up. The contractions were rolling in quite close together by now. I started to get a little nervous. This was totally different than my last labor.

I sent the first text at 7:49 am: good morning contractions!

We texted back and forth with details… mucus plug was coming out with a pink tint, contractions were five minutes apart lasting a minute or so. She texts back with "we have quite a bit of early labor work to do, but that is very efficient" and asked me to time them for an hour.

I texted her at 8:11am: my water just broke

As she replied asking for details, contractions hit me like a ton of bricks and a primal instinct kicked in. I crawled up in my bed on all fours and dialed her number. She says she can be at my house in a couple of hours, but in my mind I somehow know we didn't have that much time. I was in a zone. It was surreal.

I went back and forth from the bed to the bathroom. My body was preparing itself for birth. On one pass back to the bed I decided I wanted to labor in water, so I filled up the tub, stripped down and crawled into a fetal position on my left side.

As soon as the water surrounded me it was if the edge was taken off the pain and I was able to manage the contractions. I was still in that zone when I heard my doula's voice. I had no idea how much time had passed. (Later she said she got to my house at 9:30 am.) My focus shifted to her soothing voice as she guided me through waves of intense contractions. I vaguely remember telling her I had to push. I was no longer in control of my body! She said it was time to get out of the tub, get dressed and head to the hospital.

It took a while to get from the bathroom to the car with intense contractions stacking up one after another, but I knew we had to go. I crawled into the back seat of our car on all fours and braced myself for the ride. I had to seriously concentrate on resisting the urge to push in the car! Ten minutes later a nurse was trying to convince me to get out of the car and into a wheelchair. We went straight to a delivery room. It was 10:45 am.

I remember someone checking me and saying "the baby's head is right there!" The flurry of activity kicked into high gear. I barely noticed the OB had come running in pulling on scrubs as he sat down to catch the baby. My body was on autopilot. I reached down and felt her head. As soon as I did that, I seriously doubt I could have stopped the next two freight train like pushes that brought our little girl into this world at 11:05 am. They immediately put her up on my chest. I think everyone in the room was shocked how quickly it all unfolded. When the cord stopped pulsing the OB asked my husband if he'd like to cut it, and he did. They cleaned her up while I pushed out the placenta and I was checked for damage. Surprisingly, I did not tear and overall was none to worse for wear.

I was on an endorphin high! I did it! Despite the odds, I got my un-medicated vaginal birth after two previous c-sections!

Our little Ada Jo was 7 lbs., 4 ozs., 19 1/4" long, bright and alert, latched right away and is perfect in every way. I could not have planned it any better.
August 5th, 2011, 07:41 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Wow, what a beautifully qucik and efficient birth!!! Congratulations and I am very happy for you!
August 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A HUGE congrats on your successful VAB2C!!! Wonderful accomplishment and it sounds like it went very nicely too!
August 6th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!
August 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
ldovey83's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats and glad you got your unmedicated VBAC2 and everything went so quickly and smooth for you...
August 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
Congrats!!!!!!

\
August 6th, 2011, 03:43 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Glad everything went so well for you!!

August 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a perfect entrance into this world! CONGRATS!

August 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! What a great story!
August 7th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
great story, congrats!

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/31/15!

August 7th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome birth story! Love the name!

August 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
Wow! Congratulations!!
August 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats - as an unmedicated VBAC hopeful your story is very inspiring to me! I hope I have as much success as you .

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

August 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Kim
Congrats!!!!

August 8th, 2011, 06:45 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Wow! What a fantastic birth story! Congrats mamma!

[/url
January 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations- i'm glad it went so well!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search