Arrival of Emma Mae....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 07:07 PM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will update this more later: just wanted to let you ladies know how things went.

Aug 1st we went in for our induction. I was flying high.... couldn't wait to meet our princess.
Got to hospital around 9:15 am. Admitted and brought up to our L&D room. Was told to change, and lay on the bed. Cervic check done before anything, we were at 2 centimeters and 80% effaced. Around 10:15 1st bag of gel was inserted to cause me to dilate. Was sent out to walk with hubby for an hour. Got back into room checked cervic....3 centimeters now. Doc was surprised and glad I dilated that much already. 2nd bag inserted and another 1 hour walk. By this time it was around noonish ( i lost track of time). Got back to room cervic check.... no real change. Maybe to a 3.5 now and 90% effaced. So doc came in and broke my water. (what a weird feeling)
Started on pitocin at this point. Did great until they upped the pitocin to level 6. (started at 2)
I started really feeling them now. Got rocking chair to help me through contractions.
Finally had to get up and rock while standing and have hubby rub my lower back. Contractions were insane. I was breathing through them the best I can. I finally caved!!! EPI NOW!!!!!
Laying in bed having alot of contractions and nurse tells me the anesthesiologist is busy with someone else. It's going to be at least an hour. So by this time it's around 8 pm I believe. Finally anesthesiologist comes in 1 hour and 45 minutes later. At this point I was shaking in pain on the bed. Each contraction was killing me. Nurse came in and upped my pitocin again. Finally felt relief with epi in. Doc came in and said I was to a 5 or something. Not enough progression so she decided to lay me on my sides with the peanut ball in between my legs, and told hubby and I to sleep. So we did. 2 hours go by and finally finally!! we have 10 centimeters dilated. Time to push.....

Started pushing at 4 am. HOLY HELL!! I don't know what happened but suddenly I have HORRIBLE HORRIBLE pain in my left side that radiated all the way around to my left lower back. I was in tears. Nurse wasn't sure why I was feeling this but told me to push through the pain.

After 1 hour of pushing and no progress she moved me and told me to push on my side. No help. We moved onto tug of war style.... no help. We tried other side.... no help.

The pain was killing me. She would tell me to push and I would almost have a hard time getting a big breath of air. Finally she called my doc into the room to have her watch me push.
Doc inserted her hand into me and tried moving my cervix and feeling around. Watched me push and after 30 minutes gave me the good news.

Emma is coming out with the side of her head. So her bones in her head wouldn't allow for her to come out. Instead of the crown of her head coming out, it was more towards she side (by her ear) that was trying to come out. They didn't know this until doc pushed her way into my cervix. OUCH!!!

So onto a c section for me. I broke down crying!!! I couldn't believe it.
2.5 hours of pushing and to be told she won't come out, I felt horrible.

6:30 we stopped pushing and doc called for block to be done so we can do c section. At this point it was 26 hours into my labor.

C section was the worst pain I have felt. The pressure and pain when they were pushing under my breasts was insane. The whole time I was saying OUCH OUCH OUCH, then finally relief. Emma Mae was born 7:04 am Aug 2nd. 7 lbs 7 oz and 20 inches long

I saw her and was instantly in love. She is so beautiful. Her apgar score was 8 @ 1 minute 9 @ 5 minute. I went to recovery and hubby spent the couple hours with Emma. I couldn't be happier, I love Emma with all my heart. She is so beautiful.

Incision hurts horribly, and looks ugly. But down 18 lbs so far. 25 to go. Emma won't latch or nurse at all. So I try pumping alot during the day.

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
August 7th, 2011, 07:16 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry things didn't go the way you envisioned (I've been there) but I'm glad you're both doing well. It's normal for epi/c-section babies to be groggy and lazy at first - just give her time to get the meds out of her system and she'll be active I'm sure. She's a beautiful babe!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

August 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I now have a daughter!!!
Congrats! I'm glad she's here safe and sound, but does not sound like a good birth

As for her not latching, have you seen a lactation consultant? And also it's not recommended to use a pacifier when there isn't a breastfeeding relationship established yet. She could be getting confused by the difference in nipples too. I'm no expert, but I just know that pacifiers and bottles in the beginning are "no-no's" if you want to have the best chance of succeeding w/ breastfeeding.

kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting is a great reference for breastfeeding.

Good luck! And enjoy every moment with that new bundle

August 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Oh trust me I am sure she is nipple confused. I got with lactation consultants while in the hospital, and they forced me to supplement feed her. Due to her not eating off of me. So pretty much, it's my fault for her not breastfeeding.
I am not sure how long I can pump. I am already bleeding a tiny bit. And seem to only get 20 ml per breast each time I pump. I know it's only been 6 days.....but I'm so confused.

August 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
Congratulations on your beautiful little girl! She is so sweet! Take things one day at a time and I UNDERSTAND what you're going through in your attempt at breastfeeding and how frustrating it can be....

I hope it works out for you as it didn't for me with DS. Best wishes!!
August 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I now have a daughter!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlove08 View Post
Oh trust me I am sure she is nipple confused. I got with lactation consultants while in the hospital, and they forced me to supplement feed her. Due to her not eating off of me. So pretty much, it's my fault for her not breastfeeding.
I am not sure how long I can pump. I am already bleeding a tiny bit. And seem to only get 20 ml per breast each time I pump. I know it's only been 6 days.....but I'm so confused.
UGH, sounds so frustrating. I sure hope she latches soon. And I know what it's like to have the sore nipples. It can get so painful. Hopefully, you're at least in the worst of it there for pain-wise. Eventually they do toughen-up. If Baby Emma never does latch on, hopefully you can feed her your breastmilk for a long awhile regardless. I have heard of that happening as well. One of my friend's pumped for well over a year for her son. It's just so much easier / ideal if she could get it straight from the source.

HUGS...

August 8th, 2011, 06:18 AM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man! Sorry you had to have a c-section. I'm afraid of that. Glad little Emma arrived safe and that you are doing well yourself.

August 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad you and Emma are doing well. It sounds like it was very rough, and I'm sorry it all turned out that way, but Emma is BEAUTIFUL and you did a good job! Congrats!
August 8th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
wow you had a ruff time! Im glad you and baby are doing good now take care

August 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks ladies. We couldn't be happier with our baby girl.

Now as for breastfeeding.... the pumping is just as hard. I was told to pump every 2 hours. UGH.... talk about hard. I can't seem to do it that often. If we're running around, or I want to sleep and such.

I don't want to put her on formula only, although I know it's so much easier.... Is that bad of me?

August 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Kim
It sounds like you had a really rough time, hun. But congratulations on that beautiful little baby.

As far as feeding your little girl, do what you feel is right and best for your family, no matter what that is.

August 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations on your BEAUTIFUL baby girl I'm sorry the birth was rough and the feeding isn't going as planned. I feel like I've been exactly where you are (with DD) and it's tough. *big hugs*

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
August 8th, 2011, 07:12 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Congratulations of the arrival of your sweet little girl!
My best advice to you is that if you feel that formula will help out especially since pumping is not working out so well... use the formula!! If you are upset about the pumping and having difficulty it takes away from your entire experience and although Im a believer in the benefits of breastfeeding, I believe even more in the bonding and joy between mom and baby and thats so much easier, when you remove the stress that pumping and difficulty latching causes. Dont feel bad, your baby wont be hurt by formula!

[/url
August 14th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you had such a rough labor. Congratulations on your beautiful little girl!

Do whatever works best for you and baby in terms of feeding her - pumping, formula, or both.
August 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Thank you ladies. Emma has been formula fed for days now. No breast anymore. She's been doing great. However she is eating non stop. unreal.
3-4 ounces at a time every 1.5-2 hours. She's barely 2 weeks old!!!!!

August 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG Girl!!! You really had to go through ALOT!!! I am so happy you and your family are healthy and safe!!! Well worth it I am sure!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
August 18th, 2011, 06:20 PM
wingqueen26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh gosh, I feel like we have so much in common as my story is a little similar. Induction, dilation, then unexpected c-section. I never made it to the pushing stage but I can relate to your contraction pain. It was the worst pain of my life and recovering from a c-section has been difficult as well as breastfeeding. I feel like I am two steps behind women who go in, have their vaginal deliveries, don't BF and bounce back that much faster. I am kind of feeling sorry for myself these days despite my beautiful princess. She is worth it but I will forever question that induction! I posted my birth story tonight. I wish you all the best with your baby girl. She's a treasure! I also love the name. Mae is my grandmother's name and originally we planned to name her Adele Mae but well, it's a long story, ha ha.

thank u quantum leap for my siggy

August 19th, 2011, 06:15 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3

Sorry it was so tramatic. To bad the nurse didn't have you checked earlier and you could have avoided some of that pain.
September 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you ladies!!!! Emma and I are doing well. She's getting so big!!!

January 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! you have a beautiful daughter.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search