Evan's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Kim
Evan Lindsey
August 5, 2011

I was bringing in the garbage cans from the curb at about 6pm and noticed a really big gush, so I panicked and ran to the bathroom thinking my water had broken; it ended up just being a really big chunk of mucous, so I went about my business. I had another gush about an hour later, but again it was more plug but it was less goopy and more liquidy this time. I was scheduled to go in the morning for an NST, so I planned on asking them to check for amniotic fluid then. I kept having this nagging feeling that something was up, so I called L&D at about 8:15, and told them what was up, and was told to go in just in case it was my water.

I was collecting my things to go, then about 8:30pm, I knew my water had broken; it was either that or I was peeing myself uncontrollably, over and over again. There was just suddenly fluid everywhere. It was the strangest (and most disgusting) feeling ever! We called my friend who was coming to watch Jenna until the inlaws could make it into town, and went on our way. We headed in right away even though labour hadn't started because I was GBS positive and they wanted to get me on the antibiotics right away. I was taken into a room and tested for amniotic fluid, then the dr. came in for a cervical check and he wanted to double confirm the amniotic fluid so there was another swab test done; he had a resident and a medical student with him, and he asked if the resident could do the speculum test, so I thought, whatever. Um, dumb decision. He did it wrong (OUCH!), so then the dr. did it, and then the resident did it again. Then came the cervical checks- I think that dr. is the roughest man in the whole world; it hurt so freaking bad. The resident did it afterwards, and he was much gentler, thank god.

So, then the dr. went into his whole spiel about VBACS, and what would usually happen; I was annoyed by this point because he was being a condescending buttface, but I guess he thought he was doing his job. He basically told me that when women come in GBS+ and their water has broken, they are induced right away to reduce the risk of infection. However, because I was also attempting to VBAC, things were complicated even more because he will not use oxytocin (pitocen) to induce VBAC patients. Ever. The only real option he was going to give me was waiting out the night to see if I went into active labour by myself; at this point I wasn't having any contractions and I hadn't progressed at all since my appointment on Monday. I'm stubborn, so I wanted to wait out the night, hoping like hell that I would magically go into labour by myself. I didn't. I was dead tired, plus I was leaking/gushing amniotic fluid all over the place, but sleep didn't happen. I did start having contractions about 5:30am, but they were very weak, and when the dr. came in around 8 am, I had made absolutely no cervical progress. So, Tyler and I just decided to go for the section; this dr. was still on call all day, so there was no way I was getting another dr. who would help me VBAC and I was exhausted.

The section was scheduled for 11:30, after the dr's morning clinic; I basically had to sit in the bed, and wait out my contractions (I was having back labour in between, so my back basically ached and throbbed the whole time) until he came back. They started prepping me about 11:45, and by 12:34 Evan Lindsey came screaming into the world. He looked so big to me when they pulled him out, but he wasn't very big at all. He was 7lbs 12oz and 20 inches long; I was so curious how much hair he'd have because Jenna was so very furry- he has some dark brown hair, but not a whole lot.

Tyler went with the baby when he went to be weighed and bathed, and I just about puked 3 times on the table from all the pressure and work of being put back together. The anesthetist was awesome- he ended up giving me a dose of gravol so I could get rid of the nausea.

I was in recovery for 2 hours because I couldn't stop shaking from the spinal; I was shaking so violently that their machine couldn't even read my blood pressure. They brought Tyler and Evan into the recovery room after about 20 minutes, and they were going to let me attempt to bf and hold the baby, but with the shaking I couldn't do it. We got into the room and snuggled for a bit, then tried breastfeeding. Evan was not having it. We tried every couple of hours, but ultimately I've given up nursing and he's on formula now. He had a couple really good feeds, but he fought to get away from the boob every time it came near him. He would claw and push and cry and turn away. The nurse couldn't believe how much he fought me. It was a little depressing, especially because when he did nurse he had a good latch and didn't rip up my nipples in the first 12 hours like Jenna did and I was willing to give it a go. But, I also forgot how much I hate breastfeeding, so we're all a little happier now.

Jenna came with Tyler's parents came to visit that evening, and she was ok with baby then. Now that he's home and Tyler's parents have gone home, it's a bit of a different story... My recovery is going so much better than with Jenna, but it's hard with Jenna not understanding that I can't lift her and do much of anything right now. I'm actually having a really hard time not being able to lift her and do much of anything too, but I know its only for a couple weeks.

So that's it. Pretty undramatic and anticlimactic after all of the waiting, but my sweet boy is here, and we're so in love with the little monkey. Here are a few pics. Thanks for reading!

August 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
Congratulations on your little boy!! TFS your birth story! Evan is so sweet, congrats again!
August 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
tulipgen's Avatar Veteran
Congratulations on your baby boy!

August 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! He's adorable

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
August 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Too bad the Dr wouldnt help along the labour a bit, but congrats on the safe arrival of your little guy!!

[/url
August 11th, 2011, 06:19 AM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww.....he is a cutie!

August 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ohhh he's sooo cute mama!!! congrats!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

August 12th, 2011, 08:16 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you didn't get your VBAC . But your baby is gorgeous!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

August 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your boy - he's adorable!!
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
August 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! Evan is a sweetheart!
August 14th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!!! He is just adorable!
January 17th, 2012, 10:21 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! he is so cute!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search