My little rock-star

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
It's been a crazy few days and I'm glad to finally be home.

August 6th, I woke up at 3:45a with the most intense toothache. Less than five minutes later, as I contemplated some Tylenol, my water broke. Not just broke, but gushed. After an articulate series of, "****, ****, ****!" and DH promptly panicking, we called our midwife for her input. At 33 weeks, it was clear we would have to visit the hospital, but she gave us directions toward a better hospital an hour further away than our initial plan.

We arrived, were checked in, and they found I was 3cm dilated. The staff immediately put me on a drip of magnesium (the worse medication ever) to stop the contractions; if they could stop the contractions, they hoped to delay labor until Saturday - when I would be 34 weeks. If labor didn't start naturally, they intended to induce me, and we would go from there.

They kept the magnesium drip at maximum through Saturday and Sunday with intentions of decreasing its drip by Monday. The magnesium unfortunately made me several kinds of loopy, and with the addition of ambient for sleep, I was hallucinating (I told the nurse she dressed like a dinosaur, and told DH we were space aliens). My weekend went by in a blur, save for the occasional visit by the doctor, and DH says I was anything but lucid. It was not fun.

Monday, they came to check my vitals just after 3am. The magnesium had been decreased to a minimum, and I was feeling short, but close-together cramping. As the nurse was visiting, I told her I was experiencing the need to push. She expressed disbelief, but said she'd check just in case. I was 10cm dilated - there was no question about it. I was in labor.

I pushed for less than a minute, and at 3:18am on August 8th, Roan Roth came into the world. He was 2lbs and 15oz, much smaller than they had anticipated. He was however 16 inches long, but his birth weight concerned them. I wasn't given the chance to even seen him before they carted him off to the NICU, and the doctor gave me a single stitch for my efforts. Dh was the only one present of my family for my labor - considering how quick it went - but my midwife's assistant eventually visited with my mother (our midwife is presently in Florida!). They were able to visit Roan in the NICU shortly after his birth, and the NICU nurses were convinced he would have to breathe through an oxygen tube. Less than twelve hours later, they had Roan on a little nasal tube for his oxygen, and he exceeded their expectations.

He's been receiving 2cc of breast-milk since his birth with his feedings, and has gained 5grams. They've been treating him for jaundice, but has been making remarkable progress with his treatment. Once they have him off the photo-bank, they say we will be able to hold him. He sucks a pacifier like a champ, and has such strong lungs for such a little man! He's cried several times while we've visited, and grips our fingers with a vice grip.

He's being seen in one of the best NICU's in the state (the other being in Denver), and is doing remarkably well. I was discharged today after several days of monitoring my BP, and am pleased to be home.

Roan is an hour and a half away, and it kills to be so far away from him. I'm experiencing some strong baby blues, and the doctor says women who have children in NICU - especially those who are far away - are at a greater risk of postpartum depression. DH is keeping a close eye on me, and has been amazing during these trying times. We've been pumping every two hours and saving our breast-milk - though I never expected it to hurt so much! We're pending for medicaid, and hope to hear good news back from the office soon.

For such a stressful couple of days, we have had amazing luck and progress. We hope Roan will be home by DH's birthday at the end of this month, but will take it one step at a time.

A minor hiccup: The valet at the hospital lost my car keys! Being a key-fob, it took nearly $650 to replace the entire system in my car (something they have sworn to reimburse us for - but how stressful, on top of an early baby!!). It's definitely been wild, and we will be visiting the NICU every day until our little man can come home. We hope to continue to have updates about his progress and look forward to watching him grow over the next few weeks.

For now, I sit in this bedroom we intend to share with our baby boy, and feel my heart swell with fear and love. I can't seem to stop crying, but hope it will get better as time goes on. It's nice to finally be home, and able to share a bed with my DH again - but I know I won't feel complete until I have my little man with me.

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

August 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM
sarahe210's Avatar Veteran
Congratulations on your baby and I hope you will have him home quickly.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

August 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Veteran

I love the name and pray that he will be home soon!
August 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Congratulations momma! What a story wow. To bad you can't be at the hospital with him. Many prayers that he continues to do so well and he is home very very soon.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 11th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
What a wild ride! I am glad to hear he is a champ and doing well.

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
August 11th, 2011, 06:21 AM
*KaraBeth*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats again mama! There was no stopping him once he decided he was ready - beautiful story!
Roan will be in my prayers that he can come home soon.

August 11th, 2011, 07:47 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
It's definitely tough to be so far away. I've been crying a lot, but DH is doing all he came to help calm my worries. I was born at 32 weeks, and made it through my journey - so Roan can, too! The doctor said it was better he came early than lasted through the infection in the placenta, so that was also good to hear.

I should have some pictures up later today!

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

August 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
MommyShan's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm so sorry that he has to be so far away from you. I know how hard that must be. It's awesome that he's doing so well and I hope that he continues to grow and develop quickly, so he can come home. Thoughts & prayers!!

August 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats mama!! I'm sure it must be so hard to keep your precious little man at the hospital and leave - I can only imagine the pain it'd bring. But, your strong and can do it!! Many hugs to you for coming through what you did! Glad your DH is there to help and support you! Thoughts and prayers that Roan will be able to come home with you soon and also for you to make it though this trying time!!
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
August 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hoping for baby #2
Dropping by from the Dec DDC to wish you Ill keep your family in my thoughts and I pray Roan comes home soon.

August 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM
2nd_Peanut_on_Board's Avatar Super Momma
Congratulations hun! What an amazing story you have to share with little Roan some day I can't wait to see the pics and to hear that he is finally home with you both

August 12th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations mama! Your little guy is precious and the videos were amazing!
August 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
mom2moose
Congrats on your little man. I really like his name. I'm sorry he has to stay so far away from you. Hopefully, it won't be a long stay for him and he'll be home with you guys soon. (Your hubby is a doll. I loved all his updates for us on FB!)

Please watch out for the post partum thing. If you think you might need help, make sure you ask your OB about it. It's better to take care of it quickly before it has a chance to get out of control.
August 13th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! He is so precious. Hope you get to bring him home soon.
August 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
2014 Offshoremama78's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hoping you and your lil Roan are doing well...
Cant wait to hear the news that hes coming home..

My Ovulation Chart

Soy Iso Believer

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
August 13th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Super Mommy
congrats! hope you feel better soon and Baby Roan is home soon!

August 14th, 2011, 02:46 AM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats ! and praying for a quick recovery for roan!

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
August 18th, 2011, 05:17 PM
amycc's Avatar Super Mommy
I hope Roan is home soon, what a great birth story!

September 2nd, 2011, 05:14 AM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just now reading this for some reason! But that was a great birth story..and I'm glad Roan is doing so well!
January 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! i hope everything is well and he's home with you, now.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search