The birth of our baby girl.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went into labor at some point of the day on Aug. 8th. I contracted much of the day and just generally didn't feel "right". I took a long nap which is pretty odd for me as I just never sleep well. The contractions grew closer together, stronger, and more painful as time went on.

Around midnight on Aug 9th the contractions became evenly spaced around 5 minutes apart and were so strong I couldn't move though them. I called my Dr and they said to come in. Luckily DH was home and able to drive the 45 minutes to the hospital. He was freaking out but I got him to take a shower with me and to refresh the hospital bag. I let everyone know we were on our way in and we left.

We got to the hospital and were joking about this being another false alarm and the nurse's kicking us out and telling us not to come back as we'd been though this so many times. We checked in though the ER (since it was after hours) and they came down and took us up. Most of the nurse's knew us and wondered out loud if this was really it. I did all the usual check in stuff, weight/BP/pee in a cup/temp/30 minutes worth of monitoring. It showed lots of evenly spaced contractions so the Dr came in and checked me. I was 3cm, enough to be admited, and 85% effaced.We did lots of paper work and got me settled into a room.

After we were there we let everyone know we'd been admitted. I got my saline lock and could then do pretty much whatever I wanted with the exception of 30 minutes of monitoring every 2 hours. I had good nurse's that were NCB friendly and all was great.

Around 3pm the nurse checked me and I was at 5cm and 100% effaced about 15 minutes after she checked me my water broke as I was on my way to the shower. They had to have housekeeping come mop the floor. The contractions picked up pace and intensity for awhile but it didn't last long.

By 7pm my contractions had slowed and spaced out but I had gone to 6cm. The dr came by and we discussed some options and made a plan of action since my water was broken and we were on a ticking clock. I was going to rest for an hour then drink a soda and walk around. If I showed no progress we were going to start a low dose of Pitocin.

By 9:30pm I had no change and started Pitocin at 10pm. We started at the lowest possiable dose and went up every 30 minutes. They checked me again around 11pm and in spite of getting my contractions up to every 6 to 8 minutes I was still stuck at 6cm. We decided to continue Pitocin for a few more hours.Around 2 am I got to where I wasn't handling the contractions very well and got some IV pain meds. I still didn't want the epi even though they were begining to push it. Apparently I was very funny while on the pain meds. DH, my 2 best friends and the nurses were all in hysterics over all the things I was rammbling about. I adopted a british accent which made it all the more funny. I really don't remember a lot of this but I have video evidence so...yeah..what great friend I have. Everyone agreed I should start doing stand up comedy for a living.

Pitocin contractions are no ***** joke and the meds just didn't last long enough. By 7am on the 10th it was clear that we'd done all we could do.At that point we'd tryed large doses of Pitocin, showering, birthing ball, walking, caffeine,moving into every position known to man, and iv meds. I hadn't made it past 7cm.It was time to prepare for a c-section.They cut off the Pitocin and started running fluids. I cried so hard when they said the OR would be ready at 9am. The Dr said he hated to section me. He'd never seen anyone push for a NCB as much as I did. I was scared out of my mind. I had never had any type of surgery before..I still have my wisdom teeth even.

By 8:30am my MIL,FIL,BIL,SIL, and my adopted dad had arrived and along with my 2 best friends I had a large cheering section as I walked back to the OR. When the nurse and I walked in the OR nurse looked at me like I had 3 heads and asked the nurse if she was sure she had the right patient. She swore up and down that I was only about 5 months pregnant. my nurse said that I was the right one. I asked how her foot tasted. Any bit of filter I ever had was gone at this point I was so exhausted. I got my spinal block and was layed back and draped. They brought DH in then and sat him by my head and got to work.

Our baby was born at 9:25am. They moved Dh over to be near her and he took some pics while the made sure she was ok. He brought the camera over for me to see. So I saw pics of her before I acctually saw her. After they had weighed and measured her (6 pound 4 ounces and 19 inches long) They wrapped her up and brought her over for Dh to hold and for me to see her. She was just so beautiful. She had never cried once the whole time. The Dr asked what her name was and Dh said for me to pick. I noticed her ears have a slight point to them and I said she has fairy ears. I then said her name is Nara Faye because it means "nearest one of the fairies". They then took her to NICU for check her out and boy did she scream then. She was not happy to be taken away.

Dh stayed with me until I went to recovery which he couldn't go so he went to the NICU to be with Nara.I don't remember much form the 2 hours I spent in recovery. I do remember that the massage thing they do hurts really bad even though a spinal block. I think I pretty much slipped into a coma at that point.I woke up when they took me back to my room. When we got there they tryed sitting me up in bed and my stiches weren't good enough so the broke half way open. Luckily I had enough spinal block left so it didn't hurt. It was just super scary with all kinds of blood everywhere.

They took me out re-stiched me and cleaned me up. After 4 hours I finally got to really meet and hold my daughter. I was the last person to hold her which I'm mildly bitter about but I'm very happy that she's perefect. No NICU stay needed and she can be with me all the time.

August 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!
So great that your little one needs no nicu time! Awesome!
August 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
mom2moose
Sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted, but congrats on your little girl!! Love her name. It's so different and lovely.

Enjoy your precious little girl!!
August 12th, 2011, 09:04 PM
sarahe210's Avatar Veteran
Congratulations!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

August 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby girl!!

I'm sorry that you didn't get the birth you wanted, but I am so glad to hear that she is doing so well and didn't need to stay in the NICU.

August 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM
*KaraBeth*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby girl - I love her name!! I'm so happy she didn't have to stay in the hospital and was able to come home with you.

August 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! I love the name as well. So you just picked it out on the spot?
August 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Offshoremama78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Grtas on lil Nara.. Hoping you are recovering well
and Nara is doing great!

Alexander Cameron Murphy
02/27/2014 - 02/27/2014
August 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Super Mommy
congrats! that is so great she gets to come home with you! how far along were you?

August 14th, 2011, 02:56 AM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats on your baby and that she got to come home with you!

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
August 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you everyone! She is such a joy. We had 3 first names picked and we waited until she was born to pick. We really couldn't find any girl named that "popped" for us. We went to the library and were looking at baby name books and found an older one. Dh just randomly opened it and found Nara. It apprears in both Japanese (meaning Sacred Oak) and in Old English( meaning Nearest One). Here middle name Faye was my mother's name and means "Of The Fairies".

I have people tell me all the time that I look or that I act like a fairy and it was interesting to me that she was born with slightly pointed ears or as I call them Fairy ears. Also in Fairy legend, fairies attended childbirth and people believed that when a woman was in pain in childbirth fairies caused it. I had such a long labor (32 hours at the hospital and was activly in labor when I got there) and with her ears I thought it fitting for her name to be The Nearest One of The Fairies.

I was 36 weeks and 4 days along I do believe. Plus I had had the steroid shots because of all my PTL.

She's a very quiet, super chill baby so far. She'll let anyone hold her and barely fusses if she wants/needs something. She's so tiny that new born size clothes are too big for her. We put her in her going home outfit yesterday so the hospital could take pics and it's much too big! It fell right off of her so Dh and MIL went and bought her some preemie clothes and they fit a little better.

August 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats mama!! What a great birth story - glad everything turned out fine for you. Too bad you had to get c-section but at least baby and you are doing fine! And, I love her name and the meaning behind it is even more special!
August 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM
amycc's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats on your sweet baby girl! Can't wait for pics!

August 28th, 2011, 11:37 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Thanks for sharing her story. Glad she is such a calm baby.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

January 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congrats on your beautiful little girl!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search