The birth story of Oliver Lowell

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let’s start on Saturday. My husband returned home from Iraq. A combination of heat and stress of what to expect I started having some braxton hicks contractions. They weren’t regular at all nor were they painful for most of the day. That evening, I started having contractions that were relatively painful. I took a nice warm bath and took a benedryl. That calmed me enough to sleep that night. So off to bed we went.

Sunday morning rolls around. And things are going pretty well. I start having contractions. Again, nothing really consistant or timeable. I figured they were braxton hicks again. Around 8 pm that evening, I decided a bath would be a good idea. That seems to ease braxton hicks quite a bit. Except this time, it wasn’t working. My husband joined me in the tub, talking to me trying to keep my mind off of things. It seemed as though the contractions got more bearable, but didn’t slow down. When I got out of the bath, we decided it was time to start timing contractions. They seemed very strange. Ranging from 2-4 minutes apart lasting 30-45 seconds, nothing too pressing yet. I finally got into a position that seemed to slow the contractions down. The contractions moved to 5-6 minutes apart however, they lasted 60-75 seconds and they were extremely painful. At this point, Greg felt it was time to call the midwife. Contractions were consistantly coming for 2 hours by now. So I did.

We decided that we had some more time because the contractions weren’t in a pattern yet. She told me to call her back in 30-45 minutes with an update and she would get her stuff ready and alert the assistants. I called my doula, Carnly. We decided to have her go ahead and head on over to the house. I did so because poor Greg was a little lost on what to do. I can remember the looks on his face while I was contracting and it was the sweetest thing. The best way to describe it was a combination of sympathy and pain. About 10:45 PM my doula and I decided it was time to call the midwife and tell her to head on over. It was pretty obvious at this point it was definitely labor and I was progressing. I have a history of fast labors and so we wanted to make sure she got there. At some point shortly after calling my midwife, our birth photographer showed up. I vaguely remember her coming. I remember her camera going off a couple of times and then things fade away.

(Just a quick note here, from this point forward things are quite hazy. What I am telling is what I remember so I may miss somethings because I was so zoned out, which I never thought could happen to me during labor).

Apparently, shortly after the photographer showed up my midwife and her birth assistants arrived. I have no idea when they arrived or how long they were there by the time I saw them. I was on my living room floor leaning on my birthing ball when I heard someone tell me she needed to try to hear heart tones. I look up and there sat Cindi (my midwife). That is when I looked around and saw the whole team and it really registered that this was it! My baby was coming! I was so very happy. A little while longer in the living room and I decided I wanted to get in the water. (We ended up not being able to use our birthing pool because the adapter I bought wasn’t the right size for the sink, so we went into my bath tub) Michelle (one of the awesome assistants) went and started the water running. I was so very impatient to get in, that it was about 1/4 of the way full and I hopped in. It felt so good to be in the water. I remember saying I needed to get out, then sitting right back down. Greg came in and lit some candles and turned out the lights. That helped me so much. Sometime while in the tub, I felt this little “pop”. And I realized that my water must have broke. I let my doula know and somehow word got to Cindi (who was in the next room). During some of these contractions, they had me start bearing down. I remember that feeling so good (although painful). We talked about it and decided to get out of the tub. It was hard to do because the water felt good. I barely got to my bedroom and Cindi had me get on my hands and knees to push. This is where I really remember thinking I couldn’t do this. I know I said it at some point. And Michelle (God bless this woman!!) got next to my face and started talking to me. I remember calming a little bit when she was talking to me. Not much mind you, but I can’t remember the words she said, but I remember how calming her voice was. She was very firm, but yet so soothing at the same time. I know I didn’t always listen to her, but I tried to.

Cindi had me move to next to the bed and squat down. I remember her placing a mirror underneath me so she could see progress. I looked down a couple of times and was discouraged that I saw nothing, baby wasn’t crowning and didn’t appear to be even close. I am not sure how long I was in this position, but at some point Cindi told me to get on the bed and lay on my left side and try to push to see if that would help bring him down. I remember during this time I kept saying I can’t do this over and over. The entire birth team was being so encouraging and trying so hard to get me to understand I could do this. Then Cindi checked me (this is where things went crazy).

Cindi discovered that baby was breech. She was very calm and had me look at her and told me baby was breech. I cannot remember what I said or did at this point. All I remember was having a tunnel vision type moment. everything in the room got very small. All I could think was “Breech? How the hell did this happen? this can’t be happening to me! I can’t have a breech baby!”. I came back to reality to Cindi giving me the option to continue the delivery or go to the hospital. At this point I was scared to death. I knew what going to the hospital meant but yet I was scared to stay home. So I chose the hospital. It took a few minutes to get everything situated ready to go (keep in my at this point it is 2 am and I have 2 sleeping kids). I sent someone down to my friend Becky’s house (who had NO idea I was even in labor and had never met Carnly before) to wake her and have her get my kids. I got in the car with Cindi, Shay, and Michelle and off to Pensacola we went.

The car ride was the most horrible thing I have ever felt in my life. I cried most of the way. During a contraction, the contraction itself didn’t hurt, but the pressure. Oh my god the pressure! I tried so hard not to push because I didn’t want to have Cindi pull over on the side of the road to deliver a breech baby. But my body had a mind of it’s own. My body kept naturally pushing with the pressure. Which again scared the crap out of me. Michelle was in the back seat with just talking to me. At some point, I laid my head either on her or next to her and was just crying. Shay reached around from the front seat to get baby’s heartbeat. The next several minutes were the worst ever. Due to the position of baby, the way I was sitting and the way Shay was trying to reach getting heart tones was very difficult. I remember at one point trying to talk to baby and trying to say “come one baby…it’s ok.” Whether or not those words got out, I don’t know. I never heard the heart tones, however I remember Shay telling Cindi they were in the 140′s (on a side note, I remember thinking “ITS A BOY”…lol). During the car ride, as soon as a contraction would end, I would feel this very weird bump. It almost felt like it was in my vagina. I figured it was just because baby was breech and didn’t worry about it. We arrived at the hospital and Shay grabbed a wheelchair.

The wheel chair ride was an adventure for me. I didn’t want to sit down on my butt because that increased the pressure. I am certain by this point I was probably getting very, very annoying. All I could do is cry and scream in pain and beg for medicine. As much as I wanted a drug free birth, I knew going to the hospital for a breech baby meant a c-section so I didn’t give a **** anymore. I wanted the pain to stop. I couldn’t take it anymore. The pressure was so unbearable the only way to help it was to help my body push. Which I wasn’t supposed to do. I honestly can’t tell you if I continued to push or not. They got me to the L&D floor and into a room.

The nurses at the hospital were working very quickly. Trying to get me undressed and ready. I was anxious about Greg making it. I needed him at that moment more than anything. Everyone kept trying to calm me and get me to relax a little bit while they got my IV in, did a quick ultrasound and a vaginal check to make sure baby was in fact breech (later I found out from the dr. that when he felt on my belly he too thought baby was head down which is why he ordered an ultrasound as well as doing the vaginal check). The first nurse who did a vaginal check said “I felt parts”**(see side note at the end of why this makes sense later) and I found this an odd thing to say. Why not say she felt a butt or legs or feet or something? The dr. did his vaginal exam (which by the way was the most horribly painful thing on the face of this planet! He was very rough about it) and confirmed that baby was breech and started getting me to the O.R.

I got to the O.R. and the anestesiologist was a God send. I have no idea how he managed to get the spinal done so quickly and easily. I was in the middle of a contraction and somehow he got it done. He was fast and efficient. As soon as the spinal was done, I remember things feeling heavy. And I started to relax. I was rolled back on my back and I could lay on my back without the crazy and insane pressure. I realized that my contractions were gone. I was at ease at this point. Nothing mattered to me. Then they brought Greg is. You have no idea the relief I felt when he walked through the door. He sat down and started talking to me. The anestesiologist gave me a shot of Fentenol in my IV and I started feeling like lucy in the sky with diamonds. Greg and I went through the c-section chit-chatting about random things. I can’t even tell you what we talked about. I just remember him talking to me. Then I heard something amazing.
I heard the dr. say baby was out. I heard a nurse say it was 3:29. I wasn’t hearing a cry, so I said “come on baby…make noise baby”. And sure enough I heard a cry. This is when I realized that I still had no idea if I had a baby boy or a baby girl. People were tlaking about baby, but no one was saying he or she or announced anything! So I asked, “What is it?” And with a little bit of shock that I didn’t know I heard someone say “It’s a boy!” I was so excited and happy. Greg got up to go see baby. He came back to report that baby had swallowed a little meconium and was breathing a little rapidly, he had a cyst under his toungue and the foreskin on his penis hadn’t grown over a gland properly. The nurse wrapped baby up and brought him over to see me.

He wasn’t like anything I had ever seen before. I loved him so much and was so happy he was here. Originally his name was supposed to be Bentley. I looked at him and said “Hi baby Bentley”. I immediately made a face. It didn’t sound right. It didn’t fit. We had another name picked out but we weren’t certain yet. Greg and I decided that we would wait for me to be not so loopy before we decided 100%. Later that morning, the pediatrician came to see me. I was delivered some hard news. Baby had some respiratory issues. There was no infection, however after a chest x-ray they found a nemothorax (forgive me if I butchered that spelling, I am too lazy to look up the right spelling…lol). He has a small hole in his lung that leaked some air out next to it. So now, we have to wait for this air to be reabsorbed into the body. I went down that afternoon to see him and I got to hold him. I took one look and knew instantly this was baby Oliver.

**On a side note, I did find out that not only was he breech, but his butt/hips as well as his right foot were trapped in my cervix.

August 16th, 2011, 07:09 PM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
aww congrats!

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
August 17th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
what an amazing story. As painful and traumatic as it must have been, you have quite a story to tell Baby Oliver when he is big. It sounds like you did a fantastic job and your Midwife, Doula and birthing team sound fantastic. I am happy to hear it all worked out well. Your baby is a beautiful little one, and I agree, he is definately not looking like a Bentley...Oliver hands down! Nice work!

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
August 17th, 2011, 04:53 AM
mommytanya's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommytanya
Congrats! Glad dh made it home for the birth...is he home for R and R or is his deployment over?

August 17th, 2011, 05:02 AM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytanya View Post
Congrats! Glad dh made it home for the birth...is he home for R and R or is his deployment over?
He is home for about 4-5 months, then deploys again.

August 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
2nd_Peanut_on_Board's Avatar Super Momma
Congrats mama! What an amazing story! So glad that things are looking up and you now have a beautiful baby boy to hold

August 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM
sarahe210's Avatar Veteran
Congratulations on your baby boy!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

August 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats mama!! What an amazing story!
Baby #2 is on the way!!
August 18th, 2011, 04:49 PM
amycc's Avatar Super Mommy
What an amazing story! I am so glad y'all were able to make it to the hospital, and that both you and baby Oliver are OK. Can't wait to see pics!

August 21st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! Amazing story.
August 21st, 2011, 03:21 PM
mom2moose
WOW!! I gotta say, I hope my birth story is NOTHING like yours. LOL

Congrats on yoru baby boy. And congrats on being so strong to go through all that. Thank God your husband was home in time. And you obviously had a great support team in your doula and midwife. I hope you post pics soon.

I'm sorry that Oliver seems to have some health issues. Hopefully, they will be an easy repair. Good luck mama!!
August 21st, 2011, 09:56 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby boy! Sounds like you had quite the adventure getting him here! Welcome to the "My birth went nothing like it was supposed to" club. I hope you heal quickly and LO is alright. Please KUP on him!

August 28th, 2011, 11:30 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP

What a story thanks for sharing.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 2nd, 2011, 05:53 AM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whoa! What an intense story. I'm so glad that both you and baby Oliver are doing well now. I would have been freaking out! You did so well. I'm sorry it was so painful and scary but the end result is amazing. Great job!
January 14th, 2012, 05:27 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! you have quite a story. glad everyone is okay.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search