Log In Sign Up

Desmond and Jillian's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2011, 03:40 PM
avasmom603's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,019
Man, I hope I remember the details right... LOL! I should have done this right away not over a week later!

On the 9th I headed into the OB's office for my weekly u/s, NST and OB appointment with Ava in her wheelchair in tow. We had the u/s first and all seemed well with the fluid levels, but Desmond's placenta wasn't looking as good. Nothing horrible, but definitely explained why he was starting to lag in his growth. Just something to keep an eye on. Then we were off to the NST. It was the best one yet! They moved great without being buzzed or having to drink anything. They put on a show for them Then, finally, I went to my OB appointment. The nurse took my bp and was like are you feeling ok? I said I was but had a bad headache the day before. My bp was up in the ballpark of 160ish over high 70s. My normal bp non pregnancy is usually no higher than 100/60 and throughout the pregnancy it has not been higher than 120 on top and 70 on bottom. So that was quite a jump from Friday. She had me lay down on my left side for about 15 minutes and took it again. Nothing changed. Did that again and still didn't budge. The doc came in and said he was concerned because of the size of my legs and the sudden increase in bp he was going to run some stat bloodwork. If he didn't like the numbers he wanted to take the beanies that afternoon. As much pain as I was in, and as much as I wanted them out, I didn't get excited because I had a feeling everything was fine. So I went on my way and was waiting for the call. Ava had her tube feed for lunch but I held off on eating my sandwich 'just in case'. Well, when the doc called he said that I had the start of preeclampsia and he wanted to take them out asap. It was about 12:30 and he wanted me there by 1:30. When I hung up the phone I called Ava's old nurse, who is now our friend, to alert her to meet us at the hospital - she was going to sit with Ava while we were in the OR (she needs a nurse or someone with training because of her epilepsy and just overall medical issues), called Manny to come home, ran around packing Ava's toy bag, medicine bag with all of her syringes and feeding pump etc, and grabbed my bag. By the time Manny was home and we packed all the stuff in the van it was around 1:30ish. I got into my room at 2. That's when it just was crazy!!!! He wanted me in the OR by 3:30 and basically it happened. Everything happened so fast and I am so glad it did because I never had a chance to get nervous. I had to have the csection because Desmond never did flip back - he was breech.

In the OR the drugs in the epidural started to hit me and make me feel loopy and a little sick. I was having trouble breathing and talking but trying to stay alert and not let myself go into a panic attack. At 3:50 Jillian was born weighing in at 5 lbs 14 ounces and at 3:51 Desmond was born weighing in at 4 lbs 15 ounces. NO NICU!!! They needed absolutely zero assistance!!! This was so fantastic because this did not happen with Ava and we were sort of expecting it with twins, especially since they were born at 37 weeks. Anywho, I barely had a chance to look at them before we were whisked back to our room for recovery. I thought that was awesome because whenever I can be near Ava it's good... I worry without her. When I got back to the room that's when my health went to crap. It felt like I chugged a bottle of vodka or something. I had the craziest feeling in my head and was soooo nauseous. I must have puked at least five times and wasn't feeling any better. All while they kept asking me if I was ready to breast feed - REALLY? Let me put my puke bag down and breast feed - not going to happen.... So they each had some formula out of a medicine/pill cup. I was so impressed by that. Jillian ate one ounce and Desmond ate 1/2 ounce. After about an hour or so we went to my regular room and they stayed with us. Once I started to feel better I could finally see just how amazing the whole afternoon was. Here I had two healthy, beautiful babies in front of me!!! They did have to take them to the nursery at night though because Manny and Ava did not stay in the room with me - they went home to sleep. They said because of the csection I couldn't have them with me in case they needed assistance and I had to jump up to care for them. Makes sense.

I tried to breast feed for the three days I was in the hospital. I had/have high hopes to EBF but they are two Dyson vacuum cleaners with super duper suction! I ended up cracked and bleeding by Friday and also very upset and spent. I went home with a pump and no real plan in place. I have been offering breast several times a day but have to backup with formula. I have an appointment Sunday with lactation and hopefully I can get back to EBF. They spit up a lot on formula and it breaks my heart to see that. I want them to have my milk since it's the healthiest for them and easy on their tummies.

My recovery has been nothing short of phenomenal. They told me I am a freak of nature at the OB's office lol. They took my epidural out on Weds afternoon and that was the last time I had pain meds. Not even tylenol. Didn't need anything. I was up and moving the next day and by the end of the week didn't even seem like I had a csection. Now that I am home I have to keep reminding myself that I had major surgery.... Other than it being puffy you'd never know I had the surgery. I was so worried about recovery time, but honestly, I am just about 100% right now. I even lifted AVa into her wheelchair twice today (very safely....). So, that along with the super duper fast weight loss they are in awe of me lol. My stomach is still not back to normal but honestly you'd never know I just had a baby, never mind two. I was so not like this with AVa eight years ago. I think it has to do with the working out I did up until my legs couldn't bend...

So, now a week or so out my bp is still high.... My latest blood work shows that my levels are back in the normal range. That makes me a little less nervous about the bp. I go again Tuesday for another check and I am hopeful that it'll be back to normal. My legs are still deflating and I also hope by next week they'll be back to normal. They were so big that it's going to take some time for all of the fluid to leave my system.

I hope I covered everything!


Reply With Quote
August 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,197
Glad the babies are healthy! I hope your bp goes down too Congrats again!

Reply With Quote
August 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,840
Wow, mama! Really enjoyed reading your story.

So thrilled both your babies skipped the NICU! And fabulous recovery! I'm glad you have an appointment with lactation Sunday - I hope they can help you get things back on track! Does either of them latch on at all? How is pumping going?

How aware is Ava of the babies?

Congrats on your babies!

Reply With Quote
August 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
DaniB+4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Union Bridge, MD
Posts: 3,439
All in all it sounds like a big success! Congrats on your double blessings !
Reply With Quote
August 20th, 2011, 03:05 PM
avasmom603's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by Zoostergirl View Post
Wow, mama! Really enjoyed reading your story.

So thrilled both your babies skipped the NICU! And fabulous recovery! I'm glad you have an appointment with lactation Sunday - I hope they can help you get things back on track! Does either of them latch on at all? How is pumping going?

How aware is Ava of the babies?

Congrats on your babies!
They both latch, though very very roughly. They take a while to open their mouths wide enough to latch properly. We are working on that Pumping is awful.. Nothing comes out! UGH. I am bringing the pump with me tomorrow to figure it all out. I am hopeful that it's something simple.

Ava peeked at the twins the first few days out of the sides of her eyes. That's how she takes in anything new - due to her sensory issues. But lately she's been looking at them and laughing when they burp lol!! I think it's awesome that she is actually looking at them and interacting with them. It's more than we hoped for at this point. She even offered one of her toys in her own little Ava way. It melted my heart


Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2012, 11:33 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations! they're adorable.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0