Madelyn's Birth Story :-)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
We were scheduled for a repeat c-section on Thursday, August 11th at exactly 39 weeks, but I thought for sure Maddie would make her appearance before then, no such luck!
On Thursday morning I woke up starving since I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight. I jumped in the shower and washed my tummy with some weird, pink, sticky "hibicleanse" antimicrobial wash the hospital gave me to use on that morning. It was weird not having Zach there, he slept over my moms house because we had an early morning and a long day ahead of us.
We left the house at 5:45am and stopped for DH's coffee and breakfast, and arrived at the hospital at 6am. We went to the admitting office, signed some papers, got a bracelet, and were brought upstairs to room 151 which was waiting for us. The first thing they did was put Peanut on the monitor, her heartbeat sounded great and I could feel her wiggling around in there The nurse started my IV with just fluids at first and I just sat there with George and chatted. Around 6:45am the nurse came in and put in a catheter...oh..my..goodness. The most uncomfortable thing EVER. I was MISERABLE for the next 45 minutes, it felt awful! Oh man, I was so pissy after that, I couldn't wait to get to the OR and get my spinal! The anesthesiologist came in and talked to us, she was awesome, very straight forward, and sympathetic to my concerns. I decided to opt out of the astromorph (morphone in the spinal) after talking to her. Its pain relief for 24 hours after surgery, but also comes with all the morphine side effects...for the 24 hours. All the nurses thought I was nuts..but honestly, I think i made a good choice! I didn't feel groggy after delivery, I remember just about everything, and I didn't get the weird, shaky, fogged out, gross feeling that I had with Zachary's c-section.
At about 7:30 my doctor came in and said lets go!! We're ready for you! I walked into the OR and got up on the bed, held the nurses hand and got my spinal. The numbing medicine only felt like a bee sting, and I didn't feel anything else but pressure when she did the actual spinal. Within 30 seconds I'd say, my whole lower body from the boobs down got really warm and tingly and by one minute I couldn't feel ANYTHING, they told me to lay down and swing my legs up, and I couldn't because I was numb lol, they had to do it for me. DH was brought in at that point I laid down and felt a little nausea, so the anesthesiologist gave me something through IV and I felt better. I believe it was 7:42 that the first cut was made. It felt like forever from that point. I just talked with DH, I remember being happy and joking. We asked the anesthesiologist how close we were and she said that we'll hear lots of "liquidy suction" from the vaccuum thingy lol. No sooner did she say that, we heard it, and I felt tons of pressure almost like someone had grabbed ahold of my ribs on both sides and was pulling them out. At 7:57am Madelyn Lee was born She weighed 8lbs even and was 19.5 inches long. Head was 13 1/4, and chest was 13 1/2 I immediately started to cry, and so did DH. She cried a few times in the first minute then they got her all suctioned and she started screaming Her apgars were 9 and 9! DH went with her to the nursery while I got all stitched up. They had to cut a little above my old incision I was told but other than that everything went well. I got to my room and was bothered by the fact that I couldn't move my legs at first lol, but I got over it. They brought her to my room for some skin to skin for a good couple hours. It was just me, DH and our baby girl, just like I wanted it to be. Around 10, we called my mom with the news and it spread quickly. Visitors held off just like we wanted them to and gave us lots of time to enjoy our new baby and take everything in. Zachary came with my mom and grandma a little after noon. He was BEYOND excited. He came into the room asking to see my belly and if Peanut was out, I told him LOOK, shes out and directed him to the bassinet she was sleeping in, and he jumped up and down and squealed, he was SO excited!
At around 8pm I was helped out of bed to the bathroom to wash up a bit. I had a lot of bleeding in the hospital the first night, and had pain meds through IV. That night around 1am that stupid catheter was bugging me SOOO badly, I had them remove it and I was able to get in and out of bed as I wanted/needed. I ate real food that night surprisingly too!
Recovery has been rough. I have had a fever on and off, lots of body aches and bleeding had tapered off but now on day 10 is heavy again. Hoping to feel better soon.
Madelyn has been wonderful so far. Breastfeeding was very difficult for us. She was put on a soy formula in the hospital and we stuck with that. She now eats 2-2.5oz about every 3 hours, and for the past 4 days, shes slept between 6-8 hour stretches at night already ((knock on wood)). In the hospital she was a little jaundice. We were discharged on Sunday the 14th and went to the pedi on the 15th for a checkup. She was 7lbs 7oz at discharge and 7lbs 6oz at the pedi the next day. We brought her back Thursday for her one week checkup and she had gone up to 7lbs 9oz, so shes gaining well.
Well, I think thats about it for now. Here's a picture of the little princess, fresh out of the tummy, at the hospital, and a going home pic

and i thought it would be fun to include one of my last belly pics at 38w3d....its SO weird to think about how she fit in there

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

August 22nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
January 16th, 2012, 11:26 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations hon, she's beautiful!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search