Matilda's waterbirth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2011, 01:53 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
After Maica's birth I suffered from quite a bit of trauma, at the time I just got on with it, it was afterwards it really hit me that I didnt get anything that I wanted. It was a snowball of intervention which ended in a beautiful but screaming bruised baby, who cried from then onwards for quite a while. The mark on her face from the forceps could be seen for weeks and the guilt in my head and heart lasted a good deal longer... to this day in fact.

I knew second time around it had to be different and before we'd even conceived or thought about it, I'd set about doing things differently, starting with a trip to my GP to talk things over. She then referred me to the consultant obstiatrician. I waited a year for this appointment by which time I was already pregnant.

The appointment itself was a bit pointless, if not insulting, I waited 2 hours in the waiting room for a ten minute appointment in which he looked at my notes and told me I'd had a 'routine' forceps delivery and I could have whatever birth I wanted this time around and off you go type thing. It was a waste of time and my midwife had already said all that anyway. Except the 'routine forceps delivery' which I took as the most heartless thing he could have said to someone traumatised by their experience, yes, Mr Consultant, routine for you not for me!

The next thing to do was to prepare myself for the birth. I did this with alot of reading positive stories. I knew how birth could be, and that is what I wanted, not for me, but for my daughter. I didn't want to see another forceps mark on my baby's face. To me it felt like I'd failed doing that one thing that I should be able to do, push out a baby.

We took a waterbirth class, Oscar was pretty unimpressed with the size of the pool, and made sure I knew about it. The class was informative though, and I'm glad we did it.

I toured the local maternity units and the hospital with my midwife friend to see where I wanted to go, but the local one was literally a minute down the end of our road so there was no question really, nomatter what Oscar thought of the pool!

I have a good friend I met at Uni who came over to teach me some breathing, and some yoga. It was a lovely afternoon with her, so helpful.

My step dad Harry then gave me some hypnotherapy as well.

My friend Michaela hoped she'd be on duty and able to switch to deliver the baby, she was my midwife for Maica and we'd become good friends.

And finaly two very good far away friends threw me a blessing way. I think its the most special thing anyone has ever done for me, aprox 30 women wore/kept a red ribbon bracelet, cut from the same long peice of ribbon, some sent flags and beads, many sent cards too and thoughts, support and love poured onto my facebook page. It filled my heart so much. I'm so thankful to Sarah and Vikki for doing this for me, as all the positivity must have had an impact on her birth.

By the end of the pregnancy, I'd had enough, I was tired, achy and big. My underlying fear was that i'd have to be induced so I kept as active as I could, took evening primrose oil three times a day and raspberry leaf capsules as many times a day I remembered to! My due date came and went, and the dreaded induction word came up and I thought that was the road I was headed for. On the 27th I went in for my appointment, 3 days overdue and miserable, and was offered a sweep which I accepted, anything to get things going.

On checking me my midwife was suprised, She let the student midwife, Beth, give me a sweep and take a go at measuring how far dilated I was, and told me I didn't need to worry about anything. Well, she was right because I was already 4 cms dilated. I was pretty pleased with that as I got to five with Maica and needed an epidural, so I'd almost missed half my labour already.

She said I wouldn't make my appointment for next week if I didnt go that night after the sweep.

We went for a walk that evening, had a takeaway as our 'last' meal, fully expecting to wake in the night with contractions. it was a strange sense of excitement and anticipation. A sweep had started me off with Maica.

But alas, the night came and went, as did another, and another. The end of July, sunday the 31st, came, and an August baby she was destined to be! The last day of July, 7 days overdue, we took a trip to car boot sale, and walked home, I more than walked, I strolled home the 2ish miles, and sort of 'knew' that it wouldn't be much longer after that. I took a nap that afternoon.

We went to bed fairly early, and I was woken with a contraction at 1.30am. another one came about 3 or so minutes later, and I got up and used the Loo and wondered if this was it. logged into facebook (well of course!) and sat and wondered, between the big contractions I was getting back pain, and soon the contractions were just back pains, nothing at front at all.

They were coming every 3-4 minutes and I figured that this was definately it, I texted my Mum to be on standby, and went to have a bath, after waking Oscar, who went back to sleep for a while longer.

The bath relaxed me and I washed my hair between contractions, and even attempted to shave my legs, what I could reach! I stayed in for as long as I could, after about an hour I got out and the contractions had slowed a little. I figured it was the bath that had done that.

I called the coordinator and she said as shes my second baby I should go in as it could be faster. I ment to confirm that the pool was free and hoped it would be! I called Michaela who said she'd do what she could to be there but there wasnt any cover for her to come, she was really upset about that.

I lit the birthing candle Vikki had sent (and forgot to blow it out when we left!)

My Mum and Harry arrived at about 4am, we woke Maica and packed her into the car to deliver her to my sister, and set off, having about 4 contractions on the way. Maica settled easily with my sister (though didn't go back to sleep!) and we went to the birth center, Harry dropped us off - me, my mum and oscar.

The security guy took an age to get to the door. an AGE.

The Midwife greeted me and laughed at my car sponge, asked if i was going to do some cleaning! The sponge was a comfort object though as well as something I had craved in pregnancy to chew on. She took me to the water babies room (Thank goodness, I was so relieved it was free!) and did a check on me, I was already 7cms dilated! That was a good feeling, I knew I could do it as I'd got that far already.

She started running the pool, and oscar pushed on my hips to ease the back pain a little. I stripped down to my maternity bra and got in.
The water was heavenly. The weightlessness was lovely and my contractions slowed down a bit. As they came I had to concentrate on my breathing and used the 'breathing over the top' of the contractions that Lee taught me and it really worked. I found if I breathed normally I felt it more but the little breaths just helped me keep on top of the pain.

As the contractions got more intense I used the hypnotherapy techniques of blowing away blue balloons. between contractions I imagined myself to be in spain in one of the natural parks we visited often, under the oak tree leaves. crazy hippy I am

Time seemed to drag, between contractions I felt so bored! As they intensified I changed positions, tried laying belly down, on my knees, but nothing really felt comfortable or any better.

As she descended the pressure was all in my bum, sitting was so uncomfortable so I leaned back more with my feet on the edge.

At each contraction I begged for my waters to go becuase the pressure on my bladder and bum was so intense I was so worried I was damaging my bladder in each contraction.

by about 8amish I asked for some gas and air, which didn't do much for the pain relief really. the contractions were coming one on top of another, thankfully the second of each slightly less intense than the first, it almost felt like a relief in that way. The midwife changeover happened and I opened my eyes to see Beth, the student midwife who'd been doing my antenatals. I was so happy to see her, knowing that she'd had 4 children of her own gave me a glimmer to keep going. I heard them say I wanted to catch the baby but I knew by this point I wouldn't be able to, I said to Oscar either him or my mum had to do it.

The rest is a blur, my body knew started to push, and it felt like forever, I thought my waters had gone but I think she must have just shifted a bit, because next the sac began to balloon out, I got to feel it, and the next contraction her head was out, still inside her sac. They showed me in the mirror between the contractions, I can just see it in my head now but at the time I couldn't make much sense of it. she was facing oscar at the side of the pool, ear up. Oscar said she looked like an astronaut inside the membrane. Lucky girl born in the caul.

Oscar took off his top and got ready, and they said I had to push her out as she was wanting to breathe, the next contraction my body just pushed and she swum out! Oscar put his hands in and caught her, and handed her to me. 8.44am on the 1st August 2011.

We spent 2o minutes in the pool attached together. By then the pains for the placenta were getting intense and I had had enough, Beth clamped the cord and Oscar cut it. Oscar had his first skin to skin contact while I got out of the pool and delivered the placenta with the injection. I then got an hour of skin to skin with her before I needed stitches. They showed me the placenta, something I wanted to see with Maica and they wouldn't let me. It was interesting but smaller than I imagined.

Matilda weighed in at 9lbs 11oz, would have been more except she did a huge poo on the way to the scales!! That was a shock and a half, I was expecting about 8lb 6oz like Maica was. She really didn't look that big! Shes amazing though.

It all feels very different to Maica's early days. I feel like some kind of mother earth goddess like I've done the most amazing thing in the world, given birth to this amazing baby all by myself. caught by my husband, just incredible. Theres no guilt or sadness, I've bonded so much better, I have much more milk, its just amazing.

and here I shall end this finaly! Matilda Felicity Dawn. A little sister for Maica Poppy Elvira. born on a monday, the first of august, the weather was sunny. 8.44am. into her papas hands. so amazing.

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!

Last edited by mamatomaica; August 22nd, 2011 at 01:57 AM.
August 22nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
What a beautiful story! I teared up reading it. I am SO glad that you could have this healing experience. Congrats to you!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
September 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a fabulous birth and story. I love it!! Congratulations! I love the last two lines, so beautiful. And i adore her name!

Thank you CupcakeJamie for my beautiful siggy!

January 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
what a great story! congratulations! she's beautiful.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search