Log In Sign Up


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2011, 05:21 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,874
The birth of Michael

My pregnancy with baby #2 went very smoothly. We were overjoyed to be pregnant with our second child and since there were aspects of giving birth in a hospital that I was not happy with, we decided towards the end of my first trimester to use a midwife and birth center. I loved having more personalized care and looked forward to my upcoming birth. I decided to again use the Hypnobabies homestudy program to prepare for labor and delivery.

"Skippyjon" (baby's nickname) was due on August 12, though I expected I would go earlier since I had my first son at 38w6d. I started having just a few real contractions here and there on August 7 and 8, but nothing that was ever consistent or frequent. August 9, we went out for a belated birthday dinner for my mother-in-law. I hadn't had any contractions that day. That evening, baby was doing his dance party in my belly and I got some good video of my belly jumping all over the place. (Maybe my subconcious "knew" that he would be born the next day and so I needed to enjoy those last moments of pregnancy). I finally got to sleep around 1:00 or 1:30 a.m. but through the night I kept waking about every hour with a contraction. They weren't bad, just enough for me to wake, go to the bathroom and then go back to bed. I really woke up about 6:30 a.m. and it finally dawned on me that it had been contractions waking me up throughout the night and that I could be in labor. I laid in bed to see if I had any more, which I did, and they were about 7-8 minutes apart. I got up and started gathering a few things together, then at 7:00 a.m. I went to go wake up David. He was upstairs in the guest room with Matthew, because Matthew had had a rough night sleeping. I woke him and he looked at me and whispered, "Baby time?" and I nodded yes. David took a shower while I gathered some more things like the cameras and such. I was timing contractions with an app on his phone. I called my mom to let her know I was pretty sure this was it and she could start getting ready to drive over here. I also called my midwife and asked her how she felt about having a baby today! She said she was already on her way over to the birth center, because there was a first time mom who had been in labor there since last night (using one of the other midwives). I was worried because I knew I was in the "backup" room and I thought I wouldn't be able to have the birth tub. I found out a little later that they had another tub they were setting up in the prenatal care room for me. (Yay!) I took a shower as well and we waited until maybe 8:00 or so to call my mother in law to ask her to come watch Matthew. David went out for kolaches for breakfast and my mother-in-law got over to our house. I was talking to her between contractions (and even during some) and still gathering stuff. We kept waiting for Matthew to wake up so David could get his stuff from upstairs without waking him but finally he snuck up there and got everything since we wanted to leave. I was sad that I didn't get to hug and kiss Matthew before we left, one last time as my only child. But I didn't want to wake him up, because I was afraid he would be super grouchy and we'd have to leave while he was upset.

We finally left the house around 10:15 or so, a little later than I wanted, but we kept thinking of more stuff we needed to do/pack and my mother-in-law kept talking to me about random stuff for some reason. I texted my midwife so she could start filling the birth tub. I got David to put on my Hypnobabies birthing affirmations CD in the car so I could listen to that. Contractions were now probably 4-5 minutes apart. I was having to concentrate and breathe through each one since they were stronger. David started wanting to talk about baby names again and I tried, but part of me like was like SERIOUSLY, it is too late now, we'll just have to decide for sure after he arrives. We were already leaning towards Michael, but still not sure if maybe he should be Daniel. (David just now told me that we were already pretty set on Michael in the car, but that I was telling him we needed to wait and look at him once he was born.)

We got to the birth center around 10:50. I got in and my midwife checked me and said I was already 5-6 cm. I was surprised! David turned on Hypnobabies again and had it playing the Easy Birthing Stage 1 CD. They were still filling the birth tub and at this point my contractions were getting very intense. They were about 3 minutes apart and it was hard to get things done like changing clothes or whatever in the little time between them. I was still breathing through them and handling them well though, and it felt good to stand and just lean into David during a contraction and he would rub my back. Finally I got into the birth tub around 11:15 and I felt better. The water felt great. However I only had one contraction in the tub and then on the 2nd contraction I immediately felt this super strong urge to push. I told my midwife and she checked me while I was in the water and said I was 9 + cm! Just a tiny bit of cervix left and she said if I would bear down just a tiny bit it would be gone. I was amazed I was already complete! I feel like I handled transition like a rock star! My midwife said if I wanted a land birth I needed to get out NOW and I agreed. I knew if I was in the water for the next contraction I would not be able to control it and would start pushing. I would have stayed in there, but water birth made David too nervous, so I had agreed that I would give birth on the bed. We went into the other room and got me set up. David was so good and had turned on the pushing stage of Hypnobabies, but it was bugging me and I asked him to turn it off. He also set up the video camera but unfortunately we realized later that the towel I used to dry off with after getting out of the tub was hung on the bed rail and blocked the view of everything. So you can hear him being born but not see it.

My midwife checked me again and I was 10. I was kind of in a reclined position on the bed and started pushing. It seemed harder than I remembered and I was yelling during the pushing. I later realized what was different about my two birth experiences. With Matthew I was likely complete for some time before they would check me and I was holding back from pushing for some time. That is probably in part why transition was so horrible for me, because I was actually complete. But due to that, when it was time to push, Matthew just shot out of there so fast. This time I started pushing right when I hit 10 cm. Though it seemed like a long time, I only pushed 12 minutes.

The position I was in wasn't feeling good to me, so they had me go more kind of on my side. I was pushing and I know at one point I pooped and they had to wipe the poop away. Yikes, haha. But at least I knew that was normal. After 5 minutes or so, my water broke and gushed out everywhere. There was a little meconium in there. I was asking if they could see the baby's head and once they told me not yet and maybe a contraction later they said they could see it. I could definitely feel it when he crowned and I felt the "ring of fire" this time...really painful. I got his head out and then on the next contraction the rest of his body slid out. They immediately placed him on my chest and started to rub him down a little with a towel. He started crying and I was SO thrilled to have him in my arms. I thought he was beautiful and was just so happy...I think I got some of that "birth high" this time. )

His Apagar was 9 at 1 minute and a 10 at 5 minutes. Even though there had been meconium in my amniotic fluid, he was doing fine so the midwives weren't concerned. David was wanting me to nurse him right away because he was crying, haha. I think he actually said "stick your nipple in his mouth and see if he'll suck". Literally about 5 minutes after he was born, my mom got there. She *just* missed it. I think later she wished that she had skipped one of her bathroom breaks! She said when she got there she heard a baby crying and she had hoped it was the other woman's baby and that mine wasn't already there. But it was still special that she was there so soon afterwards and she stepped into her picture taking role. I waited maybe 10 minutes or so after he was born and then he nursed for the first time. He took to it really well. Around that time the cord had stopped pulsing and David cut the cord...even though he had said he didn't want to, he wound up doing it. My midwife directed me to give a few pushes and I delivered the placenta. Later she was showing it to us and apparently mine was fairly big, nice and healthy. She said she could tell from it that I'd had good nutrition during my pregnancy. I was a little shaky right after giving birth, so they had me sipping gatorade to get some sugar in me and help with that.

Things got a little calmed down and then we started talking about baby names. We were still debating Michael versus Daniel. I looked at him and just couldn't fathom him ever being called Dan. But Michael seemed right.

One of the office staff went out and picked up lunch for everyone. I wasn't all that hungry but had some homemade chicken pot pie. Then it was time for the newborn exam. I was surprised to hear that he weighed 8 lb, 6 oz! I was expecting around 8 lb, so he was bigger than I thought. He was 20.5 inches long. He checked out fine on everything. He was pretty alert at this time and David and my mom enjoyed holding him while I got stitched up. I tore pretty much the same as I did last time, all the way back but superficially, maybe a first degree in one small area and it only needed just a few stitches. I was wishing I didn't have to deal with it though, because I wanted to hold my boy! Soon though, it was time for us to go take our herbal bath. I got in first and got cleaned up and then they gave me Michael. He wasn't sure about the water at first but then he seemed to relax a little in there. We washed him off with some baby soap, which I wasn't totally crazy about, but at least it got off all the goop. His vernix was kind of yellowy from the meconium.

We went back to our room and got Michael dressed in his going home outfit, a little sleeper with bear feet on it. I wasn't expecting to have such a hot natured baby, so that sleeper came off as soon as we got home! We headed to our house around 4:30 or so, 5 hours after I gave birth. We got settled in and I LOVED being able to go home so quickly. I felt much more rested than at the hospital.

Overall, I have to say I loved my birth experience. I feel really good about how I handled labor and happy that I had another natural birth! Doing it the second time was way easier than the first and I feel like the pain level I experienced was never unmanageable. I also felt that I bonded right away with Michael. The first few days at home were just blissful. I am so lucky to have my sweet boy.


Last edited by ShannonMVT; November 29th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2011, 07:05 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 5,518
What a wonderful birth story!!! I'm so glad things went so well for you, thanks for sharing. Love his hair, he is adorable.
Reply With Quote
August 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,318
*** Popping in from PAL**

He is just gorgeous Shannon!! Congrats to you!
Reply With Quote
January 16th, 2012, 10:44 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations. he's so cute! glad it all went so well for you!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0