Allison Reine's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
So we had been planning for me to go into the hospital on the morning of Saturday the 27th, but as of the check on Friday morning, my cervix was still high, firm and closed, so Dr. M decided to have me to into the hospital at 8:30pm on Friday to start some cytotec.

I went with my husband, mother and kids to the zoo to see if walking around would help things. I didn't get any particular contractions or anything so I wasn't very hopeful.

At about 6pm I got a call from the hospital saying that they didn't have room for me to come in at 8:30 so I needed to call back to see what was going on. At 10pm they were confident to have everything cleared the way they wanted by midnight, so midnight it was. I was tired, but very glad that I didn't have to wait any longer.
We got in and got settled. My nurse checked me and I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced, so walking at the zoo had helped a little. I got my IV in and my first dose of cytotec by 1 am and it was time to sleep a little.

Around 5 am I woke up and the nurse checked me and gave me my 2nd dose of cytotec. I was only 1.5cm dilated, but 60% effaced and "very very soft." She was happy with my progression. I went back to sleep

Just before 10 they checked me again, and I was 2-3cm and 80% effaced. My nurses & doctor were happy enough with my progression to start pitocin instead of giving me another dose of cytotec. I was happy about that. After the pitocin of course the contractions were starting to get painful.

At noon Dr. M came in. Allison was still very high, so she wanted to break my water to see if that would have her descend. I was a "solid 3" at that point, which was disappointing to me since it wasn't that much progression. After that, of course, the contractions started becoming a lot more intense. I was hoping to not get the epidural until I was more than 4cm dilated, but I was getting to the point where they were bringing tears to my eyes and were getting very hard to breathe through, so I decided that the epidural would be the best choice for me. The anesthesiologist got in quickly and was amazing, and by 1:45 it was in and had started to take affect, and I dozed off during some HGTV show. I don't even remember what show it was.

My nurse decided to check me again at 2:30. She said I was 4cm, but 100% effaced and very stretchy. She could also tickle Allison's head, so the best progress was that Allison had started to descend. I dozed off again after she left.

By 4:30, Allison's heart rate was starting to dip a little bit more they liked during contractions, so they wanted me on oxygen. After a few minutes, Allison was looking happier, and my nurse said that she was going to come back at 5pm because she would bet by the look of my contractions there would be significant progress and she was determined that I would deliver before she went offshift at 7. She came back at 4:50, admitting to being a bit antsy. I was 8cm at that point, but she could stretch me to almost to 10. At that point she and my other nurse decided I should try to turn sides to see if it was Allison's position that was keeping her from descending fully and dilating my cervix like it should. Not only that but her heart rate was acting up again, and turning might help with that. After about 15 minutes she must have shifted because the contractions suddenly were a LOT of downward pressure that was very painful in spite of the epidural. When I was checked, she'd engaged and was getting lower, so they were kind of frantic about calling Dr. M.

It only took pushing through 3 contractions to get her crowning, and one more to deliver her head. At that moment Dr. M. told me to stop pushing because she needed to cut the cord, and that Allison was posterior. I was surprised by the posterior, not expecting her to have turned that way! NOT pushing when your body is trying to is hard, and I had to wait through 2 contractions, but one more and she was born! Oh her scream was the most beautiful thing.

It turns out, Matt told me today, that I had to stop pushing because the cord was actually wrapped twice around Allison's neck. I'm really glad that I didn't know that at the time! But she's safe and healthy and that's all that matters.

Last edited by Brittanie; June 20th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
August 28th, 2011, 10:31 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Sounds like a pretty good birth experience! You look amazing for just have given birth.
August 28th, 2011, 11:00 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
So glad she is here. Yeah with Linda they didn't tell me until after that her cord was around her neck. Freaked me out.
She is just precious!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 29th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I now have a daughter!!!
You're glowing! So glad everything went so smoothly!

August 29th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Popping in fro Nov DDC and PAL. Very awesome story. That's scary about the cord, but I can see why it was good you didn't know that at the time. Very lucky, indeed.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

August 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
** Popping in from PAL***
Congrats Brittanie!!! Allison is beautiful!
August 30th, 2011, 09:10 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Great birth story. I'm glad she arrived safe and sound. It's always better to hear about things AFTER the baby is safe and sound. Congratulations!

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
August 30th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your birth story with us. You look great for just having a baby. Your daughter is too cute !!!

September 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yayyy Brittanie!!!! So happy for you and the family!!!! You did so good!!!

I think she looks like her daddy!

January 16th, 2012, 07:39 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! your kids are all gorgeous.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search