Log In Sign Up

Ridley's Birth Story! (finally! LOL)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,900
Send a message via Yahoo to laceymm888
It has been CRAZY around here so I'm just now getting to write this but here it is! I'm sure I missed some things and it's a little scatter brained but it's what I have for now

Ridleyís Birth Story

Iíll start with a little back story. At 32 weeks I was diagnosed with pregnancy induced hypertension and was taken out of work and put on modified bed rest. I had to monitor my blood pressure several times a day and take medicine (labetalol) to help control it. It did okay but we had to increase it a couple of times in order to manage it efficiently enough. I also started seeing the doctor weekly and doing weekly non-stress tests and biophysical profiles to check to make sure the baby was developing okay and not under distress. On August 8 (34w5d) I was sent to labor and delivery again for high blood pressure and was put on strict bed rest. I could only be up for showers, bathroom and meals. At this point we were made aware of the fact that I would probably be induced between 37-38 weeks as long as nothing crazy happened.
On August 17 I realized that I had probably been having reactions to my blood pressure medicine that I previously did not associate to the meds. I was having chest discomfort and trouble breathing especially when I was lying down. I was also really lethargic but I attributed to his position and just the end of pregnancy normalness. When I took my last dose the night before I started feeling worse and thatís when it hit me that the meds may be causing it. When I looked up side effects that was one of the severe side effects and I also realized some of the other symptoms were caused by the meds too (stuffy nose, tingling scalp, extreme tiredness etc.). I had an appointment to see my dr the next day so I stopped taking them and would talk to her then.
On August 18 (Thursday) I went to the doctor and my blood pressure was high (160/100) AND I showed protein in my urine on the dipstick. Up until this point I had always had a negative result and in the course of a week went from negative to +2. She decided to admit me to the hospital to do another 24 hour urine test (I had already done a couple at this point to rule out pre-eclampsia) and she told me that if my numbers were over 300 (indicating mild pre-eclampsia) then I would be in the hospital until the baby was born. She also changed my blood pressure medicine to procardia. The week before I had done the test and my numbers were 188. This time it was 902. Still mild pre-e but I had to be admitted and monitored. We repeated the 24 hr urine Saturday-Sunday and did lab work Sunday morning. My blood work came back normal but my protein had increased again to 1131. The plan at this point was to induce me starting Monday night with a cervical ripener (cytotec) and start pitocin Tuesday morning.
Monday night FINALLY arrived and the process began. They look blood, hooked up an IV and started the cytotec at around 8pm. I was to have another dose around 11pm and then 2am as long as my body and the baby were reacting okay to it. After the second dose I had some pretty intense contractions for about an hour and I got up to use the restroom and they stopped and did not come back. I didnít have any reaction to the third dose. Tuesday morning Dr. White came in to check me and while I did get softer, I had not dilated much (almost 2cm). At about 8:30am she inserted a foley bulb to help dilate me and started pitocin. The foley fell out a couple hours later and when she came to check me around 1pm I was dilated to a 4 so she decided to break my water. We were making progress!! Sometime in the next couple of hours I dilated to a 5 and got an epidural. The pain was not terrible but I was contracting every 1-1.5 minutes and could not focus on anything else. I was SO glad I made that choice because I felt amazing afterwards. At around 5 the babyís heart rate started showing decels so they had to stop the pitocin for a little bit and wait to see if his heart rate evened out. Once it did they started pitocin again and we were waiting for doctor to come and check me. She came in around 7:30 or so and I was still dilated to a 5 and it was obvious I was not making any progress. She thought that the babyís head was crooked and not putting the right pressure on my cervix to dilate it. My blood pressure was going up and he was showing decels so at this point we decided it was best to go for a c-section. I was really scared because I did NOT want a c-section at all. But, at this point it was best for me and baby so I decided to go ahead with it.
I was being wheeled to the operating room right around 8pm. They pushed more drugs into my epi to help numb me and got started. Shortly after they got started I felt pain. Not tugging, but burning, searing pain. I tell them this and they ask to make sure itís really pain and when I tell them it is, they push more pain meds into my epidural. Within a couple of minutes it is apparent that they are not working because Iím still yelling in pain so they push meds into my IV. Those donít work (or donít work well/fast enough) because Iím STILL feeling pain. At this point the anesthesiologist tells me that the baby is almost here but if I want him to he will put me out. I tell him no I donít want to be put out and just endure the rest of the time.
Ridley was born at 8:18pm on August 23, 2011. When I first heard him cry I tried to cry too but I was so out of it I couldnít even cry. They showed him to me and took him to the warmer to get weighed and measured. He weighed 6 pounds 5 oz and was 19.5 inches long. David went out with him while I was getting put back together. By that point the pain meds had started to kick in some because I wasnít in nearly as much pain and I donít remember them stapling me at all. I was wheeled out to recovery where I got to see Ridley again and after a few minutes I felt okay enough to hold him just for a minute. I couldnít believe it had really happened. He was here. I was so messed up on pain meds that I didnít feel an immediate connection with him and that bothered me so much. They told me that he was breathing fast (not uncommon with early/csection babies) so they had to take him to the nursery to monitor him for a while.
At 10:45 or so I was taken out of recovery and up to my room. My family that was there got to see Ridley for a second as he passed by to the nursery and then they came to join me in my room for a few minutes before heading home. They did not bring Ridley to my room until 12:20am and it was only then when I really started bonding with him. I was completely and totally in love and still could not believe that I was a mommy! While things definitely did not go as I would have liked them to, we both made it out of the whole ordeal safe and healthy. I donít think I could ask for anything better. We stayed in the hospital until Friday and finally got to go home to start our lives as a new family.

Ridley Matthew: Born August 23, 2011 weighing 6 pounds 5 oz and 19.5 inches long

Reply With Quote
September 1st, 2011, 02:41 AM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,296
i have that sam outfit in orange!congrats!

Reply With Quote
September 1st, 2011, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,661
He is a cutie pie, mama! I hope that you are healing well. Congrats!

Reply With Quote
September 1st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,153
Congratulations! Sorry you had such a rough time. I had the same thing happen with my first c-section (started feeling it halfway through). That was not fun. Glad everyone is ok!
Reply With Quote
September 2nd, 2011, 05:17 AM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,164
I'm sorry you had to end up in c-section and that you felt so much of the pain! But I'm so glad to hear that you and Ridley are doing well now. He's so precious!!
Reply With Quote
September 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,671
Congratulations. My gosh on your birth story, though. That is like a nightmare to me being able to feel what's going on during a c-section. Grateful things turned out ok for you and baby.

Reply With Quote
January 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations! what a cute smile he has.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0