Cole's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Blueydmom2004
I had an appointment at the dr's on Tuesday August 16th at 10 a.m. I set the alarm for 7 so I could get a shower in before we had to get the kids up, fed, and rady to go along with us. I felt weird when I got up and just thought it was because I didn't sleep well and remembered waking up twice due to contractions. I sat on the couch and kinda dosed in and out for about 30 minutes. I then went back to our room and started waking DH up and told him, "I think we're gonna have a baby today." He just made a noise and turned over saying yeah right. So I went on towards the bathroom with my stuff for my shower but when I went to the bathroom I had bloody show. I called my mom to let her know what was going on and put our last minute stuff in my hospital bag. Then I realized that every couple minutes I felt like something was leaking from down there.

So then we decided that we shouldn't wait until my appointment and headed up the dr's office...which is conveniently located in the hospital. I went in to the office while DH and the kids finished their breakfast. I was too excited and didn't think to grab me breakfast...I paid for it later. But the dr took me right back and told me I was dilating and that my water had broken. Rather then walk to L&D, DH insisted on driving me becuase it was clear across the hospital.

Once I was set-up in L&D (with DH running the kids in and out of the room to avoid seeing me getting checked and seeing the IV get put in and calling our Mom's) the nurse asked what contractions was I feeling because I was having them every 3 minutes but was only feeling them like every 10 or so. I kept having the nurse check me to see if I was progressing but I stayed at 2-3 cm for a while. Thankfully we had MIL come and get the kids because they would have been so bored. DD didn't want to leave me but finally agreed to go when we all convinced her that she would get to come right back as soon as the baby started coming.

Around noon the dr came in and checked me but I hadn't progressed any so she told me she thought I should go ahead and get my epidural since I was starting to get uncomfortable and if still nothing then she was going to start pitocin slowly. After I got my epi I sent DH out to go and get some lunch since he got a little woozy during the epi from hunger. This was also when I realized I should have ate even a biscuit or something because I was getting very tired and weak from hunger myself. The kind nurse let me have a popcicle and sip on a sprite...before with my other 2 pregnancies the nurses told me I couldn't have anything but ice chips. But then I know the nurse was aggravated a little because I refused for them to start the pitocin until after DH got back just in case just a little bit pushed me into full blown labor super fast. I started to get really worried because I could still feel pressure at the peaks on the contractions on my right side. It felt like a little stitch in my side where it was hard to catch my breath. I started to get all upset thinkning that something was wrong with the epi. But the nurse and dr told me that as long as I didn't feel pain then it was working fine.

It took a couple of pitocin increases every 15 minutes through the IV, but around 4:30pm I was at an 8 and I could feel the pressure building and urge starting to come on to push. I pushed for what felt like FOREVER...but was only about an hour. This was when I really really aware that I should have ate something before coming to the hospital. I got so weak and tired near the end. DH told me that he was afraid I was going to have to have a c-section because I was having trouble getting the energy to push, but then my second wind cut in and I pushed him out in 15 minutes.

Cole Alexander was born at 6:18 p.m. (of course right after they stop serving dinner) He surprisingly weighed 8lbs. 5oz. and was 19 3/4 inches long. He had a head full of hair that hasn't appeared to fall out any. At 6:20 p.m. he got his first nickname by me...fathead. But of course I meant it with all the love in the world...and he got that name due to the fact that his head got stuck on my pelvic bone. Hes such a sweet baby and his big sister and brother are so in love that I have to beat them away with sticks.
January 16th, 2012, 09:47 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations on your little boy!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search