Log In Sign Up

Kaylee Karen Arthur's Birth Story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Posts: 3,094
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
I went to bed on August 17, 2011, feeling nothing! No contractions, no pain, no nothin! As some of you may remember by my last post, I was feeling discouraged that day thinking that the baby was never going to come and that she was just tricking me and getting me excited for nothing!

That night, every time I woke up I was feeling a pain in my belly (and it was bad!) but I just kept falling back asleep. By six that morning (the 18th) I was still feeling them, and when I tried to get back to sleep I couldn't! Finally I realized that I had had three in the half hour I was trying to fall back asleep, so I decided to start timing them. By 7:00 when Kyle's alarm for work went off, they were about seven minutes apart lasting around 45 seconds. I told him when he opened his eyes that I was pretty sure he was going to get his baby that day!

He dressed and showered as usual, and I got dressed as well. I made sure he went to Tim Horton's to get me some breakfast because I knew if I was in labour I wouldn't be able to eat! I also sent some warning text messages to my sister and Kyle's parents who were in Toronto at the time.

So it was probably around 8:30 when we got up to the hospital. They got us all registered and I was put on the NST machine. The contractions (of course) had slowed down since I was there, but they were showing up on the monitor and they were about every ten minutes apart. The nurse said right from the beginning that Dr. Waja (my OB) was in the hospital and that they would wait for him to come check me. We waited, and waited, and waited... each time being assured that Dr. Waja was on his way. I think it was around noon when the nurse said she would check me herself, and when she checked she said I was only 3 cms – same as I was after my sweep on Monday!! I was SUPER disappointed. She said she still wanted to wait for Waja to see what he would say, so we waited some more.

It was around an hour later when he finally did come in to check me, and HE said I was 4cms (so I was making progress, slowly but surely) and wanted to know if I wanted to go home and wait for the contractions to get worse, or if I wanted him to break my water and get things going. I didn't want to be pregnant anymore (or feel anymore contractions!) so I said let's get things going! He said he had a surgery to do and then he would come and break my water.

Since I knew my water was going to be broken and I wouldn't be leaving without my baby now, I sent Kyle home to put the dog outside and grab anything he needed from the house. Of course the MINUTE he left everything started getting crazy! I went from literally sitting in the same room with NOTHING happening for like, five hours, to being moved to a delivery room with EVERYTHING happening all at once! Suddenly I was in that room with two nurses – one asking questions and getting me to sign papers about having an epidural, and the other one putting in an IV and taking my vitals and everything else. I could hear Waja in the hallway and I was absolutely petrified that he was going to come in and break my water when I was all by myself! I told Kyle to haul *** haha and he was back before we knew it!

Dr. Waja came in around 2:30 to break my water, and that was a painless experience. It felt a lot grosser than I expected it to, but it didn't hurt one single bit and wasn't even uncomfortable! They advised me that once the water is broken things could happen quite quickly, so that was kind of exciting!!

Before I knew it, the guy was in my room to give me my epidural! I was barely even feeling the contractions now with all the excitement, and in retrospect I shouldn't have gotten the needle so early, but the guy was there so it was go time! I got extremely nervous (I'm not a big fan of needles...), especially when he told me about the one in a million chance of being permanently paralyzed... but there was no going back at that point! I have to say that the most painful part of my ENTIRE labour was the epidural. Turns out the guy missed the desired spot the first time, and had to freeze and go in another spot to try again. I kept saying “Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!” over and over and the nurse kept asking me if I was having contractions but it was the pain from the guy hitting my bone with the needle! He even admitted it was hurting more than it was supposed to!

Anyway, the epidural took 100% of the pain away, and soon enough my mom and my sister were there in the delivery room with Kyle and I. It was kind of funny because everybody (including myself) expected me to be a complete basket case during delivery! I was expecting to be screaming and yelling and crying and cursing at Kyle... instead, we were all sitting around talking, laughing, and being BORED until the nurses switched shifts and I was finally checked to see what was going on down there! That was between 7-8:00 (I think!) and the first thing the nurse said was, “You're going to like what I have to say! You are 9.5 cm dilated!” Everybody was SO EXCITED!!

All of the sudden everybody is changing camera batteries, getting out of their chairs, standing around me all excited and ready for me to give birth! It wasn't until... 10:00 maybe that the nurse said I could start pushing whenever I could feel a contraction. Bad news was that I was so frozen from the epidural that I couldn't feel them! So I had to wait for her to tell me when to push. I started “practice pushing” at 10:30, and at 11:00 she said she was going to go get the doctor so I could deliver.

Little did we know that she actually went to go get the doctor because Kaylee's heart rate was spiking and then dropping dramatically when I was pushing! The first thing Waja said when he came in was to explain the heart rate and tell me that I had to push as hard as I could to get the baby out as fast as possible. I pushed maybe three contractions, and he said he had to use the vacuum to get her out faster. He explained she would have more of a “cone head” when she came out, but that I needed the help. Suddenly he called in a bunch of back up doctors , nurses,and pediatricians, and before we knew it my delivery room was FULL of people! It was scary!

I pushed a couple of times with the vacuum and he said it still wasn't working, and that to get the baby out he was going to either have to use the forceps or give me an episiotomy. Going into labour, an episiotomy was something I was 100% against. I told him that, and he said it was safer for the baby than the forceps were, so of course I said to go ahead. Didn't feel a thing!

The very next push, Kaylee's head came “spilling out of me” (as I was told from everybody in the room!), followed by the shoulders and the rest of her body after one more tiny push! Kyle was asked to cut the cord (a couple of times – I would say Daddy was in a little wee bit of shock lol) and then baby Kaylee Karen Arthur (middle name after the best aunt EVER!) was placed on my chest! She was beautiful and I immediately started crying!

She was born at 11:22, she weighed 7 pounds even, and she was 18 inches long! My tiny little baby girl! Right off the bat she was examined by all the doctors, and she was perfectly healthy! She barely even cried! Gave a squack or two, and then was more interested in staring at the world around her than she was in crying! She is still the same way today!

She also had a slight problem with her foot. Turns out it was the foot stuck in the same position that was “the cat” in my belly, and because it was stuck like that for so long it needed to be stretched out and exercised to get it back to normal. Now you can barely tell there is anything wrong with it!

Since the birth there have been a lot of ups and downs, but I think the three of us are finally getting into a new routine and are becoming used to the little princess being a part of our lives every single minute of every single day! I can't believe how much I can love this little person who has only been alive for eleven days, and how much my love for Kyle has changed and evolved to so much more than I ever thought was possible!

Speaking of Kyle – he is the BEST dad you can possibly imagine. For the first four days of Kaylee's life, I only changed two diapers and was never awake for a minute on my own in the middle of the night. Even now when he has to wake up to work in the morning, he is in charge of diaper changes and burps every single night!

I am SO incredibly blessed to have the most perfect little family, and I could not ask for more.

And I know it's a litte late, but here is a picture of her at two and a half weeks:

Reply With Quote
September 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 5,518
Sounds like a bit of a scare, but she's beautiful!
Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,778
Wow, look at those eyes! I bet you stare into them all the time! I loved your story, thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote
January 15th, 2012, 11:43 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations! she's beautiful, and you sound so amazingly happy.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0