Corbin's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We showed up at the hospital at 8pm for my scheduled induction at 39w4d. My first nurse was Ashley. We got settled in and they checked me. I was a 1-2 (1 on the inside, 2 on the outside). We put baby on the monitors and got Cervidal inserted for the night. Very quickly I started contracting. They got stronger and stronger into the night. I peaked at about 3 back to back contractions with 3 minute breaks in between. Because of the way baby was facing, I had very strong back labor. About two hours in, my Cervidal came out, so we had to replace it. They checked me first and I was a 2-2, so a little progress had already been made, but not much. I got my second dose and we continued on. At about 4am the contractions got really intense.

At 5am, I finally convinced my nurse that I was really ready for my epidural. She checked me first and I was at a 4, so it was time to stop Cervidal and get ready to start Pitocin. She called my OB and she agreed to go ahead and let me get my epi, but first I had to take a shower. I had never heard of that, but she requires it for two reasons, one to relax the body to allow Pitocin to work better and two in order to clean the back for the procedure. It was definitely relaxing. After I got out, I had to have a bag of fluid for the epi and we also started antibiotics since I was GBS+. A second dose is suppose to be started 4 hours later, little did we know at the time that there would not be the second dose. They finally called for the epidural to be placed and we started Pitocin at approximately 6:30. I was started at a level 4 Pitocin (really low) and they never had to increase. At around this time the nurses changed and I got Leslie and Stacey (who was in training for this hospital, she was already a L&D nurse).

The epidural took nicely and my back stopped hurting (at least for awhile). My OB called and said she would be in about 8:30am to check on me. The nurses checked me first and realized that I had made a great deal of progress I was at a 8. My doctor arrived, stopped in quickly and they told she had to stay to have this baby. She had been planning on going into the office and not having to be there until around 2pm. She checked me herself and Corbin started deceling bad. She broke my water and was wanting to get him right out then and there. Thankfully breaking my water stabilized him and I was able to continue on. I am not sure what she had planned to do, but she was talking about pushing and getting him out quickly. He stabilized so she wanted to run to her car and get her lunch out of it before it went bad (it was going to be a really hot day) and needed 10 mins. Within that 10 mins, I went from an 8 to complete and was ready to push. They ended up having to page her and tell her to hurry up or she was going to miss it. At this point, I could completely feel all the pressures of the contractions.

She finally got back and we set up to start pushing. One contraction and 3 pushes later Corbin Alexander was here at 9:19am on September 1, 2011. They immediately placed him on my chest so I could hold him while they cut his cord. Then they took him to weigh him and warm him up while I delivered the placenta and got stitched up. He came so fast, I tore along my scar from Jamie, but it was only a first degree tear on the inside, and a skid mark. Even with the epidural, I could feel everything in the end, including the lovely ring of fire. It was a great feeling and I am glad I got to experience it, without the pain of Pitocin contractions to get there.

Corbin weighed 6lb 9 oz and was 19 inches long. He scored a full 10/10 on his apgar and my OB said that was the first time she had ever heard of that happening. He got cleaned up a little and passed back to me to feed.

My delivery nurses were absolutely wonderful and made the process so much easier. My OB (Dr. Boyer) was so pleased with the way everything had progressed in my pregnancy after my problems last time and was amazed that he was so teeny. She boosted to the nurses how great I was, it was really funny.

All in all, we had a great and successful induction and a wonderful birth. Corbin has been the perfect addition to our family and his big brother loves him as much as we do.

Corbin - about 5 mins old:

After getting weighed and cleaned a little:

Last edited by JeCaLe; September 9th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
September 9th, 2011, 08:25 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
9111! Fun birthday! Thank you for taking the effort to share your story with us. We are so excited Corbin is here!! Yay! I've seriously never heard of a 10/10 apgar score! I'm glad your water breaking helped his decels and that you had such a great experience. Good luck with those two boys! My first two are about 2 years apart as well and the hardest thing for me was retaining the ability to see my 2yr old for the baby he still was. I'm not sure I succeeded and even now (he's 7) he seems so much older when he talks. First child syndrome, I guess!
September 10th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! Loved your story.
September 10th, 2011, 05:41 AM
amycc's Avatar Super Mommy
Loved your birth story, and Corbin is just gorgeous! Congrats!

September 10th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What a great birth story - glad everything turned out good! And, congrats on your handsome newest addition!
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
September 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
congrats again, sarah! he is so precious!!!!

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
September 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww congrats!! He is precious. I'm so glad everything turned out well and he is doing wonderfully!
January 15th, 2012, 04:01 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations, he's adorable! i'm glad it went well.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search