Our little rose's birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This was a different pregnancy the whole time, but especially got difficult the last month. With scares of low fetal movement and more PTL, my little one decided to surpass hold out longer than her sister or brother did before making her appearance.

I had almost 3 weeks of sporadic contractions with minimal progress and they didn't end completely, but were very unnoticeable over the Labor Day weekend. On Tuesday, I started feeling them again and they continued through Wednesday. During the day Wednesday, the were definitely more painful, but not consistent or unbearable.

I went in for my OB appt Wednesday, Sept. 7th. I got there a little before my 3:30 appt time to give my pee sample. The nurse brought me back right away and introduced me to a med student training in the office. My weight was down another 1/2 pound from the previous week (ended up about 10 pounds for the whole pregnancy) and my BP was fine.

The med student went hunting for baby's HR. She struggled for maybe 5 minutes to find it before the nurse tried to find it. The nurse did find it for about 3 seconds, but still couldn't hold on to it. So, she said she'd have the dr find it too.

In comes dr just moments later with nurse and med student in tow. He did find the hr and said it was normal, but didn't give a number. Went through the usual 37.4 week check, baby position, fh measurement and cervical check. All was fine. With the cervical check, dr commented on her head being super low (yep, no surprise there) and that I was still 3cm dilated, but now 80% effaced.

He wanted me to get a NST after the appt, which I had expected. If all was fine I would be coming back next week and we'd discuss inducing during the 38th week. This was new since he'd always said he'd wait until 39 weeks.

So, I left the office and headed over to L & D for another NST. They hooked me up and found the HR. It was fine, although I never got a number. I was there for over an hour with her HR steady, but no real accelerations. I also noticed my contractions were picking up in intensity and frequency.

At 5:10, the dr comes in and tells me I'm either being induced tonight or having a cesarian depending on what the BPP says. I was shocked to say the least and asked why we'd induce. The dr said that he didn't like the way her hr was reading on the NST. It had been steady, but the dr said it was low and less reactive than previous NSTs. Her HR was between 110 and 125, but mainly around 118-123.

So off I make several phone calls to my DH and work and even my mother. I'm still not too worried, but in a state of shock. About 5:45 I get wheeled down to radiology for the BPP. During the BPP, we also got a fetal weight estimation. This is when I started getting scared. The measurements of the femur and abdomen were way behind - the femur was about 31 weeks and the abdomen didn't even measure 30 weeks. Her head was small, but closer at 35 weeks.

I watched for all the benchmarks of the BPP. There wasn't much fluid and the tech only got 4 cm total of fluid. Her movements weren't there and even her breathing was very hard to see. I had to hold my breath for us to see her breathing and even then it was shallow and sluggish, not at all what I had seen just 3 weeks before. I began to resign myself to a c-section birth for our little girl.

I returned to the L & D room around 6:45. The dr came in and we discussed the results of the BPP. The tech generously gave her a score of 4 out of 10, but it probably should have been a 2/10. My dr was great and very reassuring about the procedure. The nurses came in and began prepping me. It took 3 nurses and 4 tries to get an IV set up. Around 7 pm, DH showed up and spoke with the dr. He said we'd have a baby within the hour.

I was a little surprised when the dr asked about a tubal ligation for me, but I declined it. DH and I hadn't even talked about it yet and had always discussed DH getting snipped, not me.

Considering everything, I was making jokes and trying to stay in good spirits. I met the anesthesiologist around 7:15 and a short while later was wheeled down to the OR. There I saw the OR nurses. I got shifted to the OR bed and slowly got my spinal block. I took a few tries for it to take. Then they began getting everything set up and brought in DH. He tried to be brave, but I knew he was just freaking out. A little bit later the dr tests my numbness and I can feel it all, so they give me a local and wait a little longer. When he does start, I can feel it, but not badly. At this point I will put up with the pain if it means my little girl can get here sooner.

Slowly the dr works as my spinal kicks into high gear. I keep talking to DH and the anesthesiologist while the dr works. I hear that her heads out and a few moments later she's out. At 19:57, she's born and once she got suctioned, she wailed away. The nurses took her to examine her and have the neonatologist check her out. I sent DH to the corner to watch her. She got a 9 on both her apgars. The neonatologist came over and told me she was good, just tiny. Before the baby and DH left the room, they brought her over for me to look at. All I could see of her was her head. She looked like a tiny doll.

The rest is pretty boring - the dr stitched and stapled me back up and DH was with the baby. As we left the OR, the nurses and I were betting how big she was. I guessed 5 lbs 4 oz. We saw DH in the hall and he said she was 4 lbs 9 oz. I couldn't believe that she was really that tiny.

In the end, it didn't matter. We had a healthy baby girl. She was tiny, but so what. All that mattered was a healthy baby. Now Dh and I just had to agree on her name.
September 9th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Happy Mommy
September 10th, 2011, 12:42 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Glad she's ok!!
September 10th, 2011, 05:25 PM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
Very tiny baby! Sorry you were so scared and worried, but the good news is that she is perfectly healthy and all the worry turned out to be for nothing

Congratulations!
September 16th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what an experience! I'm glad you shared, even though it wasn't a planned section. You are a very strong woman. Enjoy your baby
January 15th, 2012, 11:26 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! i'm glad all is well.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search