The Story of Caeden Lee

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 08:35 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The last five or so weeks of my pregnancy was stressful due to continuously rising BP readings. I started with 24 hr urine screens and blood draws which were all fine, but at my 38 week appointment my BP climbed into the danger levels and I had to get NST scans and monitoring. After Labor Day weekend I had my 39 week appointment early that Tuesday morning, luckily my husband was able to go with me since it was so early in the morning. I had labor inducing acupuncture on Saturday and was doing what I could to get labor started on my own to no avail. The NST scan showed the baby was doing well, but they still wanted to admit me straight away for an induction. I was SO not ready!! I cried, as I was really hoping to avoid medical induction and do most of my laboring at home--I really felt like I was being cheated out of the birth experience I had hoped for. I did not want to be in the hospital right away. Even though I was aware that I could be induced at any time once my BP started creeping up, I certainly wasn't expecting it at THAT appointment. I begged to be able to go home, take a shower, and grab my things. After another consult with physicians I was allowed to go home, shower, and come back to the hospital. As we got in the car to head back to the hospital it hit---I would be coming home with my baby!!

Once I checked in, they got us into a room and we talked with the midwife who assured us that she would still do everything that she could to ensure our birth plan wishes were honored. After much reassurance and discussion about the induction process we decided to start with Cytotec--my midwife preferred to start with it as it more closely mimics the bodies natural process than Cervidil and we would use Pitocin as a last resort. I was given the first round of Cytotec--we would try 4 doses max before moving on to other methods--it was around 3pm. I had to be on monitors for 2 hours but after that I would be allowed to eat and walk around for two hours, then we would start the second dose, so on. Around 5 pm they came in and told me that the baby's heart rate had changed so they just wanted to monitor me a bit longer before letting me eat and walk around, I was starving at this point and starting to get very crampy and uncomfortable. After another half an hour I could take it no longer and called the nurse so that I could use the bathroom. I was taken off the monitors and the nurse noticed my contractions were starting to get pretty strong and regular. I suddenly went from being very hungry to very nauseous and that was when I realized that I was in labor. My husband called our labor support and she came to the hospital at just the right time. I hadn't wanted to call her earlier as I had figured it was going to be a long drawn out process. She arrived just as my water broke; around 6:15pm and from there things get a little hazy. When it started to get super intense my midwife suggested a dip in the jacuzzi tub which helped a lot. I stayed in there for a while and then when I couldn't lay on my back any longer I leaned over a chair and they sprayed warm water from the shower over my lower back with each contraction. I remember someone getting me a Popsicle at some point, lol. I was in so much pain by now, I didn't think it would ever end, but my labor support had me take the contractions one at time and we worked through them. I remember screaming a lot and apologizing when I squeezed someone's hand really tight. I felt so bad for hurting them, lol!! My husband was so amazingly supportive and helpful.
When I no longer wished to be in the water we moved to the floor where they had placed a mattress and a birthing stool. My midwife did a quick check and said I was almost at a 9. I sat on the birthing stool, which was so incredibly painful but I knew it was helping my body open up so I stayed on it. Suddenly it was time to push and after what seemed like forever, my midwife was telling me to take my gown off (so we could have immediate skin to skin contact) and listen to her instructions. She had me reach down, I could touch my baby's head!! I think she wanted me to know I was making progress-I remember at this time thinking I wasn't going to be able to finish this, it was too hard. She had DH get on the floor and my labor support was behind me supporting and encouraging me as I pushed my little baby out. Suddenly the head was out and my midwife was telling me to push one last time, I did and then she told me to slow down, and I swear just I she said that I had the biggest contraction and he just came flying out. This left me with a 2nd degree tear inside and a torn left labia, probably from his limbs coming out so fast I was told, but my perineum did not tear thankfully. The speed he came out at even surprised the midwife!! My amazing husband caught our baby and laid it on my belly--we were all overjoyed!! All that hard work for this baby was over and we had our baby!! But suddenly I realized I didn't know what the baby was! I distinctly remember looking at my husband and saying--"wait-what kind of baby is it?" He fumbled through the blankets, he was so excited he hadn't even looked!!-"It's a boy!!" I was so happy and thankful-- everything was perfect!! Even though I was so terrified of the induction, I made it through with no pain meds and just a bit of Pitocin at the end to help expel the placenta and stop the bleeding. I am so thankful to my labor support and husband, it was so hard I don't think I could have done it without them. The hospital staff; midwives and the nurses, all were so amazing and so respectful of all my wishes, I couldn't have asked for a better birthing experience.
I had my beautiful Caeden Lee at 10:07 PM mountain time on 9/6/11, just a little over 5 hours after my labor started and only 7 hours total from the beginning of the induction process. Amazingly fast for a first timer and I am glad for it!! ~~

Here's a pic from about a half hour after birth

Make a pregnancy ticker

Last edited by bajars2531; September 15th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
September 14th, 2011, 10:28 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
Im lurking from the Jan DDC and I just wanted to say CONGRATS to you. I will have to be induced (because of my babies heart condition), but I still want a NBC and reading your story gives me so much hope. Thank you!
September 15th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wonderful story! Congratulations.
September 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM
mom2moose
I liked the part where you asked "what kind of baby is it?" LOL

Glad you got (mostly) the borth you wanted. Congrats on your little guy!!
September 15th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your son and for going natural!!
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
September 16th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Super Mommy
Wanted to thank you for sharing your story. I found it while searching cytotec on the forums. It's good to know that the cytotec worked for you. I'm stuck in the hospital and need to decide whether to try cytotec as a last resort before C-section.

BTW - You look great in your pic for a half hour after birth! Everyone has looked great. I look homeless after just 10 mins in this dang hospital bed. Lord knows what I'll look like after birth!

Congrats again!
January 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! great story.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search