Surprise, it's a girl! Corin Elise born 9-9-2011

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Birth story of Corin Elise born 9-9-2011 at 1:19 pm. 6lbs 13 oz, 19 in long

Thursday, 9-8
41 week appointment at 10 am:
The appointment was a mild shocker because all of a sudden I needed to get blood tests, urine analysis, ultrasound, and monitor my blood pressure. Induction at a hospital was even mentioned as early as Monday, depending on the test results. I was upset by the whole situation, naturally. We couldn't get in at the ultrasound place until the next day at 11 am.

We had my bloodwork drawn around 2:30 pm. I had 5 vials drawn and made my urine deposit.

My sister was in town because she had a feeling I'd go over my due date and wanted to meet the baby before she had a chance to come up again around Thanksgiving. Since she was here, my mom wanted to make something special so she decided to make us all lasagna. I was excited because it is the next best thing to Eggplant Parmigiana that everyone online says brings on labor. Dinner was around 6:30 that night.

11 pm or so
Scott and I went to bed, but I just relaxed and listened to my Hypnobabies tracks. I think I listened to Hypnotic Childbirth #2 and Birthing Day Affirmations. It wasn't long after I laid down that mild pressure waves started. I didn't get very excited because I had felt some on Tuesday night too and they petered out to nothing.

Friday, 9-9: 2 am
I decided the pressure waves weren't going to stop and I started to wonder when I should wake Scott up to start timing them. They seemed very short to me but close together so I was really confused. I hadn't heard of another woman having this kind of timing before, because mine were like 1 every 5 mins or less but very short. Around this time I started having shaking in my legs that was almost impossible to will away.

3 am
I decided to wake Scott up to start timing them. He helped me time the pressure waves which were about 30 seconds long and 3 minutes apart. We started to talk about when to page our midwife Linda for the first time. Naturally he wanted to wait until my waves “evened out” but it was really just because of the hour—too darn early! I got so done having waves while lying down so I started standing, pacing, and moving my hips. This also helped a lot with my leg shaking.

4 am or so
Scott paged Linda for the first time. I paced while on the phone with her but could still talk through them no problem. I was frustrated they were so close together that I couldn't really do anything in between them—like gather stuff for the birth bag. Then Linda told me to page again when they got more intense and she wanted me to retake my blood pressure since it was high the previous afternoon.

I had to sit still for 15 mins from 4:15-4:30 to retake my bp: that was a joy, hardy har. The results were the same as before, so Linda was pleased that I was consistent. Scott began gathering all the loose stuff for the birthing bag.

6:30 am
Contractions were now 45 sec and 2 min apart. Linda didn't want me to come to the birth center too early, so she offered to come to our house and check my progress. I was so tired at this point after no sleep, I really got complainey. I actually experienced micro-sleep while waiting. I got a couple “breaks” where contractions were 4 and 7 mins apart. This felt like a long time to me after all those hours of waves coming in 3 minute intervals.

Linda finally came over at 7:45 am. At my exam I was at 2-3 cm dilated and 90% effaced—still early stage. Just after the exam, I puked right in front of her. Scott started fiddling with the Tens Meter that Linda had brought and they hooked me up to it. They tried to tell me how to work it but I couldn't concentrate on pushing buttons and adjusting electrode stimulation levels—seriously!

Linda said she had an appointment at 10 and we could come in at 11. I thought that sounded reasonable at the time and said goodbye, especially since I was still in early stage and dealing with the contractions well on my own. Of course as soon as she left the intensity picked back up.

9:45 am
I tried to concentrate on the goal of leaving the house at 10:30 am, but it seemed so far away especially as contractions were so darn close together! I needed to go in like now! I made Scott call Linda again and she kindly rescheduled her appointment so I could go in right away. I imagined myself floating weightless in the birth tub and felt like I could make the half-hour journey in the car. Of course Scott kept bothering me with dumb questions like what flavor of Gatorade I wanted and where were the long straws for the tall bottles? I had previously said I was going to put on a dab of makeup for the video/pictures but at that point I didn't care and skipped it. I was able to go to the bathroom and use the Hibiclens wash since I was group B strep positive. I noticed real blood in my maxipad, and told Scott about it. I had been leaking “bloody show” since the previous night but it had been pale pink to pink up to that point.

10:15 am
I needed to leave so badly, I tried to grab some stuff myself to load in the car, but decided against it. It was hard enough deciding if I should change out of my pajamas! I said that we were going to miss our ultrasound, but Scott told me he had already canceled it. I took a couple of Tylenol caps to take the edge off for the trip.

It seemed to me that the trip was taking waaaaay too long. My eyes were glued shut and I was concentrating on using the Tens Meter to distract myself. There was a detour (we think there might have been a gas leak) so our 30 min trip took 45 mins. I think the tens meter was what made me able to sit still in the car.

11am
We finally got to the birth center—yea! Linda was late arriving as well so when I came in, the tub was only half full. I then met the birth assistant, Stephanie, who was very nice and was also going to take some pictures for us.

I needed to be examined again, so I got up on the bed and was thrilled to be at 7-8 cm! Scott started working on bringing in all our gear and set up the cameras. I couldn't decide if I wanted to get in the tub immediately, so I stood and leaned on Stephanie for 3 more contractions. I said, “I think the oxytocin is kicking in cause I feel like I love everybody!” Everyone laughed. On the 3rd contraction, my body started involuntarily pushing. I got unhooked from the tens meter and got in the tub at 11:30. The water was too warm and too shallow. I had to sink way down into my knees, which gave me charley horses in my calves.

I innocently asked what stage of labor I was in since I was just in early stage at home. Linda said, “Pushing.” I said, “What about transition?” “You kinda skipped that part!” Ha, ha.

My body finally spaced my contractions out to 5 minutes apart, but now I thought it was too long—I wanted to get the baby out. With each one, my body involuntarily pushed. Stephanie kept talking quietly to me and repeated key Hypnobabies phrases like, “Your body knows just what to do to birth your baby,” “Down and out,” and others. I needed to feel touch, so Stephanie rubbed my shoulder and back and alternated giving me sips of gatorade and water. In between contractions, I was able to tell my attendants exactly what I was feeling. During contractions, I vocalized very loudly and was reminded over and over to keep them low-pitched, which I did most of the time.

12:45 pm
Linda and Stephanie decided I was resisting the pushing too much so I was made to get out of the tub. I carefully sat on birthing stool which was covered with disposable pads. The chair was very uncomfortable. I felt incredible pressure on my lower back, so I asked Stephanie to apply counter-pressure which really helped, but limited her ability to get me my gatorade or take pictures.

Linda set up a mirror for me, but I flat out refused to look in it. I could feel the baby come down with the push but scoot back up when it was over. I could feel the baby move inside of me too—Linda reminded me that babies help themselves be born.

When a contraction came, my body involuntarily pushed and I let it, just directing where the pushes were going, mostly towards my tailbone. Right at the end I was expecting the “ring of fire” but never experienced it. Instead, baby tried to be born with her hand up by her face which happened to be right in the front on my urethra. I could feel a bulge that wasn't a round baby's head. Linda poked at it with her finger and the baby actually moved the bulge out of the way—that felt weird! I pushed out the head and Linda directed the baby all the way out, during the same push. She then immediately put the baby on my lap, but my arms were jelly and my legs spread out and it happened so quickly I accused her of throwing the baby at me!

After 2 hours of pushing, at 1:19 the baby was finally here! I don't remember hearing crying, though she must have. I was so overwhelmed all I could feel was her weight in my weakened arms. She felt like she weighed a ton, so I thought maybe I was right when I guessed she was close to 8 lbs!

I was quickly moved to the bed for the aftercare. Linda bustled about for a bit and came back to look at me down there. The placenta was birthed and was wrapped up and put it in a ziplock baggie. We would not cut the cord until an hour later. Scott was busy messing with his phone and missed the placenta being born, which he was mildly miffed about (don't know why, it looks like a huge blood clot!)

I ended up getting a 2nd degree tear but it was very shallow and clean and didn't need stitches. I also got massive hemorrhoids—my bonus for all the pushing towards my butt, oh well.

I finally started to come back to myself and realized I had a real live baby on my chest wrapped in a flannel blanket. Then I wanted Scott to come over and tell everyone the sex of the baby as no one had even thought to look yet! Scott peeled back the blanket and said quietly, “It's a girl.” I was really shocked, I had totally convinced myself it was going to be a boy.

We had 2 girl names picked out that we liked equally and we had decided that if it was a girl we would meet her first and then decide which name she looked like more. We decided that Scott could make the choice and I would go along with his decision. I looked at her and thought to myself that she looked more like a Corin than our other name and when I pressed Scott to tell me her name, he said that she looked like a Corin to him too! So our sweet precious Corin Elise was named in honor of her grandmother Corliss.

And of course, now I can say with only a small amount of sarcasm, “It was the lasagna!”

^^Just after giving birth.

^4 days old

^At her professional photo shoot, 4 days old
September 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What a great story! I'm so glad things went well for you.
January 15th, 2012, 11:17 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations, she's beautiful. great story.
and i love your shirt!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search