Dawson Douglas' arrival!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So it all began with my husband's paranoia He decided that Wednesday night he wanted us to stay at his parent's house, which is about 30 mins (without traffic) closer to the hospital. So we did. By staying there, we had someone to watch Danica while we went for a nice evening walk, hoping to help things get going.

The next morning, just as his mom walked in the door from work at 11am, I stood up from lying down and felt a significant trickle. I was wearing a liner so I wasn't sure how much it really was. So, I layed down again to see if it happened again and sure enough it did. I called the hospital and they said to come in. Well, I had lunch first then off we went.

We got there around 12:15, as we were walking through the hall....GUSH....and my panties were soaked! They did the pH test to verify that it was amniotic fluid and.......it was negative?!? They were gonna perform the fern test, but after lying directly on my back and retesting (the nurse actually seeing it flow out) it was positive. But, still no contractions. When doing a cervical check at 6pm (2.5cm) the nurse noticed that she could still feel the sac over the baby's head. So, they figured that the break was high up and that due to this there was not significant pressure on my cervix to dilate it further and start contractions. The OB decided to start Cytotec hoping that the contractions would break the botton of the sac and get things moving further. Cytotec was started at 9:15pm...at 2:30am only 3cm dilated.

Even only being 3cm, the pain was getting unbearable, so the nurse paged the anesthesiologist, and at 3:30am I had my epidural and was able to kinda nap for 30 mins.

At 5:40am the OB came in to see where things were and how to proceed. So, he does a check...and I'm only at 4cm. But he says "you have a second sac"...I'm seriously confused for a couple of seconds, until he says, you have an extra sac surrounding the baby and I have to break it...so out comes the hook. He breaks it (I was very glad I had the epidural cause I was afraid of that, and he had a hard time getting it broken well, but when he did....GUSH. So, I had 2 waters! They told me it's not very common.

An hour later, cervical check shows 5cm and the nurse starts setting the delivery instruments up for the OB. I thought that was a little pre-emptive, but she said for 2nd babies women can go from 5 to 10cm very quickly. "Okay, if you say so" is all I could think, but wasn't expecting anything. 45 mins later (at 7:30am) I start to feel immense pressure down there like I had to have a crazy BM and it was painful (the thing about walking epidurals...it stops the pain in the abdomen and back, but it's still pretty much there in the lower areas, so I could feel those contractions really well and know when I HAD to push). I look at DH and say "get the nurse"...I guess I sounded pretty RIGHT NOW, cause he went without even looking back! The nurse comes in and cervical check shows fully dilated and ready to go!

Now's where the fun begins. 7:30am is shift change. One OB was in a delivery...and the other couldn't be found! So the nurses are telling me to breathe through the contractions but DON"T PUSH! Sounds easy right?! NOT!!! A nurse checks my cervix during a contractions without me pushing and she says "he's coming whether or not Dr. Fortin is here!". So, it get's a little more hairy....a nurse goes out the door and turns back "here he comes" and in rushes Dr. Fortin (7:50am).

2 contractions and 4 pushes later...out came Dawson Douglas at 7:52am. They clean him up while he lies on my chest. APGAR's are 9 and 9 (lost the point cause his hands were bluish). The nurses leave us more or less to be with Dawson (they come in only to check vitals of me and baby for 2 hours). Dawson first successfully nursed at 8:30am!

After our "alone time" he is weighed and measured. 6lbs 13oz and 20 inches long! 2 OB's had predicted over 8lbs, but the nurses figure the extra sac of fluid threw them off

36 hours after he's born...we're home

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

September 19th, 2011, 06:56 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow... You went from 5cm to birth really fast! Congratulations sweetie, Welcome Dawson - mommy has been waiting for you

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

September 19th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Yay!! Very cute!
September 20th, 2011, 03:48 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I love it

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

September 20th, 2011, 05:24 AM
*KaraBeth*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's awesome that you went so fast towards the end! Thanks for sharing!!

September 20th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Great story, congratulations!
September 20th, 2011, 06:23 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Congrats, Thanks for sharing and he is a cutie pie!

http://lindseysphotography.com/
September 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
mom2moose
It just proves you're special, to have TWO bags of water!! LOL

Great story and glad the doc got there in time!!
September 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats, he's a cutie!! Glad things went good and you and baby are home. Thanks for sharing
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
September 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2moose View Post
It just proves you're special, to have TWO bags of water!! LOL

Great story and glad the doc got there in time!!
So true!!!

Dawson Douglas is such a cutie and what a beautiful name. We are planning on using Douglas as our son's middle name if this is a boy!

You did a great job birthing mama!

January 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations. he's so beautiful.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search