Lilly Mae's birth story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Cwright's Avatar Super Mommy
The past week has been a blur but I wanted to write this out to make sure I remember everything!! Wednesday the 14th we were scheduled to head to the hospital at 4pm to start cervidil I was 1cm dilated since Monday, we got there on time and got everything set up and just played the waiting game until morning. Around 4am the nurse came in to wake me up to get the day started, so I showered and got comfy since I would be hooked up to monitors all day. After getting in bed I decided to get up and pee one more time and as soon as I stood up my water broke all down my freshly washed legs! So I walked into the bathroom and told DH and he called the nurse, she came in and sure enough it was my water. She decided to check me and I wasn't dilated anymore than 1cm so she hooked me up to the monitors and pitocin. Around lunch time I started feeling uncomfortable...it wasn't unbearable but the contractions were definitely there. It felt like period cramps that came and went but never went higher up or around my back, the contractions were coming about every 1.5-2mins so the doc. checked me and I was 4cm. I decided to get the epidural at this point because I just couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep, after the epi (which was super easy) I slept for a few hours and woke up to some pressure, doc. checked me again around 3pm and I was 8cm & 70% effaced. I couldn't believe how fast this was going and I'd soon be pushing! Only an hour later and I was tossing and turning in pain, on O2 because baby was having decels with contractions and I felt this horrible pain in my right butt cheek. So they called the anesthesiologist and he gave me more meds in my epi, 15mins later and they did NOTHING so he came back and put more in. I kept telling them, "I Have to turn over, I have to turn over" because my butt was hurting sooo bad. I repositioned but that didn't help so the doc. checked me and I was 10cm and fully effaced, holy crap..that meant I needed to push. So around 3:50pm I started doing practice pushing with the nurse's and DH's help through each contraction, I decided to use a mirror so I could see what I was doing since the epi had taken effect again and I could hardly feel anything down there. After a few pushes the nurse called the doc and told me to stop since baby's head was right there. Doc. came in and suited up and I pushed about 5 times and she came flying out! They put her on my chest but she was so purple and wasn't crying, I didn't even think to see what she was until the doc. said "what do we have??" and DH says so proudly, "IT'S a GIRL!" I couldn't believe it, they took her over and deep suctioned her a lot but she still never cried, just made little singing noises which the nurses said wasn't a good thing. I had 3rd degree tearing and was bleeding quite a bit so the doc. had to work on me longer than usual and I didn't get to hold her, they took her to the nursery to get checked out and she came back with a clean bill of health. Her apgars were 9 and 9. While in recovery DH said he walked into the nursery to get Lilly and she was vomiting and turning blue, the nurses told him that she had done this a few times before but NEVER told me! The docs and nurses kept telling us she was fine, she was fine and we got discharged on Sat. afternoon. Two hours after being home and Lilly had another vomiting episode where she turned blue and went limp, I had to flip her over and pound on her back before she would come around. We ended up in the ER and were later admitted to the PICU. While in the PICU her bili levels jumped to 19 and she required the phototherapy lights for 12 hours until it started to resolve, she had so much blood taken and had to get a lumbar puncture to rule out sepsis. She had an upper GI done that revealed she was refulxing pretty bad, so happy to get a diagnosis after all of this! We were finally cleared to go home yesterday and she was started on Zantac. We've been doing reflux precautions at home with no more episodes and she had her first Pedi appt. this morning and she's doing great! We're so happy to be home and I'll post pics later, she is an excellent nurser and never wants to leave my side. Me and DH are so in love.

her stats:

Lilly Mae Wright
9/15/2011
7lbs 15oz & 20in long

Thank you Babydoll213 for my Siggy!

September 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! I'm so sorry she had to go through all that (and you guys too)..but glad they figured it out. DS1 had reflux and I'm pretty sure DS2 does too..we go sometime next week for an upper GI for him. Zantac worked wonders for DS1 and we made sure he slept propped up and that helped a lot too..I hope it works for her! She's beautiful, btw!
September 23rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you!! I'm hoping the Zantac will work, she's only had about 4 doses so I haven't seen any improvement yet.

September 25th, 2011, 01:26 AM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heya, I'm lurking from Feb DDC but I LOVE reading the birth stories...

I just wanted to say that my first DD stopped breathing and went blue on the day we took her home. A ride in the ambo to the hospital, lumbar puncture and EVERY test you can imagine to try and figure out why she stopped breathing. A few days later (still at hospital) they used a Barium swallow and determined REFLUX was the cause (silent reflux). She stopped breathing about 8 times during our week long stay at hospital SOOO stressful. She stopped scaring us after about 2 weeks and hasn't had an episode since (she is nearly 2yrs old now)
What happened was the reflux came up and she shut off her wind pipes to stop the liquid from flowing into her lungs and essentially drowning herself. Is this what your lil girl was doing?
This was the most stressful time of my life!! waiting to get a diagnosis and watching her go blue and not breath all those times was unimaginable! BUT we got through it and she is just fine!!! We have a very healthy and intelligent wee girl hehe

We were given Omeprazole and also I had to feed her a thickener (like a jelly, paste stuff) before each feed, apparently this was to help it 'cement' in her stomach and try to defy gravity!. Also had her bassinet raised an awful lot and I didn't lay her flat on the ground much at all, or when I changed her nappy I had her propped up on some towels. When we were sent home the doctors told us that she might have some more episodes but not to worry, because she will come out of it on her own! This didn't sit well with me at all, but they were right she managed to come out of any mini episodes she did have once we were home all by herself.

I just had to post as I've never found anyone who had this problem with their newborn and I found you! Hope you don't mind me butting in!! I know what you have/are going through and its VERY stressful but it will all work itself out

Your girl is absolutely ADORABLE by the way.

September 25th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Ohh, I'm so glad I'm not alone!! Yes, this is exactly what was happening to her. She takes Zantac right now and I haven't really noticed a difference yet because she still spits up some after feedings if I move her too quickly. She hasn't had anymore episodes though where she stopped breathing, so that is reassuring. We never lay her flat on her back and we have a wedge in her pack & play for night time. I'm so glad to hear that your little girl is happy and healthy. Did she resolve the reflux on her own? The paperwork I got from the doc. says that they usually resolve it around 6months?

September 25th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Sorry about all the scary stuff and hope it resolves itself.
September 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwright View Post
Ohh, I'm so glad I'm not alone!! Yes, this is exactly what was happening to her. She takes Zantac right now and I haven't really noticed a difference yet because she still spits up some after feedings if I move her too quickly. She hasn't had anymore episodes though where she stopped breathing, so that is reassuring. We never lay her flat on her back and we have a wedge in her pack & play for night time. I'm so glad to hear that your little girl is happy and healthy. Did she resolve the reflux on her own? The paperwork I got from the doc. says that they usually resolve it around 6months?
We were also told in the paperwork that she would most likely resolve it on her own, sure enough by about 5 months (when she was sitting up) it had resolved itself I wished the early days away as it stressed me soooo much, but when we look back it was a very small part of our lives and nothing horrible happened after the stay at the hospital so we could have just relaxed anyway Unfortunately the stress dried my milk up very early which was a shame. I hope this next baby is more stress free! hehe If you ever wana talk about it all just PM me

p.s the Omeprazol (similar to Zantac I suspect), never helped, in fact possibly made it worse so I stopped it after about 2 weeks.

Last edited by sarah_19_nz; September 25th, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
January 11th, 2012, 08:25 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations~ she's adorable! i hope the zantac has helped with the reflux!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search