Isabella's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM
*KaraBeth*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sat 9/24/11 at about 6pm I was at home feeling like crud. I was SO insanely tired of being pregnant and feeling like she was never going to come out.. Well, I got up from playing with my kids and felt water trickle down my legs. First thought was "YES, my water broke!" but I wanted to make sure I didn't age super fast and pee myself After sitting down for a min and getting back up it continued to leak and everywhere I walked it just kept on coming so I figured it was the real deal.

I called my mom to get my kids and my husband came home but we stayed around the house till about 9pm when I decided to head into the hospital. I wasn't feeling any contractions or any discomfort but because I am GBS+ I wanted to make sure I had enough time to get enough antibiotics in my system before the baby came.

Got to the hospital about 9:30p with my husband and friend. They checked me and I was 1 mayyyyyyybe 2 cm and still 70% effaced. The nurse called my doctor and he wanted to immediately start me on pitocin. After my nurse told me that I told her she might as well call him back and tell him that I wasn't going to do it right now. I wanted to give my body the chance to start contracting on it's own without the pit. Well, Mr. Doctor didn't like that much. He called my room to talk to me and said I was putting my baby at risk of infection by not starting the pitocin and getting her out. I explained to him that she was being monitored closely, as was I, and everything was fine. I knew I had time before there was the risk of infection after my water broke. He was extremely rude to me talking down and making me feel horrible. He said if it's the pain I'm worried about with the pitocin I can just get an epidural. I told him (THE SAME THING I'VE SAID AT MY APPOINTMENTS!!!!) that I was planning on doing this without the epi and.. HE LAUGHED AT ME! Said "Ohhh, haha, ok.." *******.
He said he'd "let" me wait until midnight then we would start the pit.

I met with my nurse and another nurse on the floor that has worked in a birth center for 12 years before coming to the hospital to explore other options of getting contractions started naturally. They advised walking, nipple stimulation, birthing ball or sex to start things up. Ummm I had no idea you could have sex after your water had broken but apparently you can so long as you use a condom. Well, I tried all their suggestions (WEIRD!) but nothing was starting anything. Midnight came and I decided not to start the pit. I wanted more time for contractions to start on their own. My doctor called to make sure it was started and we got into another argument. Basically I told him that either A) I will find a new doctor that will support what I'm doing or B) You can fire me as a patient. He acted alot nicer after that..

So, nothing was happening and at 5a I decided to go ahead and start pitocin. I felt like I had done everything to start the contractions and had given my body almost 12 hours since my water broke and nothing was happening so felt this was the best decision. We started the pit and I felt nothing so every 30 min they upped it by 2. I still wasn't feeling much discomfort until about 9a. I got checked by the nurse and was 6cm. They kept upping the pit and it started to get reallllllly painful. The best thing that helped keep my mind off the pain was to rock on a birthing ball. That thing SAVED my life! It felt amazing!! By 10:30 I started feeling a lot of pressure so the nurse checked me again and I was at 7. Kinda discouraging as I though I was closer to being done I stayed on the ball for awhile longer and then by 11a I was really getting nauseous and had to start blocking people out that were around me. I have never felt pain like that before and the pressure was SO intense. I started vomiting from the pain and saying I couldn't do this and asked the nurse for an epidural. I felt horrible asking for it but I felt like I couldn't do it anymore. Every contraction was increasingly worse and worse and between contractions I had the intense pressure so there was never a break for me to breath. The came back in to check me and I was 9cm and completely effaced so no epi for me. In a way I was relieved that I had no choice but to do this naturally. Its what I wanted with this birth and knew I'd feel sad if I ended up getting it. At 11:30a I felt the urge to push with each contraction so the doctor came in to check me and I was complete and wanted me to start pushing. O.M.G. I had no clue what I was in for! I read about how it would feel pushing a baby out without any pain meds but nothing could prepare me for this. It hurt like hell but felt so good at the same time. I think because I KNEW this was the end and I KNEW in a short time I would feel no pain and be holding my baby girl. It took 25 minutes of pushing before she came out and when you hear about the "Ring of Fire" they aren't kidding! But, again it felt SO good.. hard to explain

Isabella Ann was born 9/25/11 at 11:55a. She weighed 6lb 12oz and was 18inches long. She scored 9 & 9 on her apgar.

I'm only 1 day out after delivery but feel AMAZING! I have absolutely no pain except an occasional cramp. I would never believed that I just gave birth yesterday and am feeling this good already. I have to stay in the hospital for a total of 48 hours so will be going home tomorrow.

September 29th, 2011, 07:15 AM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! I'm sorry your doc was being so sucky. Unless someone is in danger, I don't understand why docs want to operate on their own agenda so bad instead of going with the mother's wishes. So you actually had sex in the hospital room? lol..how awkward was that? Did the nurses just say "OKay, we'll give you half an hour.." and leave? lol

I kind of understand what you're saying about it being painful but feeling good at the same time. I got the epi with Archer..but I was pushing before the anesthesiologist left the room. I guess the sitting up while he was putting it really moved Archer down. I only pushed 3 times..a matter of probably 2 minutes at the most so the epi didn't kick in until about 15 minutes after he was born. lol. Anyway, pushing hurt like hell but at the same time it was such a relief..it just needed to be done so it felt good, ya know?

Anyway, congrats!! I'm glad you're both doing well!
January 11th, 2012, 11:21 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations-- she's beautiful!
i'm sorry your dr. was being a dick. i imagine i'm going to be fighting with my dr. in a few days, too-- getting really sick of the way labouring women are treated.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search