Log In Sign Up

Jackson's Birth Story (X-posted)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Beth04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,056
I already posted this in the May '11 PR, but I figured yall might enjoy reading Jackson's birth story and learning a little about us!

Wow. Let me start off by saying, this is way more a labor story than a birth story lol. Almost 36 hours...I don't even know how I made it through. This is a marathon, so I completely understand if you don't make it all the way through lol

On Sunday 4/24, I woke up at about 9:30 to use the bathroom like I normally do when I get up. I wiped, and some orangy-pinkish tinged fluid came out on the TP. I was like wow, maybe my plug will be coming out soon, didn't think anything of it. Went on about my business, and at like 10:30 started having contractions. At this point they weren't really timeable, maybe one every 5-15 minutes or so. Ate breakfast and sat on the couch and started watching tv. That's when the contractions started really kicking in. TMI, I had been dealing with some constipation issues all weekend, so for the first hour or 2 I wasn't really sure if I was having contractions or it was just more pains from my constipation woes. So then, we decided to take a walk, and sort of start timing them while we were. They were coming every 3-5 min for about 45 sec-a min and a half. So we got back, I laid down, and they still kept coming. We timed them for an hour, now they were coming every 3 minutes, still 45 sec-a min long. I knew at this point I might actually be in labor. I texted Eva bombarding her with questions lol trying to figure out if I was. Finally at about 1:30 pm, I decided it was time to go in. Even if it wasn't it, the contractions had been regular for so long, I had to find out (especially with the bleeding, which in fact did end up being a bloody show). A friend of mine picked me up at 2:30 pm and brought me to the hospital (Rob had his DD and was waiting on her mom, who was supposed to be there at 2:30 to get her to pick her up. She showed up at 5:30...knowing I was in the hospital...real nice, huh?). Anyway, got there, they hooked me up to the monitors. Jax's hb looked great and the contractions were coming every 2-3 minutes now. My nurse came in to check me, I was 1-2 cm, 30% effaced, -1 station and she said she could feel the bag of waters bulging. She called my OB, he said to stay on the monitors for an hour and then have her check me again. During this hour, my blood pressure spiked, so they turned me on my side and gave me morphine and phenergan to see if that would help bring it down (it did temporarily). She checked me again, no change, so I asked if I could walk. She called my doctor to make sure it was ok (because of the bp issues) and he said I could. I walked for an hour, she checked me, I was at 2. I really thought they were gonna send me home, and so did Rob, but he got there just in time for the nurse to tell us that they are admitting me and keeping me overnight. They gave me another shot, this one was Reglan to keep my blood sugars in check. I was still having contractions, now 3-5 minutes apart (slowed down by the phenergan) and the nurse told me to try and get some rest and the doctor would be in in the morning (even though they had to check my blood sugar every hour, so it really wasn't much rest at all). At 8 am, my doctor came in and checked me, still 2 but 40% effaced now. He told them to let me eat breakfast and then start the pitocin. So at like 10:30 they started the pit. They said they'd check me in an hour and give me the epidural if I had made any progress. At this point, I had been in labor 24 hours already, so I was gonna get it. The nurse checked me, I was 3-4 cm, 80% effaced, 0 station. I asked for the epi and the anesthesiologist came in and did it. It worked like a charm for an hour, then after that, I could feel every contraction in my left hip and groin and it was very painful! I told the nurse, they had another anesthesiologist come in and pull it out of my back a little and give me a bolus (an extra dose to make sure it was working again). I didn't feel the next contraction at all, so I was like cool its working. It worked ok for 3-4 more hours, then the left side started acting up again. I told the nurse and she said something about that they already fixed it, it should be fine, just to push the button for extra when I feel pain. I swear, I had to do this for the last 8 hours of labor, because I felt every single contraction in my left side. Oh, and also, after that 1 hour of pit, just because I had progressed 1-2 cm, they TURNED IT OFF! My doctor came in at like noon and broke my water (slight meconium in it). The nurses said that soon after that if I wasn't progressing on my own, they were gonna start the pit back up. They checked me 2 hours later, and I was 4-5, still 80% effaced, 0 station. So I guess they decided a centimeter in 2 hours was enough progress not to start it back up? Anyway, I had to ask for ice chips like every 30 minutes, and the nurses acted like they were sneaking them to me because I wasn't supposed to have them or something (but that morphine/phenergan combo on Sunday afternoon gave me cottonmouth for 2 days straight, the least they could have done was not be so b-witchy about the dang ice chips). Anyway, they checked me again 2 hours later, and I was 5-6. So I was progressing about a cm every 2 hours. So by this time, it was about 8 pm and I was like omg he has to be coming soon. So I asked to be checked, I was 6-7, 80%, +1. At 10 pm, I was 7 cm, still 80% and +1. I told the nurse this doesn't make any sense, why am I not getting pitocin if I'm not really progressing like I should be. She was like lets give it another hour and if there's no progress we'll ask the doctor about pit. An hour rolls by, now I'm 7-8 (I don't really buy this, I just think she added the 8 so she didn't have to start the pit). So then another hour goes by, now she says I'm 8-9 and if I don't go to 9-10 in the next hour then she'll start the pit (oh, btw, meanwhile, I have a 102 fever and my bp is thru the roof!). I had had it. I finally yelled out NO! I said I want the pit now or to talk to the doctor. She called the doctor and asked about the pit and he said yeah, of course, like I was supposed to have had it the whole time anyway (I really think I was and the nurses were just being witches!) Anyway, she starts it, and my contractions pick up. 10 minutes later, my doctor walked in. He checked me and I was 9. He said all that was left was the anterior lip and it was swollen, so I could labor for 3-4 more hours or do a c-section. At this point, I had had almost no food for 2 days, a fever, high bp and cotton mouth. Plus his head had been at 0-+1 for like 10 hours, so I was like that's it, we're doing a c-section. There is no way we're dragging this out another 3-4 more hours, just to find out we have to do a c-section anyway because of the swelling. By this point, its like 12:15 am. The anesthesiologist that was on now, came in and asked about my epi. I told him that it didn't take on the left side. So he took it out and decided we'd do a spinal in the OR. Got wheeled to the OR at about 12:30 and got the spinal. At about 12:45 surgery started, and Robert Jackson Cummings was born at 1:01 am on April 26, 2011 weighing 7 lb 3 oz, 20.5 in long. The first time I heard him cry, it hit me like a ton of bricks, and I cried too! Rob was crying and was like oh my God, you gave me a son! They gave him to Rob, and he came over so I could kiss the baby, then they both went to the nursery while they were closing me up. He took nursery pics like crazy (lol, as I'm sure yall saw) and my parents and best friend got to see him through the glass before they went home. They brought me back to the recovery room and I was there for like 2 hours (during then the nurse brought Jax to me for his first feeding, as I requested) and then they brought me to my room I'd be staying in for the rest of the week. I cannot believe I was in the hospital for 6 days, 5 nights!

thank you gypsystar for my wonderful siggy!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0